New to this - barrel upgrade

Reptile Smile

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

Never changed anything in an AEG before, except recently moved my battery pack to the crane stock on my tactical AK.

So - I have a Mad Bull 6.03 barrel to fit. I read Sitting Duck's advice about fitting a new hop up unit/bucking at the same time, which makes sense. I just wanted to check - given that gearboxes are e same, and not gun specific, are hop-up units the same? Do I need an AK hop up unit, or are they all the same and I just need a general one (and new bucking).

Sorry to be such a n00b...

• Supporters

hops are different to each gun type

and sometimes certain makes of gun can be bespoke

eg: ICS M4 has its own M4 hop & rubber bucking

but usually most guns are TM compatible and an AK hop will do fine in AK's

& regular M4 hop will work in most M4's

well usually they do,, but in practice sometimes they need a slap or in some cases a punch

your tactical AK will very very likely be ok with the usual cyma or shs AK hopup unit & general aeg bucking

(you don't say exact make of AK but could likely to be cyma or jg or a rebadge of these brands)

some cheapo nasty JBBG guns and even some really horrible nasty cyma/jg/double eagle ak's are made with weird parts

901c has a bespoke hop & barrel in it - poxy thing

but would think a regular run of the mill ak hop will be inside your gun - so cyma or shs one should be ok

if possible go for a metal one for not much more than a plastic hop unit

softer 50/60 degree bucking and watch some tutorials apply a little grease carefully to assist in fitting bucking/barrel to unit

• Supporters

Hi all,

Never changed anything in an AEG before, except recently moved my battery pack to the crane stock on my tactical AK.

So - I have a Mad Bull 6.03 barrel to fit. I read Sitting Duck's advice about fitting a new hop up unit/bucking at the same time, which makes sense. I just wanted to check - given that gearboxes are e same, and not gun specific, are hop-up units the same? Do I need an AK hop up unit, or are they all the same and I just need a general one (and new bucking).

Sorry to be such a n00b...

While much of what SD says makes sense and is borne out of a vast amount of time spent desperately trying to get crap guns work better ;) do you actually NEED to change your hop up? Why do you think you do?

Also - what make is the gun?

Also - gearboxes are not all the same, AKs generally use what is known as a V3 gearbox, M4 style guns tend to use a V2, M14s use a V7 etc etc. Beyond that not all V3 gearboxes are the same as each other. They're pretty similar but there's always some subtle differences - quality of gearing, size and type of bearings etc.

While much of what SD says makes sense and is borne out of a vast amount of time spent desperately trying to get crap guns work better ;) do you actually NEED to change your hop up? Why do you think you do?

Also - what make is the gun?

Also - gearboxes are not all the same, AKs generally use what is known as a V3 gearbox, M4 style guns tend to use a V2, M14s use a V7 etc etc. Beyond that not all V3 gearboxes are the same as each other. They're pretty similar but there's always some subtle differences - quality of gearing, size and type of bearings etc.

Well, I don't really want to change the hop up, but Sitting Duck made the point that if one is changing the barrel, there's an advantage t doing that with the whole hop unit etc so you can just swap them in and out if it all goes wrong...

Gun is a cyma in a T&J tactical body.

• Supporters

Well, I don't really want to change the hop up, but Sitting Duck made the point that if one is changing the barrel, there's an advantage t doing that with the whole hop unit etc so you can just swap them in and out if it all goes wrong...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Simple. You'll have to take the whole assembly out anyway and it really is a simple job to fit a new one. Equally if you're utterly ham fisted you'll potentially end up screwing up both. It's your choice of course, personally I tend to swap out the hop rubber for a Prometheus purple one as a matter of course but that just because I prefer them. If there's nothing wrong with how your hop works now, there's really not THAT much you can do fitting a new barrel to screw it up completely.

• Supporters

I say consider getting another hop and assembling the new unit so it is an easy swap over - especially for first timers

often - myself included the used bucking doesn't fair well on removal and can tear

well my first one did but it could of been torn or started to tear causing issues in the first place but was shagged when I stripped the hop

In an ideal world owner would have over time aquired a reasonable "spares box" of stuff to try and fall back on

I also wasn't impressed with madbull tbb when I quickly tried one - kept jamming but that could of been incorrectly fitted hop or catching on hop lip

doubt it coz same hop/bucking on a zci tbb fed perfectly when swapped over and not tried the 510mm madbull since

but wasn't impressed with a brand often over rated to say the least.....

Also in relation to cost of madbull and a new bucking - another decent hop is worth considering imho.....

YES there is a chance that another hop unit may actually be worse than the stock hop - but there is a chance also it could be better

(some hops can feed better or seal better as well as worse - nozzles may operate/seal better/worse etc.....)

As Tom Jones would say - "it's not unusual.... ooommm chah oooommm" - soz back on topic

it's not unusal to end up having that bit paired with that bit along with that original bit you started with

The end result could end up being old barrel, old bucking washed in soapy water, new nub and new hop coz old hop was crap

You buy another hop in my mind, a couple of decent cheap rubbers with nubs (bet you lose one of them sods if not careful)

get the other unit assembled and gain a bit of experience - with a spare bucking on hand just in case

Then a swap over and test - might be miles better or might be $hit if not gone according to plan.....

No biggy - you got stock working unit to fall back on.....

Oooh that looks all crappy, quick clean of stock unit as is and she fires like new

it could/can happen but cleaning barrel is very first you should do.......

or ooooh hang on a sec - that bump looks a bit pi$$ed as you look down into hop, minor twist and bucking aligns - dooohhhhhh

The stock hop unit might not be holding its setting very well and winding off, yes some shims can help

but them threads can strip easy if ya go too mad and then you could be boned if no spare a day or two before game day

soz for ultra long waffle but it would be lovely and perfect if problems dissappeared straight away when you fit a new part

the reality is that new parts can also also cause more problems if fitted incorrectly or not installed with care......

Very very often some high end parts do not solve the issues or show great improvements that noobs like me think they will

If you got a cyma ak then chances are it will have a good solid metal hop unit and will be fine

But I often will consider getting a spare of most things I have - just in case or to try and see before I dive in thinking

the very usual - yup it has to be this or that causing the problem/issue......

new barrel + new bucking, me personally would consider getting another hop unit

practice or get new complete barrel unit assembled - if you have a nightmare at this point your gun still operates atm

rather than spend the evening looking for nub or last ripped bucking if you are really clumsy etc........

if new unit is fitted well then test and it probably will be a great improvement over old worn barrel/hop/bucking

If not - at least you have a number of options to consider to try out and a spare of everything like I mentioned....

new barrel, new bucking - 2 could be wise sometimes madbull sell buckings in pairs

plus a new hop could be worth considering if you don't have one to hand - could be a faulty hop - unlikely but just saying

That is what I personally would do or consider having to hand before I steam in

this is just my own personal take on the matter though

but as Lozart said about me working with crappy guns - they often could benefit from a number of better parts too :)

Thanks to all for their input and contributions. I really do appreciate you taking the time to reply to my numpty problems.

I've been waiting for a few things to arrive - some low resistance cable, and a signal wire for my Gate mosfet, and thought I'd do everything at the same time, but in the event, I got home today and thought, "The hell with it..." and changed the barrel over without drama. The hop unit was quite incredibly robust, and will change the hop rubber over for something at some stage.

I don't know whether the barrel will make a whole heap of difference or not. To be honest, the biggest benefit was getting it apart, grubbing around a bit, and then getting it all back together again working. That did wonders for my my knowledge and confidence, which is probably, on balance, a good thing...

Cheers all

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.