New member looking for gun recommendations

Hey, I'm relatively new, played enough games to get my UKARA & now in the market for some guns. Up until I've been borrowing my mates M4 (which is lovely and a pleasure to battle with) but I'd like some advice on some of the best guns (fun & performance) out there. I know next to nothing about taking the guns apart to swap out parts for better substitutes although I have mates that do that & can likely help.

I'm after an AEG (or maybe gas.. I don't really know but my provisional thought is AEG):

- That fits in a budget of up to £600. Maybe more if I really like it. 

- something reliable.

- something that's not too difficult to modify if desired. I'm not bad with taking things apart but I'd prefer something that's not known to be an absolute pain to work with.  

- my preference is the larger assault rifles.. though I've seen a few nice CQB's.. not too choosy. I was keen on getting an AK47/AK74 of some description, but having doubts with plastics/mags looking a bit crap. Also I'm a bit conscious about the difficulty of buying extra mags. 

Essentially I'm a bit clueless, I've done a bit of research but there's some contradiction out there & there's so much choice I'm like a kid in an ice cream shop with 305 flavours & I'm allowed one (for now). 

Happy gunnin'

6 minutes ago, Covert_Bandit said:

having doubts with plastics/mags

Majority of AK mags are fine, even some of the cheaper ones hold up well in Steel receivers. 

7 minutes ago, Covert_Bandit said:

difficulty of buying extra mags

AK mags are available with ease. It's one of the main platforms nowadays.

The best thing I can suggest is, take into account your play style and areas you expect to play at. I.E if it's CQB, possibly smaller and easier to manipulate pews. The joy of airsoft is there's so many options. Another good (Or bad, depending on how easily impressionable you are like me...) idea is to look at what others are using, maybe ask to get a hands on with their pew if it catches your eye? That's how I got dragged into buying and building my first AK, my friend had one and let me have a play with it and now I've got about 20 of the feckers!

Welcome to the money pit that is airsoft😀

Nice to see someone going with something different to an M4. There's a reason they're called the airsoft clitoris (I'll let you work that one out)

AK mags are easily available and some are metal if you're worried about plastic mags breaking.

Are you wanting a rif with a metal or plastic body? Bear in mind that some of the better plastic bodies can be just as strong as the cheaper pot metal ones. Cyma make some good value AKs. If you want to spend a bit more I've heard good things about LCT guns (never owned one though).  E&L guns are also not bad

Sounds like you have a mature attitude so good start 👍

Stick to AEG for the beginning. I would say £250-£300 will get you a very decent performing & reliable BB slinger.

Have a search in the forum for recommended first weapon and best manufacturers.  (Obviously there will be a lot of M4/AK but might mention things to think about like attachments etc)

Remember that all AEGs work with the same basic mechanism so the shape doesn't affect performance.  Even barrel length may not guarantee better performance or accuracy.  Higher quality components (cost) will generally improve performance out of the box but its not guaranteed either and there is generally a diminishing return the higher the cost.

Basically, look for the style/shape you like the look of most and then research which one to buy.

Don't rush into modifying.  Its usually best to start that when you have at least 2 weapons so you have a backup.

Edited by EDcase

13 hours ago, JinxDuh said:

Majority of AK mags are fine, even some of the cheaper ones hold up well in Steel receivers. 

AK mags are available with ease. It's one of the main platforms nowadays.

The best thing I can suggest is, take into account your play style and areas you expect to play at. I.E if it's CQB, possibly smaller and easier to manipulate pews. The joy of airsoft is there's so many options. Another good (Or bad, depending on how easily impressionable you are like me...) idea is to look at what others are using, maybe ask to get a hands on with their pew if it catches your eye? That's how I got dragged into buying and building my first AK, my friend had one and let me have a play with it and now I've got about 20 of the feckers!

My play "style" is run around like a headless chicken, sometimes hide in a bush for a bit. Attempt to flank. Which AK models are your favourite? I might take some inspiration.

1 minute ago, Covert_Bandit said:

My play "style" is run around like a headless chicken, sometimes hide in a bush for a bit. Attempt to flank. Which AK models are your favourite? I might take some inspiration.

The majority of mine are LCT, my most favourable is the RPK & RPK-74 but I like running support weapons. Failing that, can’t beat a classic AK-74M. 

8 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

Welcome to the money pit that is airsoft😀

Nice to see someone going with something different to an M4. There's a reason they're called the airsoft clitoris (I'll let you work that one out)

AK mags are easily available and some are metal if you're worried about plastic mags breaking.

Are you wanting a rif with a metal or plastic body? Bear in mind that some of the better plastic bodies can be just as strong as the cheaper pot metal ones. Cyma make some good value AKs. If you want to spend a bit more I've heard good things about LCT guns (never owned one though).  E&L guns are also not bad

Thanks, I'm not overly fussed about metal or plastic as long as it's good quality, happy to pay for that. And of course, it has to look & feel good :) I've seen Cyma Platinum is recommended but there are some people also contradicting this so it's hard to judge.  I did see some LCT guns yesterday but wasn't sure about their reputation, you've given me some food for thought. 

8 hours ago, EDcase said:

Sounds like you have a mature attitude so good start 👍

Stick to AEG for the beginning. I would say £250-£300 will get you a very decent performing & reliable BB slinger.

Have a search in the forum for recommended first weapon and best manufacturers.  (Obviously there will be a lot of M4/AK but might mention things to think about like attachments etc)

Remember that all AEGs work with the same basic mechanism so the shape doesn't affect performance.  Even barrel length may not guarantee better performance or accuracy.  Higher quality components (cost) will generally improve performance out of the box but its not guaranteed either and there is generally a diminishing return the higher the cost.

Basically, look for the style/shape you like the look of most and then research which one to buy.

Don't rush into modifying.  Its usually best to start that when you have at least 2 weapons so you have a backup.

Good point on the backup if I decide to mod.. I do intend to get a pistol sometime. That'll be another 3 weeks down the drain deciding what to get. 

28 minutes ago, JinxDuh said:

The majority of mine are LCT, my most favourable is the RPK & RPK-74 but I like running support weapons. Failing that, can’t beat a classic AK-74M. 

Ay yeah I'd like to get a big boy support weapon too..  for now I've got my eye on this, potentially a winner https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/cyma-platinum-slr-airsoft-works-ak-74-aeg-kestrel-basic-etu

27 minutes ago, Covert_Bandit said:

Thanks, I'm not overly fussed about metal or plastic as long as it's good quality, happy to pay for that. And of course, it has to look & feel good :) I've seen Cyma Platinum is recommended but there are some people also contradicting this so it's hard to judge.  I did see some LCT guns yesterday but wasn't sure about their reputation, you've given me some food for thought. 

Good point on the backup if I decide to mod.. I do intend to get a pistol sometime. That'll be another 3 weeks down the drain deciding what to get. 

Ay yeah I'd like to get a big boy support weapon too..  for now I've got my eye on this, potentially a winner https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/cyma-platinum-slr-airsoft-works-ak-74-aeg-kestrel-basic-etu

Cyma AK’s are absolutely amazing internally, from what I’ve read and heard. Never actually owned one, but know that a lot of people swear by them. Another good alternative is the specna arms J series with the gate aster etc, but patrolbase seems to have removed them from their site

I've owned a few cyma guns over the years and the internals have all been great. Unfortunately the plastic bodies of the cheaper models can be a bit crap though but the platinum range are good.

Edited by Cannonfodder

17 minutes ago, JinxDuh said:

Cyma AK’s are absolutely amazing internally, from what I’ve read and heard. Never actually owned one, but know that a lot of people swear by them. Another good alternative is the specna arms J series with the gate aster etc, but patrolbase seems to have removed them from their site

I've committed.. purchased the linked AK74, hopefully arrives tomorrow. I have a game on Saturday wish me luck. Well excited!

I wonder if the Cyma platinum v3 has been fixed yet. The first batch the 1st tooth of the sector gear would clip the 2nd tooth on the piston slightly. In theory it should be fine but not the quality you would expect from their platinum series.

5 hours ago, Covert_Bandit said:

I've committed.. purchased the linked AK74, hopefully arrives tomorrow. I have a game on Saturday wish me luck. Well excited!

If you'd be so kind to post a little clip of the noise it makes when you plug a battery in that'd be much appreciated - I bought the same '74 back in January but the one you linked states it's got a Kestrel eshooter MOSFET inside and I'm curious if it's a different unit to what's in mine.

spacer.png

Enjoy your pew!

Don't buy into gas as a new player it's simply too much money involved for no benefit.

If you're dead set on an AK, I'd spend money on Arcturus, Cyma, Specna (depends on internals).

1 hour ago, pyromancer6 said:

If you'd be so kind to post a little clip of the noise it makes when you plug a battery in that'd be much appreciated - I bought the same '74 back in January but the one you linked states it's got a Kestrel eshooter MOSFET inside and I'm curious if it's a different unit to what's in mine.

spacer.png

Enjoy your pew!

Oooof that looks rather tasty. Sure thing, should be here tomorrow and if it's not, then.. well I won't have a gun to threaten anyone with so I guess I'll wait. But I will be grumpy. 

57 minutes ago, Krisz said:

Don't buy into gas as a new player it's simply too much money involved for no benefit.

If you're dead set on an AK, I'd spend money on Arcturus, Cyma, Specna (depends on internals).

Purchased a Cyma platinum AK74 AEG.. didn't realise gas sinks that much more money than AEG but I haven't done any homework on gas. I'm guessing the only benefit is that you get more of a realistic kickback from the gun idk. I might get a gas sidearm later down the line. 

1 hour ago, Covert_Bandit said:

Oooof that looks rather tasty. Sure thing, should be here tomorrow and if it's not, then.. well I won't have a gun to threaten anyone with so I guess I'll wait. But I will be grumpy. 

I wouldn't hold your breath with PB's amazing track records with Friday deliveries.. (at least in my experience lol)

1 hour ago, Covert_Bandit said:

I'm guessing the only benefit is that you get more of a realistic kickback from the gun idk. I might get a gas sidearm later down the line.

Gas rifles are inferior pure-performance wise to a decent AEG but have the added benefit of being cool as fuck alongside reinforcing good habits which'll make you a better player in the long run (ammo management, actually being a good shot lol, etc) alongside being much cheaper to run ammo wise because you're not just wanking off 220 round midcaps in ten seconds and actually have to make your shots count which'll make it last longer - decent gas rifles usually have good-enough hop systems to utilize heavy ammo out of the box which'll make your 30~ rounds more consistent compared to other out of the box AEGs (although this depends on gun to gun)

Gas pistols are an excellent gateway though as they're relatively inexpensive, widely used, usually have a fun & satifying manual of arms for extreme larping around the house and AEPs are, well - AEPs. Would recommend one down the line for sure, esp. so if it's a common platform such as a glock or capa so you can actually get aftermarket support if things go wrong (**cries in USPtism)

Edited by pyromancer6

Gas rifles are expensive to get set up, with mags costing from around £40 to £50 a pop and only holding up to 50 bbs you'd need a few. Also with GBB guns you need to be far more proactive with maintenance. However they more than make up for this by being more fun. This lower capacity mags means you've got to pick your shots rather than dump rounds into every bush that moves so hits are far more satisfying.

As @pyromancer6posted GBB pistols are a great way of getting into gas guns. They're also extremely useful in cqb or thick bushes at woodland sites where their small size is an advantage when moving through tight spaces. 

Edited by Cannonfodder

Have you had a chance to try different rentals while you clocked up the time to get your ukara?

I got myself a cheap two tone scar L at first to use at my local site & really liked the feel of the scar so got some more, I love bullpups so tend to take an L85 to every game day & it prob gets the most use along with my scar.

I'm more  of a collector than a player so plenty to choose from in my collection but tend to stick to my L85, a scar or an M4. I've ventured into the GBBR side of things but like loads of folks have already said... stick to aeg's until you decide what type of pew you prefer to sling bb's out of.

You'll prob end up buying a few pews eventually but try and hire/borrow different types before deciding... AR15 variants, AK variants, Bullpups, SMG then buy quality over quantity.

On 10/10/2024 at 19:20, pyromancer6 said:

I wouldn't hold your breath with PB's amazing track records with Friday deliveries.. (at least in my experience lol)

Gas rifles are inferior pure-performance wise to a decent AEG but have the added benefit of being cool as fuck alongside reinforcing good habits which'll make you a better player in the long run (ammo management, actually being a good shot lol, etc) alongside being much cheaper to run ammo wise because you're not just wanking off 220 round midcaps in ten seconds and actually have to make your shots count which'll make it last longer - decent gas rifles usually have good-enough hop systems to utilize heavy ammo out of the box which'll make your 30~ rounds more consistent compared to other out of the box AEGs (although this depends on gun to gun)

Gas pistols are an excellent gateway though as they're relatively inexpensive, widely used, usually have a fun & satifying manual of arms for extreme larping around the house and AEPs are, well - AEPs. Would recommend one down the line for sure, esp. so if it's a common platform such as a glock or capa so you can actually get aftermarket support if things go wrong (**cries in USPtism)

Well, you weren't wrong but I wouldn't totally blame PB. Hyped myself up for delivery Friday, got the "delivery expected between these times" message through yadda yadda.. received a call from our stores team (I ordered it to work) and came into stores to find.. my small box of high cap mags I ordered. No gun. 

Had to phone up & they explained the invoice address didn't match my UKARA address, well no shit postage at my flat is quite awful. Regardless I had it changed & it arrived on the Sunday at my flat after keeping a keen eye on tracking. Shame it wasn't ready for the Saturday game but at least now I can chrono it to ensure I can actually use it & buy some add-ons prior to next game. 

On 10/10/2024 at 16:20, pyromancer6 said:

spacer.png

Enjoy your pew!

As requested.. beeep

On 10/10/2024 at 20:16, ButcherBill said:

Have you had a chance to try different rentals while you clocked up the time to get your ukara?

I got myself a cheap two tone scar L at first to use at my local site & really liked the feel of the scar so got some more, I love bullpups so tend to take an L85 to every game day & it prob gets the most use along with my scar.

I'm more  of a collector than a player so plenty to choose from in my collection but tend to stick to my L85, a scar or an M4. I've ventured into the GBBR side of things but like loads of folks have already said... stick to aeg's until you decide what type of pew you prefer to sling bb's out of.

You'll prob end up buying a few pews eventually but try and hire/borrow different types before deciding... AR15 variants, AK variants, Bullpups, SMG then buy quality over quantity.

No, not really. I've simply been borrowing my friends guns, he has 2 M4's I've been running around with. They're great but I wanted something a bit different hence the AK. It's a great idea though, having a gander at some rentals.  

2 hours ago, Covert_Bandit said:

Well, you weren't wrong but I wouldn't totally blame PB. Hyped myself up for delivery Friday, got the "delivery expected between these times" message through yadda yadda.. received a call from our stores team (I ordered it to work) and came into stores to find.. my small box of high cap mags I ordered. No gun. 

Had to phone up & they explained the invoice address didn't match my UKARA address, well no shit postage at my flat is quite awful. Regardless I had it changed & it arrived on the Sunday at my flat after keeping a keen eye on tracking. Shame it wasn't ready for the Saturday game but at least now I can chrono it to ensure I can actually use it & buy some add-ons prior to next game. 

As requested.. beeep

No, not really. I've simply been borrowing my friends guns, he has 2 M4's I've been running around with. They're great but I wanted something a bit different hence the AK. It's a great idea though, having a gander at some rentals.  

Classic - PB's "friday" delivery happened to me last week too so I had to borrow ammo on site from a mate rather than have my own on the Sunday.

Also, yeah - seems they've ditched the CYMA/whatever the fuck mosfet's in it completely and moved onto the eshooter basic like they said in the description (I thought maybe the one that was already in it was the eshooter, but no - seems like completely different units), which is a good thing as the old mosfet had a thousand nannies and won't let you shoot auto the moment the battery starts running a little low which is a massive pain in the ass on the field when your gun just goes 'urr urr urr' instead of shooting the person right in front of you.