Switching from Nihm to lipo?

James932

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I recently dug my old guns out of the loft, where they have sat unused for about a decade. As I expected, the batteries are toast and need to be replaced. Since they were last used, LiPo has happened and it seems like now is the time to switch if I'm going to. I've read some articles on the risks and pitfuls of them and while there seems to be a lot of conflicting information, I'm generally happy to go for them. But having taken on a lot of information at once, I'd like to double check before I go for a purchase.

If I've understood correctly, these should work together and should plug and play in my old TM guns:

http://www.componentshop.co.uk/7-4v-850mah-30c-continuous-discharge-lipo-battery.html

http://www.componentshop.co.uk/800ma-charger-for-2s-or-3s-7-4-11-1v-battery-packs-complete-with-mains-power-supply.html

Have I missed anything? If so, please explain.

as long as the connectors and physical sizes are compatible with your guns, its a straight swop with the 7.4V LiPO.

I have that charger and its difficult to know how charged the batteries are or how well balanced they are.

Ive discovered that lipos dont like being kept fully charged all the time. They puff. I now only charge them up the night before use and keep them at around 50% charge using a battery monitor with the inexpensive charger you linked to.

In hindsight I would have bought a better charger that has a digital readout to combine these functions.

LiPO are superior, you just have to follow some simple rules.

Always charge them in a fireproof bag in something like a metal ammo box half filled with sand, just in case of fire.

as long as the connectors and physical sizes are compatible with your guns, its a straight swop with the 7.4V LiPO.

I have that charger and its difficult to know how charged the batteries are or how well balanced they are.

Ive discovered that lipos dont like being kept fully charged all the time. They puff. I now only charge them up the night before use and keep them at around 50% charge using a battery monitor with the inexpensive charger you linked to.

In hindsight I would have bought a better charger that has a digital readout to combine these functions.

LiPO are superior, you just have to follow some simple rules.

Always charge them in a fireproof bag in something like a metal ammo box half filled with sand, just in case of fire.

I've been using lipos for the best part of 10 years now, not once have I had them explode on me or over charge, the only Lipo I had puff on me was when my fast electric boat flipped on me & water got in

I've never used a Lipo bag or ammo box, that came mainly from when smart chargers weren't around so people jumped on the band wagon

If treated correctly then danger is kept way below minimum

Just keep an eye on them while there charging, any hint of puffing or heat then take it off & leave for 24 hours

Lipos are definitely better, for me they last longer and give a higher rate of fire. I would get a better smart charger then that one however.

also make sure you get the wires the correct way round or it will blow up (i have done it before).

People say to charge lipos in sand ect ect.... I have used Lipos in RC cars and Planes for years and never had a fire myself.

• Supporters

That battery should be fine, although i'd look for one with a higher mAh rating if you can fit it in your gun. You'd also be better off getting an imax b6 or turnigy accucel 6 charger - They are a bit more expensive but have a load more features and support lots of battery types.

The main thing really with LiPos is to carry a spare or two as it doesn't hurt to switch batteries at lunch rather than knacker the cells using the same battery all day till you run it flat.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.