Main spring wear question

Hamster82

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi All,

im wondering how common it is for a main spring to lose power over time and need replacement?

I recently changed back from an M110 to the stock M100 (which had been run for a year or two before previously) and am getting about 320 on .2’s at chrono.

Was getting closer to 340 from it before and wondering if a new m100 out of the box may get me back up?

TIA, Col

How's your air seal? 

If the spring hasn't been left under tension or compression then I'm not sure how it could loose power 

Edited by Cannonfodder

35 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

How's your air seal? 

If the spring hasn't been left under tension or compression then I'm not sure how it could loose power 

Air seal seems fine and shots are all consistent within a few fps.

when I got it I obsessed over checking the fps but not so much after about 6 months so didn’t really see when it began losing power, wasn’t sure if time and use could have weakened the spring.

Edited by Hamster82

It really depends on the quality of the spring material.  The majority of Chinese springs are made from cheaper Chinese steal which don't hold their shape and force (N/mm) over time.  It's not uncommon for a cheaper spring to lose around 10mm in size after the first 500 shots say and 24 hour compressed in an AEG

My Gearparts springs are made from Japanese oil tempered steel that is imported to the factory at quite a cost.  Before opting for that material I tried and tested 5 different chinese steel springs from 5 different factories and all the same, they all lost power over time.  With the Japanese steel I get practically no decrease in size, even after 400,000 cycles.  

320 on 0.2g with a M100 isn't bad.  Yes you could try a new M100 or even M105 spring but there's no telling if that will result in a better fps, closer to 350fps or even over.  If you're happy to test though and don't mind having the possibility of spare springs then go for it. 

What brand of spring are you using?

1 hour ago, ak2m4 said:

What brand of spring are you using?

Whatever the stock G&G ones are.

definitely has more than 500 shots before I swapped it out and it’s say u compressed since then.

sounds like a little trial and error may be in my future then, any chance you have a link for your spring? 

@Hamster82 sure thing.

This is the M95.  Originally these were supposed to be the M100 but on about 50% of the testers they were coming out to around M95 power with 0.2g.  However for many guns they were spot on the M100 range.

https://www.ak2m4.co.uk/gearparts-aeg-spring-m95

This is the M105.  For 50% they are a little too hot.  So AEG's with great compression you might find it shooting a little over, however great for AEG's where you just want to compensate for small airleaks.

https://www.ak2m4.co.uk/gearparts-aeg-spring-m105

In 2 weeks time we are taking delivery of the M100 springs which sit right in the middle.  

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.