A Newbie with lots of questions.

whisky one-four
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

The title says it all.

A group of friends and i will, eventually, start making a film about the British Army in the 1980's.

I was thinking of buying an Airsoft SA80 and strip out the operating mechanism, then spray the weapon the correct colour (leaving certain parts bright orange). The filming would take place in a local public park, would i still need to register with skirmishers and would i be able to brandish the 'weapon' whilst filming.

The filming would be in the woods away from the main car park (the park is owned by the local council), but still on the grounds.

The title says it all.

A group of friends and i will, eventually, start making a film about the British Army in the 1980's.

I was thinking of buying an Airsoft SA80 and strip out the operating mechanism, then spray the weapon the correct colour (leaving certain parts bright orange). The filming would take place in a local public park, would i still need to register with skirmishers and would i be able to brandish the 'weapon' whilst filming.

The filming would be in the woods away from the main car park (the park is owned by the local council), but still on the grounds.

Wait!

It dosnt matter if you take out the guts you still cant spray it, and you MUST contact the local police force and telling them what you are doing so you dont get CO19 pointing guns at you.

So basicly it is not the best idea.

• Supporters

Your best bet is to inform all those involved and see if you can't get some special permissions.

You could let the council know what you're planning to ensure they're happy for you to use the land, you'd need to also inform the police to make sure they don't have a problem with it.

Lastly, you might be able to borrow the guns you're after from an airsoft shop, I know they've lent equipment to filming groups and parties before, such as the Gadget Show, but they were borrowing two tones - hence the special permissions.

Without the right authority what you're planning is highly illegal.

Thanks for letting me know!

We aren't going to start filming for at least two years.

Looks like i've got a lot of letters to write.

Honestly, it seems daft not to be allowed to use the completely empty 'shell' of the gun.

We have no desire to fire the weapons at all.

I suppose its to keep Joe Public safe and not to waste Police time.

Thanks again

Honestly, it seems daft not to be allowed to use the completely empty 'shell' of the gun.

We have no desire to fire the weapons at all.

You could still hold up a bank with the empty shell of the gun as it still looks real. Its not that silly when you think about it.

• 5 weeks later...

slightly off topic but walking through worthing down in west sussex last week 2 paintball guys with a display stand and a m4 that looked as rif as it could were handing out flyers for the local club,

i swear from 10 foot away u would never tell the diff,

i do not know the sop of an paintball weapon but it had a magazine in place ,,,,,, i call that loaded wether it has paint / bbs in mag or not ,

dont fancy trying that with anything airsoft even if painted glow in the dark orange or stripped of all working parts

double standards anyone .....................

I've seen a similar airsoft display stuff at university freshers fairs. It seems if you have a massive sign or stand with all the airsoft/Paintball equipment (BDU's and stuff) I don't think the police care too much because its obvious its not a real gun and the public arn't concerned by its presence. Either that or the police don't know its going on.

I had a few of those rubber combat knives on a stall once for a martial arts advertising display at uni and a passing security guard picked it up and gave it a look before realising it was rubber, he laughed, put it back and carried on walking :)

Double standards, probably not. I expect if the police did turn up they would tell them to either put the gun away or confiscate it, would say 99% that the police didn't know it was there in the first place.

• Supporters

Actually Cops all over the UK don't know the law so wouldn't know their braking the law by displaying them

• 3 weeks later...

Not the best idea by far, hover if your making a film of the the british army circa 1980's well the SA80 didnt really come about till 85 even though it was tested and developed in the late 70's, even in the flaklands in 1982 we were still using SLR's so it probably wouldnt be that accurate.

SA80 design prototypes were trailed in 76 and it was in 87 that the rifle ws in full swing with the army and marines an if i remember corectly SA80 production was completed 94/95

Archived