Torch or Spotter?

Alex34

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I am undecided regarding the type of tactical lighting I should use with my aeg. Should I use a torch type or a spot light type?

The two I am undecided with are both Clulite brand lights;

The torch is a bit smaller and is 1000 lumens: http://clulite.cluson.co.uk/led-torches/506-ml1000.html

The spotter is a bit larger, has a longer range but less light spread: http://clulite.cluson.co.uk/led-torches/384-pro-spot-torch.html

The big differences between the two is range and light spread. The torch will light an entire room where as the spotter will... well... spot. It will be used for cqb mostly in Bunker51 and Reading Mall type skirmishes. I am new to airsoft and have yet to use any tactical light and wanted to get some advice on which type is best.

Here is also a youtube video comparing the two: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K1943JU-Y_o

Thanks for reading.

Neither of those, waaaaaay too expensive for purpose compared to other non-milspec torches.

In the case of torches, the best bet is usually either the more expensive SureFire torches (> £100) or China UltraFire clones (< £10). I think Nextorch has good rep too.

The SureFire and UltraFire torches have bright, dim and strobe modes (can depend per model) and there are a lot of them which can be focused by a sliding lens housing on the torch.

Neither of those, waaaaaay too expensive for purpose compared to other non-milspec torches.

In the case of torches, the best bet is usually either the more expensive SureFire torches (> £100) or China UltraFire clones (< £10). I think Nextorch has good rep too.

The SureFire and UltraFire torches have bright, dim and strobe modes (can depend per model) and there are a lot of them which can be focused by a sliding lens housing on the torch.

Thanks. I didn't really want to spend more than £50-£60 on a torch. I know the Clulite models don't have any extra features, ie strobing, focusing etc but I know and trust the brand.

Are there any other good options in that price range or maybe up to £70 with mount?

• Supporters

Thanks. I didn't really want to spend more than £50-£60 on a torch. I know the Clulite models don't have any extra features, ie strobing, focusing etc but I know and trust the brand.

Are there any other good options in that price range or maybe up to £70 with mount?

Have a look for Night Evolution models, they're surefire clones at sensible prices.

• Supporters

Zoomable Cree XM-L T6 + 18650 Battery & Charger ignore the 2200lm max output, that is just a theoretical maximum of the LED, but whatever the output actually is, these put out enough light for any airsoft situation and are lightweight. If you want an 'offensive torch', one that is proper painful to look towards, search XML T6 on ebay.com (so that you're buying at prices aimed at yanks, but they come from China anyway so it makes no difference) and find the zoomable type which takes 2 x 18650 batteries.

Actually for a little bit more you can find these zoomable torches in 6061 and 7075 aluminium, rather than zamak aluminium alloy which is heavier.

Thanks Ian.

I've gone with a £16 clone T6 off ebay for now as I cannot yet make up my mind on the branded torches. Went for one without all the frills, not a fan of 5+ mode torches. Will see how I get on with it and decide if a proper tactical torch is really needed.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.