Chargers

TomFarrington97
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey all, noob question here so be gentle! 

I only started playing fairly recently and when I first started I bought a cheap generic smart charger thar would just do Nimh and would cut off when full.

now I have decided to purchase a new charger, and got one of the Nuprol chargers which charge a variety of batteries as I plan to get different styles in the future. However I’m still on Nimh, I was just wondering at what amps should I charge? I have selected the correct battery type, but am unsure on how many amps, cheers. 

• Supporters
3 hours ago, TomFarrington97 said:

Nuprol chargers

An iMax B6 is cheaper than claiming on your home fire cover.

As a rule of thumb, you'll want to charge at a rate that would fill the battery in 1 hour.  So if it's (e.g.) a 1200 mAh i.e. 1.2 Ampere-hours, charge it at 1.2 amps.

Do keep checking the battery to be sure that it's not overheating, or running wild.  The charger doesn't know what a nimh is supposed to be charging to, it can only go by its resistance to the charging current.  Nimhs can go rogue on you - I've just had a nihm 1.2V AAA charge to over 12V, with some interesting fizzing sounds.  That's gone right in the recycling stash.

Mid term, you'll want to bin off those nimhs and go to lipo, which are lighter, can supply more power, are actually cheaper than nihm now, and are less fussy about charging.

Archived