Handgun flash lights

emilianoksa

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have a cheap Chinese clone of an x300. 

I have never used it for skirmishing. In fact I have only ever used it as a torch for finding things like springs and other little bits that have ended up flying away and disappearing on the floor. So it has been used for a minute or two for that purpose, and I have noticed that it gets pretty hot.

Is this normal, or is it only the cheap clones that behave this way? If I were skirmishing with it attached to a pistol I would only turn it on

for a few seconds before making a shot. For short periods it wouldn't heat up, but what about for longer?

It isn't going to burn me or anything, but most of my pistols have plastic frames, and I am wondering if it will damage them. 

• Supporters

If it's like my really cheap clone, it's a 5V LED being over-driven at 7.4V (more like 8V+) by the two batteries in series.  Bright, but toasty.  Not an issue in practice though (I mean, other than LED failure, but how much do we really use these things?)

Personally, I tend not to use a weapon light for long periods of time so there's less chance of the build up of heat. It may be that using it as a torch to find stuff is not representative of using it in a game - play a game with it and see how warm it gets.

I carry a torch for illumination duties, which can be handy at diverting fire and eliminating enemy hidey-holes if you leave it somewhere.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.