KWA akg-74m gbbr automatic issues

Gunner91

Recently bought a kwa akg-74m, shoots superb in semi auto, but when in full auto the bbs literally go about 10ft. It's seems to double feed also. Any ideas how to solve this? Appreciate the help in advance ๐Ÿ™ย 

I have just tried this in mine and it would appear have similar results in full auto. Thought it maybe the gassing so have refilled the mag and it seems to have improved but still get the odd one or burst where this happens.ย 
ย 

I wonder if the mag isnโ€™t sending enough gas on full auto so it feeds but only fires the first one well and the others just flop out?ย 

No idea lol, waiting here for info haha ๐Ÿ˜† seems likely though. Feeds the bbs and hits the valve just enough to spit them 10ft. In semi auto it's bloody fantastic.ย  I go to a cqb site so it's semi auto only. But still I paid a pretty penny and it doesn't like full auto ๐Ÿ™ƒย 

40 minutes ago, Gunner91 said:

Can I use different mags? Or do they have to be kwa?ย 

They will almost certainly have to be KWAย  GBBR mag cross compatability is very limited.

Thinking outside of the box... maybe the return spring is weak? or needing shimmed somehow and your mag is double feeding on full auto?

5 minutes ago, ButcherBill said:

Thinking outside of the box... maybe the return spring is weak? or needing shimmed somehow and your mag is double feeding on full auto?

Possibly I would say I canโ€™t see it being a double feed as the round pop out one after the other as I would expect itโ€™s just like the lose power. I could well be wrong but double feeds normally cause jams and this doesnโ€™t happen.ย 
ย 

I have sent KWA an email seeing if they have anything to say that might shed some light on the what is happening.ย 

KWA feed lips are almost certainly the problem - they're renowned for it across the board. They're too stiff, and means in semi it can pick them up, but as soon as you have plenty of reciprocation, it messes up royally.

ย 

For the LM4's you can convert them to single stack feeding, but that is only really an option for them, as nobody wants the KWA AK's, when other options are better.

I'm getting loss of power and bbs falling out of the barrel only on full auto. As for jams I haven't experienced that. I think I might be wrong about it double feeding bbs from the mag. It seems to leave a bb in the barrel for the next one to literally smash it through the barrel. I'm getting bbs that are chopped in half. Also tiny tiny white fragments of bb in the muzzle brake.

7 minutes ago, GiantKiwi said:

KWA feed lips are almost certainly the problem - they're renowned for it across the board. They're too stiff, and means in semi it can pick them up, but as soon as you have plenty of reciprocation, it messes up royally.

ย 

For the LM4's you can convert them to single stack feeding, but that is only really an option for them, as nobody wants the KWA AK's, when other options are better.

Ahhh makes a lot of sense. So basically use it in semi auto only lol. Not to bothered by that, I only go to a CQB site where only using semi is allowed. But still come on kwa sort it out. Anybody got some suggestions for a quality gbbr ak?ย 

10 hours ago, Gunner91 said:

Anybody got some suggestions for a quality gbbr ak?ย 

ย 

WE can fit RS stuff OOTB, the only thing needs doing to it is getting the steel trigger group from RATech almost immediately. Aftermarket availability on everything is significantly better.

ย 

TM ones are good, but extremely expensive and pretty difficult to get hold of the mags. Physically completely offspec (as with anything TM, because Japanese laws require it), so don't expect to be able to fit anything on them except stuff designed specifically for them.

ย 

GHK QC is dogshit, unless by some fluke you can find a used pre-2018 one, don't even bother.

2 hours ago, GiantKiwi said:

ย 

WE can fit RS stuff OOTB, the only thing needs doing to it is getting the steel trigger group from RATech almost immediately. Aftermarket availability on everything is significantly better.

ย 

TM ones are good, but extremely expensive and pretty difficult to get hold of the mags. Physically completely offspec (as with anything TM, because Japanese laws require it), so don't expect to be able to fit anything on them except stuff designed specifically for them.

ย 

GHK QC is dogshit, unless by some fluke you can find a used pre-2018 one, don't even bother.

Agreed not really a fantastic choice for AKโ€™s at the moment. Might be worth holding out for VFC 74mย 

Most of my GBBRs are WE and I cant fault them, although I haven't tried their AK . A mate has the GHK one and seems to have gotten lucky with it. He hasn't had any issues with it yet that I'm aware of.

6 hours ago, GenuineGerman said:

Agreed not really a fantastic choice for AKโ€™s at the moment. Might be worth holding out for VFC 74mย 

ย 

VFC can't get shit right first time, ever. So maybe wait 5 years until the Rev 2 appears.

Had a response from KWA;

ย 

Thanks for reaching out to us at KWA. Based on the information provided, I would recommend you fill out an RMA request. If you are inside the U.S. we can have our technicians take a better look and get to the bottom of the issue. If your gun is under the 90 day period and has not been disassembled or modified, it should be covered under warranty. Let me know if you have any questions. Have a good day!
ย 

That realistically isnโ€™t going to happen which was my reply. Letโ€™s see what they come back with.ย 

Yup, basically saying not our problem. Won't be buying kwa rifles again. I'll stick to TM for aks for the foreseeable future. Its a shame though, in semi auto it's very good, but auto is just not working at all.

The kwa was one of my first gbbr's many years ago. Full auto never worked! From filing down feed lips and the bb feeding ramp, it just constantly chopped Bb's to bits. There were several articles on it, and it looks like it was never resolved.ย 

Get a refund of you can! As for WE? Never had an issue with mine and was a great little AK.