same gun 2 different hop unit/rubber and barrel?

asbo1991
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I know the question is a little weird but to the background

Brought a VFC HK416, has a suppressor on it with an tight bore inner barrel that goes all the way to the end great for outdoors gives excellent range but its a little unwieldy for CQB.

I have ICS HOG that's pretty much dead but it has a Laylax Prometheus inner barrel which is for a HK416D (measured out recommend for anyone with a HOG)  with a Prommy purple rubber and bucking this means I can remove the them from the HOG get a spare VFC hop unit and install it all together into the HK416 with a flash hider.

This means I will have 2 inner barrel set-ups , is this worth it or just going to be a ball ache switching between the 2?

(also fully appreciate this is probably a stupid question and more of personal preference than anything else)

• Supporters

The v2 box is very prone to breaking if a too short barrel is used. The cylinder volume must be matched to the barrel, otherwise the BB could already leave the barrel when the piston hits the cylinder head. When the BB is still in the barrel, there is an air cushion behind it, and the piston head's impact is cushioned by it. This is one of the main reasons why the front of V2 gearboxes break.

If you do want to use both barrels, use the cylinder for the shorter one. You will probably loose some accuracy / fps with the long one though.

Having said that, barrel length doesn't affect accuracy if the volumes are matched so you don't really need the long one.

thanks for the response, so if I have this right:

The barrel length doesn't matter too much as long as the cylinder has the right number of ports/ lack ports on it?

The shorter barrel is 275.5mm and the longer barrel is possible 350mm, assuming this is correct the cylinders should be different for each of the applications fro a quick look online it should have a Type C cylinder installed for the longer barrel that's already installed? and Type D for the shorter barrel?

If this internals are stock other than the inner barrel, hop up rubber and bucking, then based upon the fact he 275.5mm barrel is marketed for the 416D then I should assume a Type D cylinder is installed?

For the 350mm barrel then type 0 (full cylinder) or type 1,depending on the weight of the ammo you use. For the shorter barrel then type 1 or type 2, again dependent on ammo weight. The heavier the BB the more air volume you want. For 0.2g ammo then the cylinder volume wants to be 2 times the total barrel/hop volume. For 0.28g ammo the cylinder volume should be 2.25x the barrel/hop volume. This will give you the best efficiency, but as long as you've got enough volume to accelerate the BB down the whole barrel length without a load left over it'll be fine. Even with the corners of the shell radiused, the piston slamming into it will break it eventually. Which is why it's not a good idea to continually dry fire an aeg.

Ok so to quickly sum this up better to the run the shorter set up with the longer barrel than the other way round if I want to be able flick between the 2?

either way based upon the need to open the gearbox to check which cylinder is installed I won't be going down this route till something breaks and I have a reason to open it up as she's shooting sweet right now

Yep. My bad.

I've just redone my sums and a full cylinder, assuming a 57mm stroke after AOE adjustment is good for a 400mm barrel using 0.28g ammo, and 450+ using 0.2g.

19 hours ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

How is the hog near enough dead?

effectively I killed it myself, tried to upgrade did a few thing wrong and but thought yay looks easy I will have a go.

So its now "near enough dead" just my justification to myself and the future missus to buy another gun lol

I will teach myself to work on guns using it now but taking it nice a slow instead of rushing doing a terrible solder job, I get most of theory behind how workout what's needed its the practical side I need to work on, and as proven there is still massive gaps in my knowledge which I should fill really before I rip it apart again.

Archived