Battle belt, H harness AND a backpack?

Hangtight
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm looking to get myself a light, comfortable rig for skirmishes that'll carry all the odds and sods I need for your typical morning /lunch /afternoon day of pew pew. Not being a real fan of plate carriers I was looking at battle belts and the additional H yoke, which sorts mags, couple of grenade pouches and a utility pouch, but it still leaves me a bit short of space for water, snacks (very important...), spare batteries, BBs etc. Does anyone have any experience of attaching a small day pack to a similar rig? There's just too much bloody choice! Much Googling has failed to provide an answer. It only needs to be cheap gear (Condor etc.), but any pointers would be much appreciated.

• Supporters

I use a battle belt with a Y harness. That's the base.

If I need to carry any gear to the field, for example for a full day game without breaks, then I get a small backpack that I leave on the respawn point or the HQ. Nothing geardo needed because it's just on me until I get to the HQ. On the rare occasion I would need more mags than I normally fit on my belt, I have a simple molle chestrig with some mag pounches. All these 3 can be combined so I can adapt it to anything. I don't do more than one day games, but changing the backpack to a 3 day assault pack would sort that out too.

Actually, because I don't shoot much, I can fit everything on the belt including a 1L canteen, and have more water, BBs, gas, rainsuit and some food in the small backpack for a full day game.

Ah, the old, "Leave it somewhere safe in a Tesco carrier bag trick." This works some of the time, but some of the scenarios played at my local field can cover a lot of ground, with either a rolling or staged spawn and a fast turnaround between attacking and defending. And the marshals get shirty if you leave their quad looking like a shopping trolley.

• Supporters

You can EASILY carry everything mentioned (and a lot more) in just a belt rig/webbing.  Buy a bunch of old PLCE stuff for pennies off ebay if you really want to go that route - 10x more durable than Condor, at least.  PALS (MOLLE) pouches will go right on to the standard of belt if needs be.  

I've only ever used a pack at milsims when I'm a long walk from the safe zone and it's nasty weather in the winter months.  You're really just hindering your ability to move humping a pack at a skirmish, at most you want to get this (or similar):

http://www.uktactical.com/p-5597-warrior-molle-harness-multicam.aspx

Slap a hydro pouch on the yoke to take up a bit less space on the actual belt.  A spare 1200mah lipo (which will last me an entire days play) takes up about 10% the space of a single mag.  You're better off just adding a couple more mags to your rig than carrying spare BBs to reload, or get one of the TM loaders that's shaped like a 30rnd magazine.  Not sure how long your games are, but if they're less than about 2-3 hours just leave snacks with your gun bag and eat in the safe zone, the less weight you have on you the faster you move, less tired you get, more bad guys you can pew pew.

IF you absolutely must carry a pack with a ton of stuff inside, don't attach it to your other gear as it'll just put it all down at the back and make the front rise up.  I've spent enough time in different combos of webbing/armour carrier/plate carriers/chest rig/bergan/daysack/tactical belt rig to know what works these days and while it may be annoying to have an extra set of straps over your shoulders it's absolutely worth it.

That makes sense. The more I look at it the more I realise that a pack will just be in the way. And seeing as I have 7 mags,why not just carry them rather than trying to reload.

• Supporters

Precisely.  One in the gun, 2 triples (standard old PLCE mag pouch) or 3 doubles on your 'weak' side hip and you're set on mags.  Combine a small chest rig with a belt line if you like speedy reloads, that's a common combination.   You can run TACOs or some other speed reload pouch with only 1-2 mags on the belt, then top those off using the slower access pouches from something like a Tac Tailor micro rig.  If you're not fussed about that though, go with the original suggestion.

Defo dont get a pack which is attached to your rig/carrier... Unless your an escapologist its a pain in the arse trying to get access to it to quickly grab something on your own. And it will be that moment where there is no one else around to help you that you need to grab something!!

Better off with a viper day bag using the traditional backpack straps if you need to take it with you than attaching it to a rig which weighs you down, gets snagged and relies on someone else helping you or taking the whole thing off to grab a mars bar!

I speak from experience ;)

Archived