Medium motor... Sleeve

RostokMcSpoons

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So my SIG 552 came with a duff motor, I managed to get a replacement off eBay, but that died once it was in place (I may have nipped a wire during reassembly, it's tricky...)

I've still got a desire to fix it, it's a really nice little gun when it's firing... And I've found a motor on AliExpress for a tenner (plus a fiver for postage) which compares well with £40 typically here... Forty notes feels like a lot when I might kill it if I bugger it up again 🥴

But the Ali one comes without the sleeve... Is that easy to transfer from one motor to another?

18 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

But the Ali one comes without the sleeve... Is that easy to transfer from one motor to another?

If you are referring to the bit that sits on the motor shaft between the pinion and motor can, then yes, they are easy to transfer.

It's getting the pinion off in the first place that can be the problem. You might need a pinion pulling tool if it's a press fit.

Thanks!  ... now I am ignorant in The Way Of The Sleeve, how can I tell if it's a press fit - is it an absence of grub screws...?
Is this pinion pulling tool what I might need?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Puller-Pinion-Removal-Accessory-Vehicles/dp/B07XZB4WG2?th=1

Is it all too much of a faff ???????

• Supporters
1 hour ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Thanks!  ... now I am ignorant in The Way Of The Sleeve, how can I tell if it's a press fit - is it an absence of grub screws...?
Is this pinion pulling tool what I might need?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Puller-Pinion-Removal-Accessory-Vehicles/dp/B07XZB4WG2?th=1

Is it all too much of a faff ???????

The pinion will either be a push fit or it will have a grubscrew which will no doubt be embalmed in threadlock.

If it's a push fit you'll want one like the "large vice" version here https://www.ant-supplies.uk/assorted-tools/motor-pinion-gear-tool.html because the type you have linked to will only pull the pinion off, it won't help putting it back on.

Hmmmm, with that vice tool priced at £25, it's looking like I'll just take a brave pill (or three), and try my luck with the £40 motor that I can pick up from a couple of miles away (good ol' Action Hobbies), rather than a-fiddlin' and a-faddlin' with stuff that'll take it's sweet time to get here from China, and all that pinion pulling malarkey!

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.