Why are airsoft RIFs under the UKARA act, but airguns not?

Tamberlin
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

A few people on page one of this thread have implied that if a 'gun' is a 'firearm' in law then it does not matter it's appearance - that is to say if it is externally indistinguishable from a similar [airsoft] Realistic Imitation Firearm, it is easier to purchase than an [airsoft] RIF - but that does not make sense, else people would be putting 3,4 or 5 joule springs in airsoft guns to circumvent UKARA and selling airsoft guns by the airgun format [circumventing the UKARA 2m hold] - from licensed gun stores.

This doesn't seem right (I have not checked the law or airgun rules as I don't believe this is a correct implication).

NB, VCRA makes no mention that a RIF is [must be] an airsoft gun, or that an airsoft gun is [must be] a RIF

yes a valid point, though you're not likely to be buying an air-rifle RIF from a "toy shop", yes I used the T word toy (let the flaming commence). Airsoft guns are classed as toys.

We all have to remember it's not an offence to own a RIF, it's an offence to act like a dick with one in public, it's an offence to sell one if you not sure what it's going to be used for.

Build a 1:1 scale model pistol kit paint realistically, and wave it about in public, and the local ARU will be shouting at you and telling you drop it and kiss the ground, and no matter shouting back at them it's just a "toy" will not mitigate their possible response.

yes a valid point, though you're not likely to be buying an air-rifle RIF from a "toy shop", yes I used the T word toy (let the flaming commence). Airsoft guns are classed as toys.

To be fair, I would bet not more than 20% of this forum's users/readers would be deluded enough to disagree.

it's an offence to act like a dick with one in public,

Lol, its a bit easier than that, just allowing someone to see it is the offence, doesn't matter how/why.

Well you do need to be a dick to take one out in public and not expect to chewing tarmac or leaking the crimson in short order. I don't even like having mine on the bench with out pulling the curtains so Joe public can't look through the window.

Well you do need to be a dick to take one out in public and not expect to chewing tarmac or leaking the crimson in short order. I don't even like having mine on the bench with out pulling the curtains so Joe public can't look through the window.

Perhaps I shouldn't be resting on the rooftop with my RIF GBBR, shooting at targets in my garden :P

Perhaps I shouldn't be resting on the rooftop with my RIF GBBR, shooting at targets in my garden :P

nope, is that a police helicopter that keeps flying over your place???

And no deadheading the neighbour's roses or gnomes with it.

Archived