Best M4 Platform

Kaza66
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I was going to take my TR16 Ranger apart today, mainly wanted to see how it came apart so i could start fitting new parts etc.

When trying to slide the upper reciever off it got stuck about an inch down the line. Investigation seems to suggest it's the wires which are keeping the reciever from sliding off (It's front wired to the handguard)

Now I'm not too keen on the idea of snipping the wires everytime I wan't to take it apart.

I'm mainly wondering what platform, and gun, would be best for taking apart, upgrading, etc as, well, I find it a bit boring having a gun you can't tinker with or upgrade.

Noo don't like L85's, (Sorry Ed) would have to be something M4, MP5 style I think,

Well, you could go G&G CM MP5 as you could break it during the upgrades, and just so you can get the idea using a cheaper gun?

ICS M4's with their split gear boxes are supposedly very easy to work on.

I had one secondhand but couldnt take it apart because the last owner who royally f*cked me over with it had worn out all the screws.

I find the G&G CM range very easy to fully dismantle and work on from what I've seen (the carbine and the raider L) but their front sight posts are molded and they have a few other external drawbacks.

My G&P M16 is lovely to work on, both externally and internally but installing a hob rubber was the biggest pain in the arse I have ever experienced, genuinely took me a good fiddly hour with silicon lube everywhere and me banging my head off the wall in frustration lol.

I also tried to disassemble my front wired King Arms M4 the other day, and ended up pulling most of the wire through into the magwell so that I had enough slack to pull the top receiver off fully. Only problem now is that I can't manage to push the wire back into the handguard...

post-4268-0-72766000-1376140910_thumb.jpg

Take your upper reciever back off, try rotating and pushing till your wires go back through the whole in the delta ring. There is usually two little connectors, they're probably misaligned with the hole.

Thanks for the advice, I've managed to fix it now. Basically the wire insulation was too big to fit back through the hole. So I've just removed some of it and put the bare red/black wires through. As you can see from the photo, the insulation wasn't in good condition anyway so I'm not surprised it wouldn't fit.

Archived