A complete list of relevant Regulations

TheGrover

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Below is a list of all the regulations that have some influence over the sport of Airsoft.

The Big Daddy: The VCRA: [Violent Crime Reduction Act: 2006]

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/38/contents

The key sections are 35 - 40:

Section 35 - It is illegal to buy or sell primers designed for metallic ammunition, or any metallic case incorporating or designed to incorporate a primer

BFG users beware of using anything other than .209 primers

Section 36 - it is illegal to either:

• Make an RIF
  • convert an IF into an RIF
  • sell an RIF
  • Import or arrange the importation of an RIF

NOTE: It is not illegal to buy an RIF. It is not illegal to own an RIF. It is not illegal to use an RIF (provided that it is NOT used contrary to the Firearms Act 1968)

Section 37 - A person or organisation my engage in the activities described in Section 36 if they can make a reasonable claim to any of the specified defences:

• the act was carried out for a museum or gallery
  • the act was carried out for theatrical performance
  • the act was carried out for professional film-making (see the specific Regulation)
  • the act was carried out for professional television programmes (see specific Regulation)
  • the act was carried out for the purpooses of a historical re-enactment
  • you were instructed by, or have the authority of Her Majesty

NOTE: There are other defences outlined in the 2007 amendment

Section 38 - Definitions of RIFs and IFs:

RIF - any object (capable of discharging a missile?) that has an appearance so realistic as that it was indistinguishable to a real firearm, and is not a de-activated firearm or antique.

so anything that looks like a real gun, is an RIF

IF - any object that resembles a firearm, but can easily be distinguished as an imitation, without requiring a firearms expert to determine the difference, a close examination or comparison to firearm, or an attempt to load or fire the object

So anything that can be recognised by a member of the public, by a quick observation as an imitation firearm. it does NOT need to be painted 51% bright colours, so long as it appears unrealistic

Section 39 - Imitation Firearms

It is illegal to modify an Imitation firearm so that it no longer conforms to the specification required of it.

This does not include converting an IF to an RIF, as this is protected by the defences of Section 37 and controlled by Section 36. however, if the end result does not somehow conform as an RIF, then you may be charged with a breach of Section 39

Section 40 - Minors

It is illegal for someone to sell an Imitation firearm (or RIF) to a minor, and it is illegal for the Minor to buy it (so both the seller and the minor can be criminally charged)

The amendment to the big daddy: [Realistic Imitation Firearms Regulations 2007] (amendment to the VCRA)

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2007/2606/contents/made

In a nutshell, this amendment extends the range of defences to include Airsoft Skirmishing as a "permitted activity" so long as the site operator holds suitable insurance (third party. public liability)

IT also outlines that any object resembling a firearm but is smaller than 38 mm tall and 70mm long is not an RIF

The One Didnt Think of: Firearms Act 1968

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/27/contents

Note section 19(d) - It is explicitly illegal to have an imitation firearm (realistic or not) in a public place (it does not say carrying or displaying, only having with you, so technically, having it in the boot of your car on your way to a skirmish is included within this section, however, having proof of booking will be classified as having a "reasonable excuse" to satisfy this section. Always book onto your skirmishes in advance

if you know of any other Acts or Regulations which apply to the ownership, use, or transportation of any Airsoft equipment, besides Acts or Regulations governing the sale of goods in general, let me know and i will update this list

If you are aware of any sections of any Acts or Regulations on this list, which also apply, let me know and i will update the list

Its not an amendment to the VCRA, its the commencement order of the VCRA. It is the part that added airsoft skirmishing as a defence and it also lays out what the retailers scheme is likely to look like (what became UKARA).

Ah, i may have mistaken it as an amendment, since it is listed completely separate on legislation.gov.

technically though, this is actually a Regulation, which in fact sits underneath an Act of Parliament, and usually offers clarification. For example, the Work at height Regs, LOLER, and other Regulations sit under the Health and Safety at Work Act, but you can only ever be charged or convicted of a breach of the Act, and the regulations offer guidelines on the minimum standards of provisions for employers to provide (amongst other things.,

I wasnt involved in Airsoft at the time of these being introduced, but it may well be that the Act was drafted and the Amendment/Regulation was drafted before the commencement of the Act, and so the Regulatiuon is pretty much the same as the Act, but still technically seperate.

Ahh good work sir, now every single law related question can be directed to this post :)

Ahh good work sir, now every single law related question can be directed to this post :)

Well, all these regs are given in the various posts around here, i just brought them together :P

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.