Double Eagle or spend more?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

40 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

I can never quite understand why players bog themselves down with a ton of useless kit in CQB (i.e. plate carriers with hydration carriers etc) - you just end up making loads of noise and smacking into things. 

Now with a just simple micro chest rig, a handful of midcaps and your gun stripped of all unnecessary accessories - you can be very, very sneaky in CQB. UCAP Valiant (Dorchester Prison) lends itself brilliantly to this - epic flanks can be done if you maintain noise discipline and you can easily find yourself behind the opposing team who are completely unaware. Good times.

Agreed! I certainly go as light and unencumbered as possible, in CQB often just with a few spare mags on a belt and a pistol - whilst others have full on plate carriers, helmets with more attachments and wires than the average christmas tree, pouches everywhere. I suppose its a personal preference for the ratio between supposed 'realism' and comfort/performance. That said, three shots on a nipple from 2m away, with only a UBACs to protect it last time i played indoors did make me consider my options!

On 07/07/2023 at 07:45, Gunboat Diplomat said:

I’m yet to see a situation where a Spec Ops game is quiet enough to need the stealth of silent mags,

At 6'7", 130KG with a rig carrying 4 or 5 high caps and often an Odin full of BBs then I tend to go for the "fuck it and run" strategy over the stealth approach.  That being said - we flanked the humans in the Zombie game quite effectively.

And to round out this thread, it has arrived.  Good service from BBG4L, shipped same day via Parcelforce 24, but crossed the weekend so only received today as for some reason they didn't come on Saturday (Parcelforce normally always deliver at 9am on a Sat morning and get me out of bed, but not this time it seems).

Checked out the boy's G36 first, way more solid than I was expecting for its budget price and all plastic build.  Added bonus is a load of my existing 2S car LiPos will fit in the front stock so he's set for batteries for life.  Hooked up a 1-point sling so he doesn't drop it on the first day, but to be honest it looks like it could take a tumble and shrug it off.  He is smitten which is the main thing.

Double Eagle next.  First point of note is it seems they are supplying midcaps now instead of the advertised hicap mag (or at least they did in mine).  Not sure if I consider that a pro or a con yet.  

Measured the buffer tube and ordered a couple of batteries from Vapextech, but managed to get a few test shots with one of my spare (but too big) batteries hanging out the back.  Feels much more responsive than the rental guns I've used so far, whatever trigger lag there is is pretty imperceptible to me.  No idea on accuracy or power til I get to a decent length range and my chrono arrives from China.

Fit and finish is about right for the price, well screwed together aside from a couple of rattly catches and a bit of wobble in the stock, metal is pretty thin but then I'm not planning to hammer nails in with it and I have to lug it around all day.

Ergonomics are really good, all very subjective but fits me better than any of the renters have so far.

Not sure I'll be getting another game in until the end of the month now, so field testing will have to wait.

@Gunboat Diplomat One thing I would recommend with the DE is checking the grub screw in the flash hider. Just loosen it up and then tighten it up again. Mine was stuck solid and had to be drilled out when I tried removing it after a year or so. Another thing to check is the screw in the bottom of the motor grip. Mine for some reason has had red loctite put on it (from factory or middleman shop). I have no idea how I am going to be able to remove that as it requires heat and I don't know how to heat it without melting the plastic. Otherwise than that they are really solid guns. They may need some additional work done on them in 2 years or so time depending on use but they are easy to work on and accept most stock parts.

4 hours ago, JVacation said:

@Gunboat Diplomat One thing I would recommend with the DE is checking the grub screw in the flash hider. Just loosen it up and then tighten it up again. Mine was stuck solid and had to be drilled out when I tried removing it after a year or so. Another thing to check is the screw in the bottom of the motor grip. Mine for some reason has had red loctite put on it (from factory or middleman shop). I have no idea how I am going to be able to remove that as it requires heat and I don't know how to heat it without melting the plastic. Otherwise than that they are really solid guns. They may need some additional work done on them in 2 years or so time depending on use but they are easy to work on and accept most stock parts.

Cheers for the tip. Flash hider undid fine as I toon it off to fit my suppressor. Not tried the motor screw yet though. What kind of sadist puts red locktite on a service item. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.