WE XM177 Only Dry Fires

JinxDuh

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey everybody,

I picked up an xm177 GBBR for cheap, and it’s externally rusty and rough so no doubt left untouched for a while

When I was buying it, I stupidly only put gas in the mag and dry fired a few shots which went swimmingly

Unfortunately however, when I went to chrono it to see if an Npas was needed:

The bolt carrier group didn’t fully entry battery, all of the gas vented out of the magazine, and the BB in the magazine was left shattered.

I’m not really sure where to begin with looking for faults, however the gun is currently fully stripped down to de-rust it so can’t record a video of the issue. 

Completely strip the BCG , check for damage , relube / replace oring etc if need be.

check the hop unit , again remove and service and probably replace the rubber .

light lube to the inside of upper receiver for the BCG , 

strip mag valve out , relube etc 

try again :)

Edited by JimFromHorsham

Yeah, cleaning will most likely fix the issue.

Only thing I can think of is to check the BB feed lug under the nozzle isn't damaged. (The bit that pushes the BB out of the magazine)

You probably know this but just in case: Lube everything (including non mechanical parts as Jim said) with 3-in-one or silicone spray (NOT WD40) and NOT inside the hop rubber or barrel.

Edited by EDcase

So, just got home and had a proper look at the BCG and the nozzle has torn itself apart on a bad part of the actual BCG. It's getting itself stuck on the burred part of the BCG. My plan was to put RA Tech parts into it anyway, as I got it for a steal and the cost of said RA Tech isn't going to make the pew suddenly over expensive. 

I'm guessing it'll probably be more advisable to just buy the RA stuff now rather than source replacement WE parts from KY, to then later buy RA anyway. 

That being said, I'm already ordering parts from KY too to replace the bits missing from the rifle (Bolt catch, rear pin etc) and also getting some WE M16A1 parts to convert this over to what I ideally wanted anyway.

Looking at ra-tech magnetic locking npas aluminum loading nozzle set, RA Tech M4 CNC Steel Bolt carrier and RA Tech Steel complete trigger box

The RA Tech parts can be hit and miss. A mate has  steel bolt in his and it's fine. My steel bolt is in the spares draw and I'm using the WE one as mine just doesn't cycle right with the RA Tech. The trigger parts can also be iffy, I've had ones that work first time and ones I've had to fettle. Wouldn't bother with the nozzle, stick to a WE one with either an NPAS or restrictor disk fitted.

TBH the only parts I've had to replace are on the mate's L119 A2 and the failures were down to user error rather than the WE parts ( someone charged it when it was in safe)  Both my L119's are still all WE internals with the exception of the trigger parts in my A1 which I fitted because I had them rather than any issues. 

My 119's are my go to guns and both get alot of year round use with gas to suit the temperature , and I've not had any failures.

Maple leaf rubber and Omega nubs fitted to them and a Crazy jet barrel is worth looking at. 

15 minutes ago, hprentice said:

If you cant get it working and want to sell it on id be happy to take it off you mate. Let me know

Cheers, but that won't be happening. It's going to be used for reenacting, regardless of if it works or not. Just ideally would like to skirmish it too 😂 

10 hours ago, JinxDuh said:

Cheers, but that won't be happening. It's going to be used for reenacting, regardless of if it works or not. Just ideally would like to skirmish it too 😂 

Sounds like the very same symptoms my ghk experienced when I bought is used off a lad.

I discovered small smashed fragments of beebs, right at the front of the bolt/nozzle where it’s supposed to lock into battery

It was just enough to mis align everything!

Like these were MASHED in, didn’t look out of place there at all!!

I dug the remnants out with a sewing needle and it’s never had an issue since 🤞

Edited by Enid_Puceflange

I almost guarantee there will be crushed BB in the barrel extension as Enid has said above . Try not to use RAtech parts ,  they are primary contributors to "GBB don't work well" trope as their upgrades really aren't aside from in very limited cases

Only use standard WE parts in all

mine , in the early days Ratech parts were a bit better but I’d say WE’s QC has stepped up and generally above average and fit for purpose , plus readily available and cheap . Maintenance is key , dry gas and lube what you want to lube sparingly . 

Me again…

So I’m looking at the nozzle and:

The arm parts completely missing, not sure how I missed that 😂

Am I right in thinking the nozzle should spring backwards when it’s pulled out like in the last image?

IMG_4071.jpeg

IMG_4070.jpeg

IMG_4072.jpeg

10 minutes ago, woody_2231 said:

Your nozzle is beyond repair, stock up on some new ones. Yes the nozzle should spring backwards when pulled out. 

Thought so 😬

I found this: https://www.kyairsoft.com/we-ob-conversion-kit-for-m4a1-gbb.html

I figured it might be worth replacing the lot, as the guy who had it previously said it was quite old and it’s been sat around. Plus advice here seems to be more disregard RA Tech and stick to OEM

You don't need to replace everything with that kit.

Your bolt does look quite battered so might be worth replacing that and it comes with the nozzle.

M4 Open Bolt Kit #2 GBBR (kyairsoft.com)

The RA-Tech trigger group is well worth having as WE parts like the trigger sear wear out very quickly.

You can always wait until the WE one fails before upgrading to the RA-Tech.

RA steel CNC trigger set(for we M4 GBB ) (kyairsoft.com)

Or the whole box

RA steel complete trigger box(for we M4 GBB) (kyairsoft.com)

Edited by EDcase

1 minute ago, EDcase said:

You don't need to replace everything with that kit.

Your bolt does look quite battered so might be worth replacing that and it comes with the nozzle.

M4 Open Bolt Kit #2 GBBR (kyairsoft.com)

The RA-Tech trigger group is well worth having as WE parts like the trigger sear wear out very quickly.

You can always wait until the WE one fails before upgrading to the RA-Tech.

RA steel complete trigger box(for we M4 GBB) (kyairsoft.com)

Thank you! 🙏

The bolt has definitely been through it, it’s got quite a few chips out of it too. I think the trigger sear has actually worn out on this too so that’s a good shout

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.