TM AKX Thoughts and Recommendations

B6_tactical

Hey everyone, looking to get a TM AKX and just wanted to gather some thoughts and opinions from current AKX users. I have a few questions that I would be thankful if anyone could provide some guidance on:

- Was wondering if any one had any reliability issues with their RIF, such as any dramas with the internals like jams or breaks after a certain number of uses.
- Any recommended out the box upgrades to internals, I've heard for larger BBs its recommended to upgrade the hop up nub, but was wondering if there were any other internal upgrades recommended.

- Maintenance recommendations, I've seen some people use a graphite oil to help remove or prevent any rust.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I have the AKM, which is basically the same platform and it's a fantastic piece of kit. Never had any reliability issues, though my friend had his nozzle break after a over two years of fairly heavy use; he used it for a lot of game days and the nozzle eventually gave up. Mine has been just fine, but I don't use it as much because I'm more into the MWS.

For upgrades, all I'd do is swap the hop rubber for a Flamingo rubber and swap out the hop arm for Jaeger Precision's hop arm as it's amazing:

https://jaegerprecision.co.uk/shop/p/ne7ayhxn2g8eyi4mpl7ulzbzkvl234-a8gw4

For maintenance, just treat it like a real rifle and clean and relube it after each game day. It's fine to use in the rain and I tend to use GBBRs when it's heavily raining because there are no complex electronics that can get wet and ruined, just make sure afterwards you take it out of the rifle bag and let it dry out. I usually field strip my GBBRs if it's been really wet and just leave the parts out on my desk for a day or two to let them dry before I clean and relube it. Don't put it in an airing cupboard though as that can dry out the hop rubber; just keeping it out and letting it air dry in a regular room is enough.

So I’ve had an AKX since the week it was released. As of yet, it hasn’t skipped a beat. The only “reliability” issues I’ve seen are so infrequent that it’s likely just bad luck.

my trigger box arrived in a non-working condition. But it was just a spring that hasn’t been fitted properly. Took 5 minutes to fix. But I’m the only AKX owner I know of who’s actually had issues of any sort that aren’t related to modifications.

I’m hopping 0.28s out to 45m and getting headshots. The hop dial is still down at below 50%. I reckon I could run far heavier bbs at longer range if need be.

IMG_8155.jpeg.cd07399c1590ee70c524dc8ce895687b.jpeg

Upgrades that are absolutely necessary:

- Bavtac/bowmaster/jaeger power down valve.

upgrades I’d highly recommend

- jaeger hop arm

- pink flamingo hop rubber

- Bowmaster 130% recoil spring

- Magpul MOE+ AK grip

Other upgrades I’ve gone with:

- bowmaster full steel trigger mechanism 

- tight bore SS barrel

- AB-8R stock

- Hephaestus steel selector

- Hephaestus steel trigger

- Hephaestus heavy weight piston

Maintenance wise:

- Clean the inner barrel out after every game day. If bought brand new, it comes with a barrel cleaning rod. Use strips of dry microfibre cloth or microfibre cloth soaked in IPA.

- I always wipe din the bolt and brush out the lower receiver after a game day. 

- use a decent metal on metal lubricant for the lower receiver and bolt. I use white lithium, but I don’t recommend it as it’s quite easy to over apply and make worse.

- use a decent silicone oil for plastic on metal surfaces.

- spend some time learning how to strip and disassemble the bolt/nozzle unit and the trigger mechanism. Hopefully you never need to open the trigger mechanism… but you’ll definitely need to learn about the nozzle as you’ll need to fit the power down nozzle valve. Jaeger precision and commie bear Airsoft do some good videos that taught me a lot.

Edited by MistakenMexican

I fight with myself to not buy this gun but for sure I will loose so, did you recommand the ibex NPAS?

I also have a problem to find upgrade/replacement parts. For my TM M4 MWS it’s easy, I only need to search using the letters "mws" but for the Akx…?!

If I put the 130% recoil spring AND the hard kick gas piston, I need to change something? Is the hard kick Gas piston necessary to get a nice kick or only the recoil spring is good enough?

Thanks

11 hours ago, zizivert said:

I fight with myself to not buy this gun but for sure I will loose so, did you recommand the ibex NPAS?

I also have a problem to find upgrade/replacement parts. For my TM M4 MWS it’s easy, I only need to search using the letters "mws" but for the Akx…?!

If I put the 130% recoil spring AND the hard kick gas piston, I need to change something? Is the hard kick Gas piston necessary to get a nice kick or only the recoil spring is good enough?

Thanks

personally I’d avoid any NPAS. Stick to a fixed valve design. Maybe NPAS have come a long way since I last used them, but fundamentally they were less stable and consistent than a regular valve.

for the AKX it’s quite simple - you just search AKX on a site like JKArmy or Firesupport. Everything explicitly compatible will reference the AKX. Some of the AKM stuff will fit, but it requires more research.

The 130% recoil spring is fine on its own. But if you’re going to open it up, why not change the piston head as well for a better experience. The heavy weight piston heads aren’t expensive and add to the recoil.

On 15/09/2024 at 17:36, Impulse said:

I have the AKM, which is basically the same platform and it's a fantastic piece of kit. Never had any reliability issues, though my friend had his nozzle break after a over two years of fairly heavy use; he used it for a lot of game days and the nozzle eventually gave up. Mine has been just fine, but I don't use it as much because I'm more into the MWS.

For upgrades, all I'd do is swap the hop rubber for a Flamingo rubber and swap out the hop arm for Jaeger Precision's hop arm as it's amazing:

https://jaegerprecision.co.uk/shop/p/ne7ayhxn2g8eyi4mpl7ulzbzkvl234-a8gw4

For maintenance, just treat it like a real rifle and clean and relube it after each game day. It's fine to use in the rain and I tend to use GBBRs when it's heavily raining because there are no complex electronics that can get wet and ruined, just make sure afterwards you take it out of the rifle bag and let it dry out. I usually field strip my GBBRs if it's been really wet and just leave the parts out on my desk for a day or two to let them dry before I clean and relube it. Don't put it in an airing cupboard though as that can dry out the hop rubber; just keeping it out and letting it air dry in a regular room is enough.

On 15/09/2024 at 22:30, MistakenMexican said:

So I’ve had an AKX since the week it was released. As of yet, it hasn’t skipped a beat. The only “reliability” issues I’ve seen are so infrequent that it’s likely just bad luck.

my trigger box arrived in a non-working condition. But it was just a spring that hasn’t been fitted properly. Took 5 minutes to fix. But I’m the only AKX owner I know of who’s actually had issues of any sort that aren’t related to modifications.

I’m hopping 0.28s out to 45m and getting headshots. The hop dial is still down at below 50%. I reckon I could run far heavier bbs at longer range if need be.

IMG_8155.jpeg.cd07399c1590ee70c524dc8ce895687b.jpeg

Upgrades that are absolutely necessary:

- Bavtac/bowmaster/jaeger power down valve.

upgrades I’d highly recommend

- jaeger hop arm

- pink flamingo hop rubber

- Bowmaster 130% recoil spring

- Magpul MOE+ AK grip

Other upgrades I’ve gone with:

- bowmaster full steel trigger mechanism 

- tight bore SS barrel

- AB-8R stock

- Hephaestus steel selector

- Hephaestus steel trigger

- Hephaestus heavy weight piston

Maintenance wise:

- Clean the inner barrel out after every game day. If bought brand new, it comes with a barrel cleaning rod. Use strips of dry microfibre cloth or microfibre cloth soaked in IPA.

- I always wipe din the bolt and brush out the lower receiver after a game day. 

- use a decent metal on metal lubricant for the lower receiver and bolt. I use white lithium, but I don’t recommend it as it’s quite easy to over apply and make worse.

- use a decent silicone oil for plastic on metal surfaces.

- spend some time learning how to strip and disassemble the bolt/nozzle unit and the trigger mechanism. Hopefully you never need to open the trigger mechanism… but you’ll definitely need to learn about the nozzle as you’ll need to fit the power down nozzle valve. Jaeger precision and commie bear Airsoft do some good videos that taught me a lot.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the help and guidance! Definitely helped squash any reservations I had about getting the AKX. Will be looking to take on board the upgrade suggestions for the power down valve and hop up arm + rubber for when I get the rifle out the box. Once again, Thanks!!