Bone Conduction Headset

Baz JJ

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Ive toyed with lots of different radio technology and headset types. Ive just ordered a bone conduction headset from CodeRed in the USA.

Bone conduction has been used for ages in the tactical world but it was always too expensive for airsoft.

CodeRed has just brought this out and although its not dirt cheap, it is more affordable.

Ive tried throat mics so it will be interesting to see how this compares.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qrR6JUGpzI8&feature=youtu.be

No nothing confirmed yet.

I get the impression that deliveries were only starting from April and they havent confirmed they are in stock yet. It would be nice to get it in time for the Okto Eight game on the 25th but its not the end of the world.

If I bought one it would definitely be for okto and if there is a chance it wouldn't arrive that would be bad. Well I have kind of said I wont bring a radio anyway so maybe I should just do that, play with yours if its there and consider one for a future game. I would rather not have the hassle of the extra weight and bulk of a radio and headset anyway so fudge it I might have convinced myself out of it now.

Its really cool this is coming to airsoft like prices. Its not cheap of course but I really want to hear what it sounds like.

Hopefully it'll arrive on time, but unfortunately, the last thing I ordered from the USA took almost 2 months to deliver. Cheers customs

it said in one of the YT videos I watched that to test it out in the absence of two-way comms, you can just plug it into the Baofengs which have an FM broadcast receive capability and you can listen to the normal entertainment radio channels through your bone rather than your ears. Pretty weird when your ears continue to pick up other sounds and directions from around you and the added radio input is effectively being "mixed" by your brain.

I'm interested to see if it can transmit whispers like my throat mics do and whether its more or less sensitive.

they emailed me today to say they dont expect it to be in their stock for another two weeks.

Assume like most things, its made for them in China.

• 2 weeks later...

Also unlike Tactical Gear Trade who have just messed me about over some Comtacs, the supplier of this headset apologised for the delay and have sent me a free patch, which I thought was thoughtful of them.

Received today. Good service from Code Red - 4 days door to door. They also sent me one of their patches because they were out of stock and I had to wait a couple of weeks for despatch. Have only had the chance to test it in receive, but IT WORKS !! quite strange to hear radio with your ears uncovered so you hear normal ambient sounds as well. It seems that the radio audio is coming from both transducers which is not what I expected. Will try the transmit side later ! doesn't seem to interfere with spectacles or shooting glasses but the chunky frame behind your ears do make them poke out more than normal..

Have now tested it on transmit. Only tested in quiet ambient conditions but at a low speaking voice its still crystal clear. You can whisper and the person receiving can make out the meaning providing you annunciate. Tested by sending random three digit numbers at a whisper and the receiving/copying rate was about 60-70%

• Supporters

Have now tested it on transmit. Only tested in quiet ambient conditions but at a low speaking voice its still crystal clear. You can whisper and the person receiving can make out the meaning providing you annunciate. Tested by sending random three digit numbers at a whisper and the receiving/copying rate was about 60-70%

Oooh, that's not so good. What qualities of the reproduced sound would you guess are interfering with intelligibility?

I realise that for non-sound engineers describing sound can be quite difficult, but please have a go using whatever metaphors spring to mind.

• Supporters

So it was just the volume interfering with intelligibility? If you turned up the volume could you not hear whispered transmissions better? Or was there no more amplification to be gained? If that is the case the fault may be with the microphone...

Was there nothing about the quality of the reproduced voice that interfered with intelligibility? Like lower frequencies 'muddying' what was said, or excess sibilance obscuring consonants? Maybe the clarity of consonants like T, P, or B was just absent?

I didnt test it that comprehensively and had no detailed control of the listener to be able to do such tests.

However, I used it in anger today and it worked well.

Its great being able to hold a radio conversation and listen to other direct cnversations going on around you.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.