Fill valve busted - how easy to replace?

RostokMcSpoons

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I had a leaky gas mag on my VFC HK416 during the last skirmish day, I've finally got around to taking a look at it.  And wish I hadn't, I've made matters worse :(
The leak appeared to be from the fill valve, so I did what any normal bloke would do... I tightened it.  The leak got worse so I tightened it some more - and then it failed.   Looks like I've sheared it through the thread..

234202693_VFCHK416Valve.jpg.4109a040a5ba512d9b28f335ae3fe613.jpg

Which means (I guess) half the valve is now in the body of the mag and I'll need to extract it somehow.  Any hints? (Or is it going to be easy and I shouldn't be asking dumb questions?)

Should I go with one of these:

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/guarder-magazine-gas-injection-valve-pack-of-two-for-kjwevfc
as a good replacement?

Edit: I took the mag apart as I realised that I needed to get some silicone grease on the o-rings and gaskets so they wouldn't irreparably dry out, so they're now stored in plastic bags ready for when the new fill valve is here.

This meant I could see what the fill valve looks like from inside the mag:

image.png.de8eced2f3c5754d69e02c11ab7471c9.png

Sorry for the shit focus.   The gouge marks on the barrel of the valve are my first attempts to undo from inside with a pair of needle-nose pliers.   I can see it's moving, but the tiny room I have to work in means I can shift it about a twentieth of a turn at a time.   This will be painfully slow work!   I might pop out and buy some more svelte pliers in the hope I can turn it a bit more on each go, but really I need a more cunning method of unwinding it!  

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

I'm thinking a small drift/parallel punch (screwfix here) and a small hammer. Place the mag in a vice (don't overtighten!) and use the punch at a 45 degree angle to gently tap out the remaining valve body from the threads.

Something like this:

I had a cunning thought based on the word 'needle' - I found a thick needle and pushed / hammered it into the external valve hole - and it gripped enough to let me spin it with no effort whatsoever :D

image.png.ff0f2e85c1912fba496f150c793a2999.png

Yay!

I've succesfully done the same with a drill in the past, bit dug into the remaining bit and spen it straight out.

Well sorted Mate, all part of the GBBR fun !

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.