Swiss Eye Apache Safe for Airsoft?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Anybody using these Apache glasses? Wondering how safe they are for airsoft and some reviews from past or.present users of them. They're ANSI Z87.1 rated, is that sufficient for UK Airsoft(?) as seen on some other forums talk of the ANSI Z87.1+. Currently using ESS V12 and Revision WolfSpider goggle both of which are Z87.1+, but want something a little lighter and low profile.

I appreciate any replies :)

Many thanks 

• Supporters

a little digging it's a tricky one.

the Z87.1+ standard seems to have 2 impact tests, the high mass test looks to be ~7j but at a low velocity, their "high velocity" test seems to be about 1j.

as with all standards that's a minimum, so they could well be stronger than that, however there's never a guarantee and if in doubt get your local kickingmustang to drop a round in them point blank.

They test using a 500g ball at 127cm high and dropped. 
Meaning that at point of impact it will hit at 4.99m/s with 6.22J of energy. The + or +2 just means the same rating but for different type of lenses (prescription)

16 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

a little digging it's a tricky one.

the Z87.1+ standard seems to have 2 impact tests, the high mass test looks to be ~7j but at a low velocity, their "high velocity" test seems to be about 1j.

as with all standards that's a minimum, so they could well be stronger than that, however there's never a guarantee and if in doubt get your local kickingmustang to drop a round in them point blank.

So basically Z87.1 doesn't sound suitable haha The best I can do at the moment is to shoot them with a gun doing 350fps at point blank and see how they hold up. Assuming they hold out, would I need someone with a 500fps gun to shoot them still?

Given the distance that snipers tend to play from, a direct hit to the lens will be quite a lot less powerful than when it immediately leaves the barrel?

Many thanks 

3 hours ago, FirsthandSnow said:

So basically Z87.1 doesn't sound suitable

Its more than suitable. when measuring impact you're looking at energy it can disperse without failure. so z871.1+ is the 2015 revision marking to mean that it is "high mass impact rated" meaning that to pass they have to dissipate at least 6.22J of energy this is equal to a sniper shooting .4g bb at 570fps (which btw is almost x3 higher than what UK sites allow for snipers (usually 2.3J)

• Supporters
4 hours ago, FirsthandSnow said:

So basically Z87.1 doesn't sound suitable haha The best I can do at the moment is to shoot them with a gun doing 350fps at point blank and see how they hold up. Assuming they hold out, would I need someone with a 500fps gun to shoot them still?

Given the distance that snipers tend to play from, a direct hit to the lens will be quite a lot less powerful than when it immediately leaves the barrel?

Many thanks 

the issue is that while a sniper at med is roughly equivalent to a rifleman point blank, you have the problem that people can be running hot, or snipers can ignore/misjudge their med.

for clarity it seems the high mass impact test is specific to the Z87.1+ not regular Z87.1 so i'm assuming that without the + it's only rated for the 1j strike (again could be stronger than rated)

If I recall correctly from my past googling there are also differences in what the tests are between full seal goggle and glasses type eyepro in ANSI ratings. Something like Z87.1 being fine for goggles in airsoft as the testing involves higher energy but glasses about 1J like Hamster mentions.

There's a nice PDF I found from airsoftnews.fr which goes into detail about European standards (EN 166 and the like) which is a handy read. The Apache's are apparently rated for STANAG 2920, though I'm not quite sure what joule rating/numbers these are for.

I'd personally recommend going for something with a US MIL-PRF-31013 rating (this can essentially stop 12g buckshot at a few metres). I personally use ESS crossbows with a gasket kit and they've been doing very well for me the past few years.

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Shaydee said:

The Apache's are apparently rated for STANAG 2920, though I'm not quite sure what joule rating/numbers these are for.

if memory serves that's schrapnel protection, so ludicrously over-rated for airsoft.

i wanna say over 30j but citation needed....

2 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

if memory serves that's schrapnel protection, so ludicrously over-rated for airsoft.

i wanna say over 30j but citation needed....

I've seen revision sawfly which are mil-prf-31013 rated so will likely pick them up. Someone is selling them on eBay for £22 a pair with yellow and dark lenses so will give them a whirl I think...

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.