Ukara Website Not Functioning

justme123
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

9 hours ago, lemon191 said:

Why ? Ukara is just a data Base that stores your site membership number, the defence is site membership and customs can contact your site as evidence 

Thought the shipment would have the UKARA number on it and they'd just check the database.

That is what they did / do but If they haven't got access to ukara then you can just give site membership details instead 

1 hour ago, lemon191 said:

That is what they did / do but If they haven't got access to ukara then you can just give site membership details instead 

Not having done this I guess customs send you a letter saying it's held up and you have to send in or go in with the details when you collect?

14 hours ago, lemon191 said:

The fact I said free or service ? 

Its benefited us and has had the self check etc so yeah its been of service to us however let's face it the original idea was to make it easier for shops to check memberships 

I hope you did not take offence, I was just drawing attention to the somewhat amusing suggestion that the shops are being altruistic when you say "free service". Separately yeah I agree it's a service as it has uses for import, and it's free too, but together - ugh no thank you.

Maybe time for a similar scheme run by the sites themselves rather than retailers.  Centralised database, site admins have read/write access.  Players given unique id so can be registered at many sites across the UK etc etc blah blah, thinking aloud.... Throw in some high availability tech so DB is mirrored etc.  Just a thought 

49 minutes ago, ak2m4 said:

Maybe time for a similar scheme run by the sites themselves rather than retailers.  Centralised database, site admins have read/write access.  Players given unique id so can be registered at many sites across the UK etc etc blah blah, thinking aloud.... Throw in some high availability tech so DB is mirrored etc.  Just a thought 

Would be easy enough to do. Hosting a resilient system isn't difficult with the right funding, but who funds it and how does it become trusted?

I don't really see funding being the main issue, plenty of advertising opportunities, I for one would support such a site.  I think the main problem in getting something like this off the ground is support from the major site owners.  Trust is a very wide issue, but very important.  The main draw here is a community defence solution, maintained by the community / site owners.  It's been 10 years since I was on the UKARA so I don't really know how it works now...

Archived