Changing motor in new gun

LazzurusMan

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I'm looking into a few upgrades on my new Ares Mutant, starting with a new motor, probably a u-30k or u-35k.

Just wanted to quickly ask, will putting a faster motor in ruin anything else in the gun? I'm just trying to up the rps and trigger response a little and don't want to have to open the gearbox as my Sig556 is STILL not working properly and I don't want my new Ares to end up like that.

• Supporters
48 minutes ago, LazzurusMan said:

Just wanted to quickly ask, will putting a faster motor in ruin anything else in the gun?

Only if it spins the gears faster than the piston can go fully forwards.

I'm far too much of a Poor to know if those (I assume) ASG motors are likely to do that with whatever's in your gearbox. I stick to putting cheap Chinese Big Dragon M140s in my cheap Chinese gnus. ;)

I've got a U35K on 18:1 running 7.4v 2200mAh 35/70C. In one of my AUGS. It's a bit too fast and double shoots until you've dumped a mag or two. It overruns by a shot or two on auto as well. Gearbox is standard, Trigger is standard V3 contacts and dolly on a mosfet. No AB.

The U30K I have is on 13:1 7.4v 2200mAh 35/70C. Very snappy, Requires a short stroke 2-3 teeth. 24ish RPS. Semi is about perfect. Standard trigger contacts V2 on basic mosfet.

Out of the 2 the U30K is the better motor it's a very similar motor to the 16TPA SHS/RA HT. On a standard 18:1 gearset you should be fine provided you are careful and try a 7.4v before an 11.1 and even then only drop in the 11.1 if you are happy to open the gearbox up and potentially have to do a repair if it eats itself. Personally I like the motors but if you are wanting the speed as more of a test with the potential of keeping the upgrade then save some money and grab a more basic motor for cheaper. The 16TPA HT motors are about £30 from AK2M4.

• Supporters
40 minutes ago, Iceni said:

The 16TPA HT motors are about £30 from AK2M4

Sadly out of stock (in long shaft) and he's taking a break at the moment.  That's why I mentioned the Big Dragon M140s.  $34.40 / £25.15 taxed and delivered from Ali Express, and they generally arrive within a couple of weeks. Sadly, with the stock situation being what it is I've started going to Ali rather than trawling through even the decent UK/NI sellers like ak2m4 and Bullseye, or buying the same stuff on eBay with a marked up price and lies about where it's shipping from.

Curiously, Bullseye have the Big Dragon M120s in stock, but apparently they're the runt of the litter: the M140s and M160s are fine.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.