E&L Platinum AKS-74MN

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi everyone, so I just bought an E&L AKS-74MN second hand, and currently it has the polymer hand guard and skeleton stock, and I was wondering, can anyone recommend some wooden furniture that will be compatible with it? Or at least the hand guard if not the stock?

E&L AKS-74MN.PNG

• Supporters

e&l's own or real steel will fit (usual ak fettling notwithstanding).

careful with aftermarket/other brand handguards as they may well be too short.

really shoulda tried the lct handguards for fit while i had it, not sure if they're the short pattern or not.

not much you can do for the stock, if you were going tactical then the newer designs (pt5, pt3 etc) would be fine.

Genuine surplus 74 handguards will fit but do require some work to fit correctly.

My E&L AKS-74 with Russian surplus 74 handguards.

AK74.jpg

Edited by Sniper780

Well in the case of surplus parts. It down to using a hand file and test fitting (multiple times) and filing away  material from the rear lower wood tab that slots into the lower receiver. In some case the front and side portion of front end of the lower handguard where the handguard retainer slides over and lock in place.  the upper hand guard may also require this as well. 

You also have to be aware that if you get early wood surplus 74 handguards they some times have a spring steel metal part at the rear,(see red outline part in pic) this means that the handguards will not sit flush with the receiver and there is a visible gap, but that how it meant to be so don't remove to much material other wise it wont fit properly. 

There are video on YouTube that better explain this visually than me typing it all-out.

Surplus parts can be a mix bag due to condition and manufacture. 

AK74 handguards_LI.jpg

Edited by Sniper780

The parts you link may fit with work, but they have some weird cut-out at the rear and protrusions that  will most likely will need to be removed to fit properly.

It also appears they look laminated but  looking at the other images, it would appear they are made of machine-pressed-formed wood like Chinese Chu wood, which is prone to cracking so. I personally would avoid this one, especially if you are buying from Evike due to total cost but it your rifle so your choice.   

Edited by Sniper780

Again they are very similar if not the same to the first one you linked just a different finish, also the hand guards look like AKS 74U hand guards, but with work they can fit  but you are also buying a rear stock which is no use to you  with your particular model of AK.

Cold War collectables has some parts and UK based and maybe able to order you a set I have personally bought from him  a number of time so he pretty good. 

https://www.cold-war-collectables.co.uk/parts-department/soviet-weapons-parts/  

There are a number of UK military surplus sites that sell AK parts just have to keep an eye out for them.   

Also a chap by the name AJ Egan Walsh I believe used to/ still does sell surplus parts on FB and Instagram I believe he based in Ireland not too sure if he still selling. 

Esty sellers also  have some very good surplus parts but they come at a premium and from outside the UK but are very good got the hand guards on my E&lL AK from a seller on there.   

Edited by Sniper780

LCT kits will fit with minor modifications 

Unfortunately the one you linked is for ICS AKs and they have their own proprietary set up and will not fit LCT, E&L pretty much any VFC based system. 

Edited by Sniper780

Good look with your search, you could also try and put a wanted ADs on the classified on here  for the parts. 

E&Ls will take wooden handguard with some filing. 

The stock you are stuck with unless you get the E&L specific 5KU PT1/PT2/PT3 types. E&L stock pin is 5mm whereas real steel is 5.5mm and LCT/Cyma is 4.5mm

Good news! I found a website in Europe that had actual E&L wooden handguard! Hopefully it will just drop right in.

I also picked up a brown bakelite E&L grip.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.