What gun to choose

Luke97
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi, I'm going to give airsoft a try over the summer and rent out for a few games first. I was looking for advice on what gun to get, looking to spend between 75-125 on either a 2tone or a clear gun as im not 18 for 3 years. I like the looks of AKs and M4s but don't know if a decent one will be in my price range. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Supporters

Your parents would have to buy you a 2-tone for starters, if you're under 18 you can't buy any imitation firearms, full stop.

If you're renting then that'll give you plenty of opportunity to get hands on with a few different types of weapons and find out what you like, that's all the experience you'll need to make a decision, nobody else can tell you what you're going to find comfortable/enjoyable to use.

As for the budget.. back at the height of the clone guns era then yeah £100 could get you a decent CYMA AK, not so sure now-a-days, think you're pushing a bit closer towards the £175 mark, bearing in mind you'll also need cash for batteries, mags, BBs a charger and high quality eye protection.

Your parents would have to buy you a 2-tone for starters, if you're under 18 you can't buy any imitation firearms, full stop.

If you're renting then that'll give you plenty of opportunity to get hands on with a few different types of weapons and find out what you like, that's all the experience you'll need to make a decision, nobody else can tell you what you're going to find comfortable/enjoyable to use.

As for the budget.. back at the height of the clone guns era then yeah £100 could get you a decent CYMA AK, not so sure now-a-days, think you're pushing a bit closer towards the £175 mark, bearing in mind you'll also need cash for batteries, mags, BBs a charger and high quality eye protection.

So looking at between 150 and 175 would be a better price range, are extra mags a necessary? Would you say roughly 200 for everything then ? Thanks

If you're going to use high caps, then yes. Don't forget you'll need a battery too.

If you want midcaps...around £250

• Supporters

That 150 was just for the rifle, and even that's pushing it a bit. An extra hi-cap, 2 batteries, a charger, BBs and some decent eye-pro will likely end up with you looking more in the £250 region (minimum) all in; very roughly speaking.

That 150 was just for the rifle, and even that's pushing it a bit. An extra hi-cap, 2 batteries, a charger, BBs and some decent eye-pro will likely end up with you looking more in the £250 region (minimum) all in; very roughly speaking.

Ok, so looking to spend 170ish just for the gun and about 60-70 for the rest. Would i be able to buy a better set up for the same amount second hand do you think ?

you like AK's?

Cyma cm028 is the perfect starter gun for that. They are £120-130 new and around £100 second hand. Plastic bodied (which makes no difference), good internals and good guns all over. Metal bodied cymas start around £160, but are quite heavy if you are a younger lad. Ak hicaps are around £10 each either second hand or on ebay and a battery is about £12-15 from component shop. So for £200 you could get a gun, couple of mags, battery and cheap tactical vest and some cheap combats and you are hot to trot.

In fact there is one for sale which can be 2 toned

http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/?showtopic=10781

As for buying cheaper second hand, yes you can (well your parents can), but you do need to have a good look around and compare lots of options. Clothing and kit as well as accessories are good things to pick up second hand.

check out the G&G range of guns, they make some good ones.

http://www.proairsoftsupplies.co.uk/acatal...t_machine_.html

http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info...roducts_id=6981

http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info...roducts_id=7030

http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info...roducts_id=5646

all you will need is:

eye protection (check what the rules are at your local site for what they require u18s to wear)

gun

battery(would recommend getting 2 incase 1 fails you always have a spare)

charger

id say get a couple of extra highcap mags

some boots! (it will keep your ankles in one piece)

a belt and a couple of pouchs

Apart from the fact that you wouldn't be able to be registered on the UKARA database until you hit 18; what you are wouldn't affect another person, so yes; the person buying the RIF *would* have to be registered.

Apart from the fact that you wouldn't be able to be registered on the UKARA database until you hit 18; what you are wouldn't affect another person, so yes; the person buying the RIF *would* have to be registered.

Oh right, I though I had read somewhere that you could get a junior one.

theres some sites that offer a junior membership but that is nothing to do with ukara thats their own Money Making scheme.

Fixed that for you! :D

from what i remember action hobbies has a m4 for your price range and a g36c hope this helps

• Supporters

As someone else said - boots. Good military boots are a must: you need to be confident that you can run through and jump into anything the site might consist of without looking too carefully where you're going, because you're watching for the enemy.

I'd also add gloves as a must - partly so you can crawl through whatever muck/brambles etc. might be in where you want to take cover, but also because getting shot in the hand can really hurt and it happens more frequently than you'd expect. You can get some plastic armoured gloves on eBay for £7 new but beware - the sizes can be smaller than you'd expect from the label so ask for a measurement in cm.

• Supporters

I tend to get shot in the head and only in the Head... but Knee Pads or My preffered option Combat trouser with them built in aswell

• Supporters
I tend to get shot in the head and only in the Head... but Knee Pads or My preffered option Combat trouser with them built in aswell

Yeah I don't think I could get on without kneepads either but plenty of people do. Do you reckon those kecks with pads built in are good then? I'd imagined they would twist and the pad slip around to the side...

• Supporters

Built-in knee pads are absolutely the way forward. I've got 4 pairs of 5.11 TDUs and a pair of Propper ATACS-AU trousers with internal neoprene pads, Crye Gen 2s, Gen 3s and some 'Ultimate Direct Actions's from UR-Tactical all with external plastic pads; love em all. I couldn't imagine going back to the old way now, and when I have to wear CS95s for work with no pads at all it just feels horrible by comparison.

Archived