Gaming Noob Advice Please

Ian_Gere

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Black flag was great

^^I'm going to upgrade my lappie processor in advance of Windows 10 because:

Bear in mind that support for Windows 7 has already ceased and Windows 8 is basically the same thing but optimised for tablets - HP Pavilion G6 lappies were designed to utilise 3 processors faster than the one which came in mine and I plan to install the fastest, an i7, so any additional heat is within the design parameters - i expect my fan will be on more often, but hey ho... that is the price of buying an E&L AKS-74M, upgrading her internals, and buying a gaming console plus games, all within a few months...

Support for Windows 7 hasn't totally ceased, just to the extent where you can't email them if your a muppet. The online resources/downloads will still be there for ages, they only totally stopped supporting XP a year ago. I certainly wont be touching windows 10 until perhaps 6months/a year after release, might actually work properly by then! The rule of windows releases state it should be good tho (they release good then shit windows every time, xp good, vista bad, 7 good, 8 bad, 10 good i hope)

A quick glance suggests there's dif motherboards across the G6 series depending on spec, something to double-check before you buy a new processor. I would say new processor will gain you another year or so of use out of the laptop. Whether it's worth it is up to you. Just make sure you give the laptop a darn good cleanup/refurb when you swap it

• Supporters

^^Yeah, apparently it's all about the CPU socket re: the motherboard design - mine is a G2 which is what the i7 needs so i just need to make sure the BIOS is fully up to date - i have the destructions link saved somewhere so should be good to go. For £50-ish posted it's well worth it, rather than a new lappie which would cost about £550 for what i'd need to replace what i have and keep pace with software design, if my g/f's research is anything to go by. I may end up getting a new one in January, if i see something too good to miss in the sales - in which case my current one upgraded should be worth at least a one-er a few months later.

Xbox One arrived this morning, but so far I just can't summon the energy to dismantle my system and integrate it. I'm concerned that I don't have a Toslink fibreoptic long enough too, but i paid for 1st Class postage for a 1m one in the wee wee hours of this morning* so it should be here 2moz, which will make the whole enterprise seem a lot more appealing since it will deffo end in success. And now i'm in danger of Ducking this post up, so i'll leave it here...

*the time at which those of us of advancing years wake up to urinate.

Yeah i'd have to agree 50 squid aint bad to keep a laptop afloat! The gf's right there too, 5-600 is what you need minimum for a laptop destined for more than ms office and surfing the web, 400 does the trick if thats all you need.

GL with the xbox, told it's a pain to setup initially, but can't be worse than my PS3, every time i turn it on there's half-hour of updates either for the console or the game i want to play! I hadn't played Gran turismo 6 in about a year so brushed the dust off and tried to have a go. was 17 updates and total of 10gb, even worse i had to do it a few updates at a time or it froze when trying to apply them. After a week of half-attention every eve i finally got it playable online!

My Xbox set up experience was rather straight foward and easy, just plugged in two leads in two different holes lol. I'd say the hardest part Ian is going to be creating yourself an Xbox live acount, typing is really a pain in the arse without one of the little keyboards that clip into the controller. Had one for my 360, made things a lot smoother!

As well as gaming they're good for Netflix and watching DVD's.

Be warned though, you have to install games before you play them,its not too bad though, once they get to like 12 percent or something you can usually start playing and it'll download while you play. Seemed like an eternity to me though when I wanted to play Assasins creed and had no games installed :P

• Supporters

Set up wasn't too bad, only about 10mins of updates to d/l and swapping a few light pipes and cables around, but it turns out that plugging my TiVo into the Xbox to play through reduces the bit depth of colour of the TV signal - it looks ok on HD content but it's not something i'm prepared to put up with on most stuff (i only record stuff in HD which i would prefer to have on DVD but don't yet - being stuck at home so much due to health means i prefer to have the hundreds of hours of content recording at lo-res provides) so i've had to order an HDMI splitter so i can still attach my lappie to my telly occasionally - here's hoping the splitter lives up to the seller's blurb re: resolution...

Played about 4hrs of Ori to get used to using the controller - it's going to be a while before i'm thumb-fit to face the genpop on Live :lol:

Oh yeah and i think i will get one of those keyboard attachments!

• Supporters

Does anyone know if there is a widget to allow us to connect Z-Tactical headsets to Xbox One controllers?

Dont know what head the Z -tacticals use Ian but this might be of some use : http://www.rakuten.co.uk/shop/bossdeals/product/885370669985/?sku=885370669985&scid=stylight%26_%24ja%3Dtsid%3A71108|kw%3Apc_ebay_uk|cgn%3Apc_ebay_uk&sclid=a_pla_uk

On a side note, you could invent the adaptor and make a fortune from all the "keyboard Warriors" looking to get tactical in the living room lol

• Supporters

^^The problem is the Nexus connector - it's by no means cheap to get anything to do with them because they're used on helicopters so, even though they are made in the same way, using the same materials, as 1/4" TRS jacks and sockets (but they're TRRS) ie standard stereo headphone gear, somehow they're magically more valuable :lol: Unfortunately the official Microsoft headset adapter wouldn't work because it is designed for stereo headphones with a mono mic - in theory it wouldn't be difficult to make, but the problem with anything bodged is how durable would it be once attached to a controller? I've only played a few hours and i already realise that sooner or later i'm going to break the thumb sticks and, no doubt, the involuntary movements i make with my body while holding it will one day damage the standard headset fitting...

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.