Buying a L96

Monty101

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've recently been looking at an L96 Sniper rifle, I have found a spring for £139 and a gas one for £141 and I have been wondering which would be the best to buy. With only £3 difference, I can make up my mind.

• Root Admin

The usual disclaimer: If this is your first gun and its for skirmishes then don't get a sniper rifle. You need to dump a significant amount of money into upgrades (£250-450) to make it competitive - otherwise you're just going to be outclassed in every engagement.

With that said and done: Depends on the brand, but probably the springer - gas is inconsistent and you need to be spending more than £141 to get a reliable setup - I'd imagine it's running green gas, and cooldown and the general weather effect performance massively. Consistency of shot is the number one thing you need with sniper rifles, and should be at the forefront of your purchase.

From personal experience, if you're looking for an L96 then most of the clones are fine. The Mauser is actually alright, but massively overpriced being a rebranded Cybergun. Well is probably the brand you're looking at right now, and they perform alright out of the box. I would recommend finding one without a scope and then buying your own (around about £40-80), but obviously airsoft is all about how much you're happy to spend.

One thing is for sure though: Don't go for a cheap gas sniper rifle. The consistency will be naff and the magazines will probably end up leaking after just a short while. There's also the consideration of spending more money on a decent green gas. Although this cost is negligible (around £8-16 per can), it is something you may wish to bring into consideration.

Could you provide some links to what you're looking at?

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/well-warrior-l96-awf-g96d-gas-powered-sniper-w-bipod-and-scope-od.html#.VZlRZvlVhBd (This is the link to the gas)

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/well-warrior-l96-bolt-action-spring-rifle-w-bipod-scope-a-tacs.html#.VZlUy_lVhBc (Here's the link to the spring)

Here's another I found http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/well-l96a1-g21-gas-powered-sniper-bk.html#.VZlVeflVhBc

Although I am a big fan of sniping I don't mind if you think these aren't worth it, do you think you could link me to a very good ranged assault rifle, preferably between £100 - £200, I've had a look at a PR-15 but I'm looking for others since that one is very expensive.

• Root Admin

Are you new to airsoft? Will this be your first airsoft gun or first skirmish-able weapon (i.e. do you already own something you use in the back yard for target shooting?). If so, you may wish to make yourself aware of VCRA and the legalities of a valid defence so that you can buy what you want. Those links you've provided there are foreign websites - had you have purchased either without a two-tone service they would have been destroyed by customs.

If you're going for an AEG for skirmishes then most people will tell you the same thing: CM16 by G&G. It's a brilliant gun and can be had new for well within that price range. Many websites in the UK offer a free (or very cheap) two-toning service. Again though, this is all dependant on your situation. If you're truly new to airsoft then my recommendation would be to simply go a few times and see if you like it, rent some gear and get yourself a site membership so that you can get a UKARA number (the most commonly accepted form of defence).

Thanks for the information about the websites. I have never seen G&G before so I will be have a better look into their site. Thanks for the quick feed back. Is there any way to purchase a gun from a foreign website, or do UK laws not accept the transaction of airsoft guns.

• Root Admin

Ok. Check out these threads first: http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/12854-new-player-guides-info/

If you still have any questions then feel free to post of course.

To answer your question: You can do it, but need a valid defence. To my knowledge, the only defence currently accepted by HMRC is a UKARA site membership - otherwise your gun must be two-toned (high visibility paint on 51% of the body). As far as beginner guns go, you won't find them that much cheaper abroad really as the prices here on entry-level gear are quite competitive.

You can order guns from other countries, IF you have UKARA. That way it won't get confiscated by customs (you ask the retailer to write details on the box)

Quite a few people including myself purchase from Europe but ordering from Asia is gonna mean you're subject to import duty and tax etc so it can end up costing a lot more than you think.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.