First Time Painting a Rifle

HuttArmouries

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I recently picked up this ak 105 for a grand total of £50. Its obviously been sat in a shed, repainted and abused for many years. It does however feed and fire perfectly. Im thinking this wouls be a great test bed to try out painting a gun. Up until now the only refinishing work ive done has been to get my guns back to a factory looking finish. Any advice or ideas? I will be building something to replace the snapped off threads on the gas block soon. 

IMG_5847.JPG

Halfords camo paint has worked well for me in the past.

I'm guessing you know this already but clean and dry the gun first, also remember to apply the paint in thin layers. It's way easier to add more paint than remove it. Last of all, do you have an old boneyard gun or cheap springer? If so then try using it to practice on to give you an idea of how the patterns will turn out and how hard they are to do

Are you thinking like a camouflage or like aged/post apocalyptic heavy used look or any specific direction? If cam then do you wear a camouflage ud like to match?

1 hour ago, remus said:

Are you thinking like a camouflage or like aged/post apocalyptic heavy used look or any specific direction? If cam then do you wear a camouflage ud like to match?

Probably camo. Most of what I wear is plain od green or forest camo of some sort. Not looking to match anything in particular. 

Plenty of different ways to do good camouflage. If you arnt sure you can practice on some cardboard if you don't have a spare rf or even nerf gun. There's a few really good threads here for ideas too. If you want something uniquish consider a few marks or such linking to nicknames or preferred movies... if your nickname is a nod to starwars plenty in it!

It's pretty easy to do but I suggest having a idea or rough plan in advance. Know what or if anything will move on your rf. Places where pain will wear consider if you will mind that  or would rather it plain black (so taped up from start)or if you want to protect it(varnish) and if aging is something you'd want to do.

Plan in head paints- iv used Halford a fair bit too. Probably the best easiest place for spray paints in the country too. I'd suggest 3 colours if going camouflage. Consider if you want to undercoat(I don't on rifs as I accept they will scratch back to black)Try not to get 3 browns unless going for desert scheme. If colours are too similar the effects will get a bit lost.  Whilst there you probably want to get masking tape.

Make sure to do a good clean... especially for oil residue. Some will say to break down gun to paint. This is your call. Get every crevice vs getting camouflage to line up... breaking down also means more taping. Tape anything that should not get paint in... nozels feed Chambers etc. Then what you want to tape(ie trigger trades lenses sights etc. )also it can be a good idea to use the stock colour of gun as an extra colour. When doing tiger stripe camouflage on my Aug and shotty I used the natural colours where possible and just implemented stripes straight away. I also tore the edges off the tape to get a more rough natural shape but depending if you want more modern straight-line use as need. Give the paint time between coats of colours and plan how you can turn it without putting hand in wet paint. I hang mine from wire from rafters in roofspace. You can also use leaves against rifle to get cool effects if aiming for woodlands but I'd do that only really on the top colour personally. If when you strip off the tape and such and paints have bled you can touch up with paint brush and spraying the areola into their own lids. Just keep it thin. As I say if not sure practice on something first. There's loads of video and pics out there to give ideas.  Will see if can get a few pics of mine later.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.