Tech Advice. Ecu and Barrel Length

Brye2112
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm looking to get an ECU for my Specna Arms RRA SA-E11 Edge. Currently deciding between the Gate Aster and the Perun V2 Optical. Has anyone used both? Which would you recommend? 

Also looking at putting a Madbull tight bore barrel into my S&T 417D. Wondering what length I should go for, 363 or 407. Anyone know the stock length. Debating extending the barrel through the mock silencer I currently have attached. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Go for Perun, the Aster has been causing problems to literally every owner.

Don't bother with long barrels, they do fuck all except screw your volume ratio.

Your 417 has a v2.5 box which has more volume than a standard v2, but I still wouldn't run anything longer than 360mm

• Supporters

what do you want the ecu to do? because if you just want to preserve the trigger contacts there are cheaper/easier options.

as above, barrel length on its own is practically negligible for range/accuracy compared to all the other important variables (fps consistency, hop setup, voluming, overall barrel quality, ammo weight/quality)

given what i've seen of madbulls other parts i'm not sure i'd trust one of their barrels though.

if price is a concern then i must admit ZCI's 6.02's are pretty damn good: https://www.ak2m4.co.uk/internal-parts/inner-barrels/zci-inner-barrel-363mm

6 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

if you just want to preserve the trigger contacts there are cheaper/easier options

That gun already comes with an X-ASR tho.

7 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

not sure i'd trust one of their barrels

Currently running a V2 python in my ARP9 and it's doing just fine :) But honestly I'd run something else, mine was an emergency buy.

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, Skara said:

That gun already comes with an X-ASR tho.

fair enough.

3 minutes ago, Skara said:

Currently running a V2 python in my ARP9 and it's doing just fine :) But honestly I'd run something else, mine was an emergency buy.

i've not personally used one, but i've had a few of their other "upgrade" parts which have been rather dissapointing.

the zci's are good though, my e&l is running one and with the current setup it's very very nearly as good as my m4 running a PDI. certainly for £19 they're a good buy.

The stainless madbulls are at least decent from little bits I've seen on the net and the pythons work ok (got one in a second hand purchase and had no issues, though only used in a game or two), they're both pretty expensive compared to other offerings available and the pythons are coated which I'd stay away from in the long run. ZCI are stainless steel and very well priced, pretty much the best price/performance barrel you can get on the market so I'd go for one of those about the same length as the stock barrel you have now.

The internal coating on the aluminium Madbulls will wear off in time.

Having owned several Madbulls (ali and steel) and ZCIs, I would say the ZCI is much better value yet performs just as well.

Thanks for all the info guys. The barrel change is really just because the stock Barrel and hop on the ST47D are horrendously cheap material. Gonna switch to a prowin hop unit and maple leaf macaron, so figured I'd replace the barrel while i was at it. 

In terms of the ecu, I studied electronics and want to play with some fancy tech 😂 

Was also thinking I can transplant the x-asr into the S&T 

5 minutes ago, Brye2112 said:

Thanks for all the info guys. The barrel change is really just because the stock Barrel and hop on the ST47D are horrendously cheap material. Gonna switch to a prowin hop unit and maple leaf macaron, so figured I'd replace the barrel while i was at it. 

In terms of the ecu, I studied electronics and want to play with some fancy tech 😂 

Was also thinking I can transplant the x-asr into the S&T 

If you're setting your 417 as a DMR then I'd dump the more serious FCU into it and leave the ASR in the specna.

1 minute ago, Skara said:

If you're setting your 417 as a DMR then I'd dump the more serious FCU into it and leave the ASR in the specna.

I was toying with that idea too. 

With the Perun, is the programming via trigger easy enough? Seems the main advantage of the aster is the gate control app

Gonna be honest. Been out of airsoft for over 10 years and just getting back in to it. Last time I played MOSFETs and li-po's were pretty new. 

Madbull was a brand name I recognise so was going with that. But will look into the zci 

35 minutes ago, Brye2112 said:

I was toying with that idea too. 

With the Perun, is the programming via trigger easy enough? Seems the main advantage of the aster is the gate control app

Gonna be honest. Been out of airsoft for over 10 years and just getting back in to it. Last time I played MOSFETs and li-po's were pretty new. 

Madbull was a brand name I recognise so was going with that. But will look into the zci 

It should be like the ETU upgrade kit I have, you get a nice card with the various settings :)  a bit tedious as every time you set something you gotta redo the whole procedure (2x switch from full auto to semi, clicking until you get to the thing you want to change, etc..) but it's not like you're going to set it every day. I mean, once you've done it, you leave it alone until it breaks or something.

The Gate app doesn't seem to work properly, if you go with a Gate product then I'd recommend looking at the Warfet, it doesn't look as fancy as a Titan or any optical FCUs but it's much less prone to fuck ups (installing an optical FCU can be a bitch) and easier to install (quick soldering job on the trigger contacts to wire the signal and you're done basically), plus it comes with a neat programming card that you plug between the unit and the battery and tune everything from there.

You may want to look at this video, shows pros and cons of the two main types of mosfets

Archived