Alternate Sig 553 (metal) Mags?

Stuow

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi,

Probably a strange question as cannot find anything about this but is anyone aware of a metal magazine\magazine outer\reel steel mag (with mods) that will work with the Sig 553?  Just bought one and I love the look and feel of it but (in my opinion) I feel the plastic mags really let it down, plus I'm not a fan of the notches on them either that allow you to join the mags together.

Like I said, might just be me so apologies if I'm offending any Sig purerists but I'd be interested to know everyones thoughts or ideas?

Thanks in advance all,

Stuow

That's how the real steel mags are(just better plastics) just twigged this is the gas section is this the GHK SIG? Then no there isn't. If its an AEG still no. There are after market mags with better quality plastic like MAG . Only other option is custom made mags or print this abomination https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/sig552-to-m4-adapter

Edited by BigStew

2 hours ago, Stuow said:

Cheers BigStew.

Yep, its the GHK SIG 553 and, no, that adapter will not be going anywhere near it.

Regarding custom mags though, do you have any recommendations at all?

There are no custom mags that I am aware of. 

2 hours ago, Stuow said:

Cheers BigStew.

Yep, its the GHK SIG 553 and, no, that adapter will not be going anywhere near it.

Regarding custom mags though, do you have any recommendations at all?

custom mag options are find a existing real steel mag shell that you can put the GHK internals into (no idea if such a mag exists) this will be the easiest method though if it can be done. Build a shell from sheet metal (not something to be done with out some metal bending tools and welding gear). design a mag from scratch in something like cad convert to CNC program and say good by to a shit tonne of money as there will be multiple iterations before you get it right. other option would be 3d print design to make a mould and cast your mags( much much cheaper than machining, can be done from a home kit but will time consuming and will be a lot of failures before you get it right.  So hate to be a nay sayer unless you have access to industrial rapid prototyping equipment (don't we all wish that) accept you have bought a niche gun with little after market support so what you got is what you got.

10 hours ago, Stuow said:

Thanks both, saved me a lot of time and effort.  I shall be happy with what I have as I love the gun!

Get some pics up!!

The Ghk Sig is on my list!!

Beautiful looking piece of kit, I’m still to see one in the flesh 🤤

I have the G&G SG553 since 2016 and I’d love for my mags to not have the coupling bits as it’s very very hard to use them with standard vests; they snag like hell and reloading take ages if that happens. Annoying.

I also don’t like the mid-cap mags, as I generally don’t like rattling stuff in my gear (don’t we all). I tried searching for alternatives, but sadly there aren’t any. G&G produces only two types of mags for SG550-series: 30-rd low-cap and 280-rd mid-cap, using Sig designs. There’s still plenty of supply on the UK market, although mid-caps are harder to get. I’m really close to just cutting these coupling notches off and being done with the issue.

MAG alternatives are hard to find but the design is still the same, only improved internals as far as I understand. I’d love for PTS to design a EPM-G for SIG. They already did that for AKs, AR-15s, recently G36, and possibly others.

Edited by shadowfacex

• 1 year later...

I know this thread has been dead for a while but I stumbled across these recently:  https://www.wgcshop.com/products/ghk-original-parts-magazine-shell-for-ghk-553-gbb-rifle?variant=32495959867473

Slight improvement as they're black (but they still have the coupling bits on them), I've ordered 3 so will see what they're like although I've not used WGC before so will see how long they take.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.