Gun advice wanted

Mathias33
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Yes I’m afraid it’s another gun noob advice thread, so sorry in advance.

since a rifle is pretty much the only piece of kit that need I to buy, I’ve been looking at basic M4 platforms for while I find my feet. So far I’m quite interested in this one;

http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-m4-m15-m16-variants/cyma-cm-513-m4-ris-suppressed-two-tone-red.htm

I know that it’s advised to rent for a few games but for what it costs it is pretty much the same as renting for a few games and will give me something to learn general  maintenance/tinkering side of life.

so, my questions are, has anyone used one? Is it actually any good for starting out?

cheers in advance.

• Supporters

CYMA make decent starters and they will certainly get you into the sport. I do recommend spending a little extra on a CM16 though. The overall quality is just simply better and much easier to work on if you choose to upgrade.  

The cheapest that I could find is here at £120: https://swasairsoft.co.uk/airsoft-guns/gg-combat-machine-aeg-cm16-raider

They're always in the classified though, so it's worth having a look to see if you can get it any cheaper. 

My CM16 Mod 0 came with a guncase, optic, 2 mags, battery and charger and I only paid £110 I think and it had barely been used. Just got to wait for a good deal to come up!

• Supporters

+1 to that.  The basic CYMAs are actually surprisingly usable out of the box, or at least mine was.  However, a G&G CM16 Raider is more usable.  Quieter, smoother, more consistent, and it feels more robust and better in the hands.

However to the however, if your budget only stretches to the CYMA, or if you want to buy one as a platform for tinkering, I'd say go for it.  As you note, rental costs are going to run you maybe £15 a day anyway.

However to the however to the however, if you want a gun that you won't need or want to meddle with (maybe throw in a Maple Leaf hop rubber) then I'd agree that the G&G is worth the extra.  You'll need to budget for batteries and a charger too for the G&G (https://hobbyking.com/en_us/batteries/airsoft.html ), while you could muddle by with the Nimh and the dumb charger that comes with the CYMA for a bit (if you're careful and lucky).

Either route is viable, and I'd rather have a gun that I can afford today than be dreaming about a gun that I might be able to afford tomorrow.

I'm a fellow newbie and I have that CYMA for very much the reason you are looking (I've been playing irregularly for a year and a bit but can't usually make the days my mates hit their base site so I've not played anywhere twice and no UKARA). It's not bad, feels similar to most of the rentals at places I've tried (not as good as the Valken Battle Machine I used at? Bassett's Pole mind) with 0.25g BBs in it.

And that is the other thing I like, actually. I can run heavier BBs which is a game changer (thanks forums for the tip) and a cheap red dot sight which I find much easier than iron sites. Not really an option on a rental.

I feel outranged a lot, though. I don't think I have the hop up dialed in quite right which is part of it. I also face a lot is snipers and, well, nowt I can do about that. 

I'm starting to look for an upgrade as I'm almost consistent enough to qualify for UKARA (probably around July). Range and accuracy are probably my main focus points as I usually fire in semi anyway. Not sure what I want, don't know how much of a step up the G&G Raider/Raider 2.0 is there.

Archived