ASG Dan Wesson UKARA?

GingerBreadMan

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I am looking at buying an ASG Dan Wesson and looking at the reviews in airsoft world showed this

http://postimg.org/image/cmivvvp5l/

I know it sounds weird, but is there a possibility this could be true?

I know ASG make a 4.5mm/.177 version of this that would just require 18+ and a face to face sale.

I am wondering as it would be horrible in two tone and my parents don't have UKARA or other defence.

Edit: image not working :/

Haha I feel so too. I just wondered if there was any alternative and that it could be classed as an air weapon if sold with the correct shells. Is there a definition of an air weapon that states calibre or energy? Because if I was buying it in .177 form then I'd need no defence

• Supporters

There were some posts a while ago about a Desert Eagle being sold as an air gun. On the seller website it just said you had to be over 18, face-to-face etc. They also sold airsoft pistols and stated that you needed UKARA or have it two-toned.

I believe there is an upper power limit for air guns before they are considered firearms and any gun below a certain limit is classed as a toy (is it 1 joule?). Then the VCRA comes in because some of these `toys' look too realistic.l

Probably this is just one of those loopholes that exist in the legislation but don'e think many air gun shops try to sell airsoft guns as air guns.

Yup, upper limit on air pistols is 6ft/lbs, 12 ft/lbs for rifles. Anything more than that and you need a firearms certificate to possess one and have to have the secure steel cabinet etc to keep them in etc.This does not mean however, that weapons below that limit are not classed as firearms, since the legal definition of a firearm in the UK is: 'a lethal, barreled weapon from which any shot, bullet or missile can be discharged'. This opens the can of worms about what is 'lethal'. Of course even a fairly weak air pistol and certainly a weak air rifle can kill birds, rodents and such, so this means they are indeed lethal, since the definition of lethal does not only pertain to humans; lethal only means 'capable of causing death'. And I'd be inclined to think, as anyone who has ever been hit by one would, that a 500 fps airsoft sniper rifle could certainly kill a small bird or rodent, even with just a plastic BB, so by that definition, an airsoft weapon could be argued as being 'lethal' by a lawyer who was smart enough to twist some words.

It will appear then that by law they can be purchased as an air weapon, however doing so means it is much more expensive http://www.pellpax.co.uk/airsoft/air-pistols-1/co2-powered-pistols/dan-wesson-8-silver-co2-6mm-airsoft/1946

That also doesn't include the £20 for their special delivery service.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.