Thompson Magazine Experience?

Alimcd

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So, you might have seen the Chrome monstrosity that I crimped off in the gun picture thread. My wife has expressed an interest in having a go at a game but only if she could carry something loud and ridiculous. 

One loud and ridiculous gun later, I’m almost ready to surprise her EXCEPT the Thompson Hicaps are just trash and don’t keep up with the gun.

Im hesitant to buy a pack of King Arms midcaps as I don’t think she’ll want to carry 5/6 magazines about. Hell, she doesn’t yet realise she’ll have a pistol on her waist and mags for that too!

Has anyone got working experience of the drum mags? The Thompson build is [email protected] and I would like a magazine that keeps up with the ROF but isn’t a total bastard to wind. Don’t want to put her off before she begins!

The Thompson drum mags on the market are all around 450 round capacity and are spring driven. so a lot of extra size for not a great increase in capacity. winder is easier to use but could not say if it will keep up with a non stock rate of fire.

• Supporters

How a bout butchering one of your mags ?, Either melding it with a modern drum/box mag, or to a mag adapter ?, allowing use of stanag mags, or whatever you like the look of ?.

I've done it a couple of times, always worked well for me.

Thanks for the feedback, 

The space requirement/capacity trade off for the drum put me off those originally and I suspect that they’re unlikely to feed any better than a fully wound hicap. Same issue with a different mechanism.

I hadn’t banked on how hard to wind the hicaps were, reminded me of borrowing a mate’s MP5. I spent half the game winding the effing thing as the wheel is so small and stiff. Wishing I hadn’t bought three of the bloody things!...

Splicing a Thompson head onto a battle axe or similar electric drum could work. Would be a fun weekend project too. Before anyone chimes in to say that it’s not “accurate” or “realistic” the gun has an RMR instead of a rear sight which sets the bar for realism...

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.