Best BB for BARs?

SeniorSpaz87
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Hey guys -

As I've just finished my VSR, im understandable anxious to field it. While this wont happen for awhile as all the fields have abruptly closed down until January (that is annoying as all heck...), I still want to get it into perfect shape for when I am able to not only field it, but use it hopefully as a member of the Western Coalition's Tier One operators at Operation Stonebreaker, located at a Simunitions training plant (old nucular power plant) in South Carolina. As I have been selected as a Tier One operator, I need all my equipment and guns to be top-tier. So as a final part of setting up my guns, I need to know what ammo to use. I already have the .28g bbs for my TM based Costa M&P 9 Pro and my WE based SRU DM (the two pistols I will be using), the .32g bbs for my current project gun (yet to be revealed ;) ), but I need to know what bbs to use in my VSR.

So currently my VSR is hitting 520FPS with .36g bbs. This will of course be lowered to match the field I will be playing during general games, but for Stonebreaker, the FPS limit is 622 FPS with a .25g bb and a 30m MED (I know, seems quite high?) so I don't need to lower it too much. My personal favorite field (which is still a 2 hr drive away) allows the same limit and MED, while Combat City has the standard 500 FPS w/ .25g bbs found in the States (think its 450-500 w/ .20g in the UK?) So my VSR will have no trouble lifting whatever weight bb I put in it.

Therefore, I was thinking I would go with .40g bbs. I believe they are the standard for BARs, as the trade-off of FPS loss is offset by increased accuracy and a higher base FPS allowance. So now it comes to you, veteran snipers. What brand bb should I get for my VSR? Keep in mind I live in the states - there are several products I can not obtain here (such as WE Nuprol gas - my personal favorite GG). I would also prefer to have a brighter bb... I think its quite annoying that heavyweight bbs tend to be black. Us snipers need to see where the pellet is going to make corrections, and a black bb is almost impossible to follow. And bio bbs are another plus - in fact, they have to be bios for Stonebreaker. If I must though, I will use a different brand for Stonebreaker than general games.

Thanks,

Spaz

• Supporters

Update - Stonebreaker tickets just went live, and they have an interesting FPS-measuring system - for BARs their limit is 3.6 joules measured with a .32g bb. so ill have to do that math later...

• Supporters

Math is not enough. It's joule creep and that's exactly why they don't measure with 0.20 and do maths.

Geoffs is the best now, and they ship abroad, but I don't know about the US.

In the US ASG 0.40 is available and very good. For that high fps I would go heavier though. It is said that use the weight with your gun shoots about 300-350 fps.

• Supporters

Math is not enough. It's joule creep and that's exactly why they don't measure with 0.20 and do maths.

Geoffs is the best now, and they ship abroad, but I don't know about the US.

In the US ASG 0.40 is available and very good. For that high fps I would go heavier though. It is said that use the weight with your gun shoots about 300-350 fps.

Ok. Geoffs or ASGs. I will be in the UK over winter so that's fine. I wasn't aware weights above .40s were all that common. Should I go heavier?

• Supporters

Should I go heavier?

The heaviest your gun can handle. With that high fps, you could easily use 0.66g BBs, but I think that really needs a perfect gun. Geoffs has 0.45 and those are great, I use them in my 490fps boltie. Someone tested 0.50g ones but I think those didn't hit the market yet.

Update - Stonebreaker tickets just went live, and they have an interesting FPS-measuring system - for BARs their limit is 3.6 joules measured with a .32g bb. so ill have to do that math later...

625FPS on 0.2g o.O

Literally no point running it that high, there will be zero shot consistency, as the optimal weight for the BB just isn't viable for skirmishing, as it would need to be in excess of 0.65g. Goodbye money.

• Supporters

625FPS on 0.2g o.O

Literally no point running it that high, there will be zero shot consistency, as the optimal weight for the BB just isn't viable for skirmishing, as it would need to be in excess of 0.65g. Goodbye money.

Yes, I know. It will be lowered. That's just really to state that it can handle just about any weight bb. Probably going to drop it to around 500 with .25g

Yes, I know. It will be lowered. That's just really to state that it can handle just about any weight bb. Probably going to drop it to around 500 with .25g

That's not actually that much lower, optimal weight will still be around the same point.

• Supporters

I've gone ahead and gotten a pack of Geoff .40s and .43s. Hopefully they get here in time for my trip to the rage in a few weeks

I've gone ahead and gotten a pack of Geoff .40s and .43s. Hopefully they get here in time for my trip to the rage in a few weeks

Better not base it to 500 fps on 0.25's then, as you'd be having more issues than not, similar to what you'd expect someone trying to shoot 0.2's through a gun doing 380 and expect them to fly straight. -

EnDp9wI.png

• Supporters

Better not base it to 500 fps on 0.25's then, as you'd be having more issues than not, similar to what you'd expect someone trying to shoot 0.2's through a gun doing 380 and expect them to fly straight.

Yea, Im going to drop it down

Archived