Brand new, never played, some of the gear mostly no idea....

Hi, so always wanted to do airsoft but never really got round to it.

Recently got an opportunity to buy in from a family member who was stopping so thought why not. 

Have bought pretty much everything he owned airsoft wise so i have a rifle and 2 pistols but I'm looking for advice on good websites to buy from, good shop sites, ranges etc in the north west, I'm located in Lytham St Annes, next door to Blackpool. 

I currently have...

CM16 SRXL AEG Red edition - 7 mags, various sizes and a small scope, couple of batteries and charger

Tokyo marui mk23 socom - 5 gas mags

Secutor rudis 1911 - 2 extended gas mags

Tactical helmet with full face visor

Vest with various pockets etc

Belt with couple of ammo pouches

thigh holster

various bbs

a tracer unit

Is there anything else you would say I need to get short, medium term? Thinking a chrono as I have no idea what anything fires? 

Thanks in advance! 

Welcome aboard!

You're right in thinking a chrono is a good purchase given that you may play at a site with different energy limits than the one your family member played at.

Is the visor of your helmet rated for airsoft? If it's suitable for paintball, you should be fine with airsoft too.

Suitable footwear is important too for the short term, particularly boots with good ankle support. They're not guaranteed to save you from foot & ankle injuries but they can certainly make them less serious.

I'm reluctant to recommend anything for the medium term until you've played a few games and decide you're keen on playing for much longer. You may find you have a different playing style where some recommendations may not be suited to it.

I assume your visor is up to spec (check with you family member what brand and model for peace of mind) so getting suitable footwear is definitely the best recommendation I can think of for now.

Hi and welcome to the madness.👍

Yes I would second the above from @Galvatron.

Do make sure the visor is up to Airsoft safety ratings. Also some visors do t provide protection for side entry of bbs. It may be best to get a pair of Airsoft shooting glasses/goggles as well.

Enjoy the sport,stay safe and call your hits 🙂

100% agree with everything above - get some decent ankle supporting footwear like some combat/hiking boots/shoes and make sure your eyepro is up to snuff, everything else is up to you honestly but I would 100% try a few games out first to see if you end up sticking with the hobby before spending a fortune on it. Chrono is a great idea as there's nothing worse than showing up on the game day and being turnt away because your gun's a little too spicy.

Just remember that in airsoft it's a complete coin flip when you're buying stuff sometimes - sometimes cheap isn't nasty and expensive ends up being shit, make sure to do your research and check out reviews and threads before buying anything, esp. if it's a new pew. You don't want to be spending hundreds on something that will just drive you up the wall after all lol

I also agree with all the above. If the visor is like the one pictured below I highly recommend getting some glasses or goggles to go underneath as there's some very big gaps where a bb could easily get through. Infact I'd be surprised if a site did let anyone play with just that for eye protection.

images.jpeg.af1da40ca6f4432afcd8203cb89f5728.jpeg

The only other thing I reccomended is a pair of gloves. Hits to the fingers and knuckles bloody hurt and even a thin pair of gloves will take the edge off

23 hours ago, stuartpool said:

Tactical helmet with full face visor

22 hours ago, Galvatron said:

Is the visor of your helmet rated for airsoft? If it's suitable for paintball, you should be fine with airsoft too.

Just for the record, no ‘helmet visor’ is rated for paintball 

ASTM F1776 is the standard for paintball goggles, which includes impact protection, but also covers numerous other factors with enclosing the eyes, greater face coverage, ears, main head straps, chin straps and allows for multiple directions 

The nearest thing to a ‘helmet visor’ in paintball goggles was the Angel Eyes / C2 Eyon, which was effectively a giant lens.  This never made it to production due to ASTM requirements.

IMG_3840.jpeg.0fd3e188e66d10d964172feda3a074b4.jpeg

15 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

I also agree with all the above. If the visor is like the one pictured below I highly recommend getting some glasses or goggles to go underneath as there's some very big gaps where a bb could easily get through. Infact I'd be surprised if a site did let anyone play with just that for eye protection.

images.jpeg.af1da40ca6f4432afcd8203cb89f5728.jpeg

More than a recommendation, for anything like this a proper set of impact protection glasses etc must be worn