S&T G36 Titan V3

JinxDuh

So I bought a titan v3 to fit into my S&T MG36 as I run it pretty hard and want some preventive measures.

Upon opening up the gearbox, there’s a lot of material that I would need to remove to fit the Titan.

Has anybody managed to fit the titan into an S&T? Is the material removal fine to do? I’ve already removed a small chunk to test so no going back really anyway 😬

Update:

S&T with Titan v3 is FUBAR. Even cutting out most of the gearbox where it sits still wasn’t enough. 

I’m going to move the mosfet over to a JG as a test fit went smoothly. One other benefit is JG parts are easier to get ahold of. 

Update/Day 2:

JG Gearbox has successfully had it's Titan installed. Quite chuffed, it went in smoothly but man GATE's instructions are an absolute waste of time for the v3 titan. A lot of guessing but it all works... Well, I had to put the selector to "AK Mode" for it to shoot full auto on auto, and semi on semi but it works!

HOWEVER...

Upon putting the pew back together, I noticed a small chip on my hop up. I took it out to discover the plastic had broken on the locking lugs and with it being an S&T/Ares/VFC finding a replacement is going to suck... Starting to really fall out of love with the G36. I wish the JG style would fit in as replacements are everywhere (And so are the upgraded ones)

But progress is progress, if it comes to it I have a spare G36C I can take the hop unit from.

40 minutes ago, gavinkempsell said:

The S&T/Umarex is different bud. I had a look when you suggested it earlier. I’ve bought a cheap one from China by a company called “wii tech” that apparently does fit. If not, by the time it’s here I’d of recovered funds after splashing on an m16 😂

3 minutes ago, JinxDuh said:

I’d of recovered funds after splashing on an m16

:)

Sounds like a fun project. I considered a G36 for one of my builds, but the trigger/selector issues were what put me off in the end. Hope you get it all sorted!

1 hour ago, JinxDuh said:

The S&T/Umarex is different bud. I had a look when you suggested it earlier. I’ve bought a cheap one from China by a company called “wii tech” that apparently does fit. If not, by the time it’s here I’d of recovered funds after splashing on an m16 😂

Wii Tech stuff is pretty decent.

12 hours ago, Colin Allen said:

Wii Tech stuff is pretty decent.

I just hope it’ll fit the Umarex body. I’ve got a few other hop units coming to test them all. Ones got to work 😬

In a turn of events, one of the hop units I initially disregarded (https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/lonex-enhanced-hop-up-chamber-unit-for-g36-series) has actually fitted perfectly into the Umarex body. However when I went to test it all, my selector plate is lifting and getting caught, meaning I can’t switch back. 

TL;DR version: don’t buy a g36 they suck 😂

I can now confirm the Lonex hop up does indeed fit an Umarex G36 shell, and works beautifully with a JG gearbox retrofitted. I’m getting 336 with 0.4 variation on .2g bb’s with everything in the JG being stock (Minus the mosfet)

I haven’t fixed the selector, but my local regular site is semi only anyway so I’ve configured the titan to be semi on both auto and semi, and told the mosfet “semi” on the selector is also auto. Not a great fix, but it worked!

• 2 weeks later...

Update with the G36:

So, I fielded it Sunday just gone and it ran into issues with the safety cut off locking if you wasn’t very precise with your selector position. 

Whilst having some time today, I decided to strip the gearbox (Which wasn’t necessary after all) to remove the catch that handles the safety lock off. This has fully corrected the issue, whilst still allowing for the ambi selector to function as it should. The gun still has a safety, as the mosfet handles that part. 

The next and final thing to solve now is the selector plate falling off of its “runners” if not carefully adjusted and then the JG into Umarex should be completed…

IMG_4894.jpeg

Make sure both sides of the selector lever are even. If the right side is misaligned it will keep the safety on.

Only the last bit of travel removes safety.

That spring looks meaty too.

Also I suggest putting a ball bearing in the lh selector instead of plastic it you have a plastic detent in place. You can use one off an old thrust bearing.

Selector plate issue I'm unsure what you mean

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Sewdhull said:

Make sure both sides of the selector lever are even. If the right side is misaligned it will keep the safety on.

Only the last bit of travel removes safety.

That spring looks meaty too.

Also I suggest putting a ball bearing in the lh selector instead of plastic it you have a plastic detent in place. You can use one off an old thrust bearing.

Selector plate issue I'm unsure what you mean

Yeah, the selector is fine. There is no mechanical safety now, because I've removed the part that handles it. It's now done via the mosfet as mentioned. Both selectors already have the metal bearing done. 

The selector plate travels a few mm's more than it would do if the selector runner gears was the JG, as they differ from the Ares/Umarex/S&T/Specna. Because it's a JG gearbox in an Ares lower, if the runner gear is turned too far you can pull the selector plate out from the front runner. I've got a few ideas to fix the issue, and will post my findings once a confirmed way works.

Edited by JinxDuh

• 2 weeks later...

The saga continues 😅

I put some strong glue onto the gearbox shell to prevent the selector from being able to be turned too far. It’s not fully reaching full auto now but as my regular sites semi only anyway it’s not a problem at all, just set both modes to semi via the titan.

I was having feeding issues last time, and have been trying to diagnose the hop up which seemed to constantly have no issues… Well I found the reason. The Guarder tight bore barrel I bought for the rifle is bent, explains a few of the issues I had. Sadly the ZCI is out of stock in 363mm everywhere so project is once again on hold for the time being.

On 19/03/2024 at 13:45, JinxDuh said:

The saga continues 😅

I put some strong glue onto the gearbox shell to prevent the selector from being able to be turned too far. It’s not fully reaching full auto now but as my regular sites semi only anyway it’s not a problem at all, just set both modes to semi via the titan.

I was having feeding issues last time, and have been trying to diagnose the hop up which seemed to constantly have no issues… Well I found the reason. The Guarder tight bore barrel I bought for the rifle is bent, explains a few of the issues I had. Sadly the ZCI is out of stock in 363mm everywhere so project is once again on hold for the time being.

Could try an XT barrel from AK2M4, heard nothing but good things about them and I'm sure they do 363mm

4 minutes ago, pyromancer6 said:

Could try an XT barrel from AK2M4, heard nothing but good things about them and I'm sure they do 363mm

Never used a 6mm inner barrel, might be worth giving it a try though. Thanks 🤙🏻

47 minutes ago, JinxDuh said:

Never used a 6mm inner barrel, might be worth giving it a try though. Thanks 🤙🏻

Yeah, Pete talks all the time on here about how ZCI's quality has been steadily dropping since they changed hands with the new barrels produced to a much worse quality, which is why he's personally stopped stocking new ZCI barrels on the site

6.00 looks scary but from what I've seen and heard they're really good, granted you won't be using shitty ammo anymore though lmao