E&L Gen 1 AK.

EvilMonkee
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So, I have had this gun for around 3 years now, its only ever had the spring downgraded to make it UK legal as well as a hop rubber replaced - I can't even remember what I have put in it.  It shoots lovely chronos right around 320FPS which is fine for my needs.  

Lately however, it has developed the habit of the first 3-4 BBs trickling out of the barrel then it shoots absolutely fine after that.  I change mag and it does the same thing.  Its not the mags as I have used various make mags in it with the same results.

Any suggestions as to cause?  Air seal somewhere maybe?

• Supporters

What grease/oil you using on the seals in the gearbox? 

We used a grease last year in my sniper that in the hot weather actually accrued moisture from the air and caused the bucking to be physically wet.

In the cold the grease had a tendency to go hard for the first few shots(seal was no good) and once it had warmed up was fine. 

I cant remember the name of the grease(my memory is always terrible), but just a thought.

I don't know tons so it is only a thought, but I would guess it has something to do with the hope unit/bucking. Also have you tried different bbs? Maybe a different bucking angle is needed or simply needs replacing 3 years of solid use is a good wear time. Again this is only a guess and thoughts as I have limited knowledge.👍

No idea about the grease but true it could be the bucking needing replacing.  Opening it up to find out is another big of tricks entirely....

• Supporters

The bucking is more likely, as you haven’t opened the box recently. 

Just wondered if if someone else had the same issue I did.

Sounds like the lube on the piston head o-ring has gone tacky or dry.

It's had 3 years of use it's due a service and new o-rings and grease.

A torn bucking might cause it, but I would not expect a torn bucking to correct itself after a few shots.

O-ring replacements are cheap you can get 100 for £5. It sounds like the rest of the gearbox is in good shape so I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's also a V3 gearbox so it'll be considerably easier to work on than a V2. If in doubt sent it out as it sounds like the gun owes you nothing having given 3 years of unmolested shooting.

Thansk for the input.  I am loathe to fiddle with it as it shoots so nicely apart from those first 4 or so shots each mag...

Archived