Forum file size

Sewdhull

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Yes it is, so just copying images and posting them in unedited 'willy-nilly' will soon eat that all up.

I use the ms windows snipping tool, paste it into paint.net, save as jpeg to a folder and insert from file.  That way my images drop from multi megabytes down to a few hundred K at most.  

If there's a more efficient way to do it (and I'm sure there is, I think there are other screen grab utilities that will shrink the final image and reformat), I'm all ears!

1 hour ago, Sewdhull said:

Is there a file size limit, I've searched but nothing pops up?

Is it just the max storage I have in the forum?

Account > My Attachments. 100Mb is the allocated amount per user. 

Not aware of an upload limit - but unless you have large PDFs or similar I don't see why your upload would be anything other than Kbs rather than Mbs, especially if you follow Mr McSpoons example and optimise the images beforehand. 

Edited by Speedbird_666

9 minutes ago, Sewdhull said:

Thanks, I can crop the image in the phone, I was just wondering about short vids. I'll look at the file size. Maybe use an audio file instead.

I've seen users post short vids (measured in seconds rather than minutes) when troubleshooting a problem (i.e. rough sounding or misfiring gearbox etc.) but anything longer I would suggest hosting on YouTube and linking on here instead.

6 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

I've seen users post short vids (measured in seconds rather than minutes) when troubleshooting a problem (i.e. rough sounding or misfiring gearbox etc.) but anything longer I would suggest hosting on YouTube and linking on here instead.

I realised that I'm a bit meme heavy and it was quickly using my quote. So I started to "link URL" instead of pasting the image. Works a treat and doesn't rinse my quota. 

For vids, I would upload them to Youtube, set them to "unlisted" (unless you don't mind other people watching other than us) then past the linky into your post - that way you are consuming Google's storage not your accounts.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.