Hopping .32's With a 8' Barrel at 1.1j in an Mp5 . What Is the Best Hop Option?

Groot

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello,

I am building an itch scratcher. I have everything sorted but need some help with the hop.

Base gun is a Galaxy MP5K PDW ( gasp ). Basically, this is a total budget build and itch to scratch. More than anything else.

Basic plan is to:
· Mod the grip to remove the vertical grip. Violence and a Dremel will achieve this.
· Install a slightly longer barrel, 8-9" rather than the 5.5" it has.
· Get the hop as good as possible to hop .32's. 
· A suppressor to cover the inner barrel and give a tiny amount of muffle.
· Find a solution to how slidey the hop setter is. Which will probably involve a small pressure grip to hold it in place. Unless anyone has any better advice?
· Gearbox is to be short stroked for snappiness and a mosfet to control ROF. (Don’t want a speed soft wanker gun)
· It will then be painted in MC Black, cos why not.

That’s it…. Nice and simple. What do you think?

Photos to show what I am going for and working with. 

132583393_10164408408645099_610232371976

132321981_10164408408640099_731880813228

• Supporters

The barrel length alone isnt going to be an issue.

For the .32 range either of my 2 standard reccommendations work (pdi w-hop 50deg or ml macaron tan+omega nub)

The maple leaf would also be able to go heavier (ive used them for up to .48's at 1j) 

Slidey hop setting you can solve with a wee oring or such to give it a bit of friction.

Thanks you sir :)

9 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

The barrel length alone isnt going to be an issue.

For the .32 range either of my 2 standard reccommendations work (pdi w-hop 50deg or ml macaron tan+omega nub)

The maple leaf would also be able to go heavier (ive used them for up to .48's at 1j) 

Slidey hop setting you can solve with a wee oring or such to give it a bit of friction.

Question, when you say ML Tan. Do you mean the yellow colour one? As that appears to be 60'. Would the green not be better at 50'?

If you do mean the yellow, why this as it is rated for a higher velocity. 

Cheers

10 minutes ago, Groot said:

Question, when you say ML Tan. Do you mean the yellow colour one? As that appears to be 60'. Would the green not be better at 50'?

ML velocity ratings are useless. Plenty of people who buy 75/80° rubbers for their snipers because of these charts and end up replacing them with 50s and 60s.

The softer the rubber, the less pressure required to achieve X amounts of backspin.

Obviously it'll wear out faster, but we're talking hundreds of thousands of rounds (fuck me my old flat hopped prommy purple is 5 years old, has had tons of bbs and is still in great shape with barely any visible damage).

With that being said, I run a mix of Maple Leaf 50s and 60s because 1J limit and it can get pretty cold on our field (usually in winter we hover around 0° c). Patch design is up to you, so far I've only tried MR-Hops but I also have a couple macarons and super macarons to try :)

• Supporters
46 minutes ago, Groot said:

Thanks you sir :)

Cheers

In a technical sense yes the green is better, and i do preferr it for the super heavies, but it should also wear out faster (although hop rubbers are a wear component)

Either colour should be just fine for launching .32's.

The higher ratings are likely for hotter countries with higher limits, eg americans pushing all the joules in the desert

On 29/12/2020 at 11:07, Skara said:

ML velocity ratings are useless. Plenty of people who buy 75/80° rubbers for their snipers because of these charts and end up replacing them with 50s and 60s.

The softer the rubber, the less pressure required to achieve X amounts of backspin.

Obviously it'll wear out faster, but we're talking hundreds of thousands of rounds (fuck me my old flat hopped prommy purple is 5 years old, has had tons of bbs and is still in great shape with barely any visible damage).

With that being said, I run a mix of Maple Leaf 50s and 60s because 1J limit and it can get pretty cold on our field (usually in winter we hover around 0° c). Patch design is up to you, so far I've only tried MR-Hops but I also have a couple macarons and super macarons to try :)

Hey chap,

Being the master of maple you appear to be.

Do you know the difference between the Macaron and Super Macaron please? 

As far as I can see the super has a slightly shaved entry port to reduce blockages and looks to be designed for the Jet Barrel more than a normal barrel. 

Have you had chance to play around to see if one is better than the other in real world use?

Cheers

5 minutes ago, Groot said:

Do you know the difference between the Macaron and Super Macaron please? 

I happen to have one of each, still in their packages :D

I'll get some pictures for you either tonight or tomorrow morning.

And no I'm not a master of anything :P

As promised.

Super Macaron on the left, old Macaron on the right.

NlVlcpj.jpg

The Super has a tiny ring on top of the feed lip (almost unnoticeable) which I don't think does anything.

The main difference is in the contact patch:

On the Super is more pronounced albeit it looks a hair smaller and it has those two flat parts that match the walls on the barrel window (the new 2021 silicone decepticon has those too), they give the whole thing a hair more stability and even pressure distribution.

4KyGVxv.jpg

The Super also has this ring right in the middle that is supposed to increase the air seal between the rubber and the barrel, but makes it a smidge more difficult to install (it's really grippy).

Hope it's helpful @Groot

Also sorry, but haven't installed them yet in any gun. Actually the older macaron has been sent to me by mistake, I ordered a MR-Hop, but it's fine to be fair, they all seem to achieve the same exact effect (sending heavy bbs way over there with good consistency).

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.