New to Airsoft help needed :)

CoxyMK5
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, its all helpful information. Is there a charge for the licence?

It's actually classed as a defence, but lets not get into that again we all know what you mean.

Most sites, or at least my local one charges you for site membership (which in most places will class as a defence) (£30 at my local site) then once you pay for membership they will send your UKARA off for you free of charge. (But not free of charge when you think about it cause you have to pay for the membership) In most cases it's worth it because the membership will usually entitle you to a discount every time you play and sometime free games.

No, there shouldn't be, if you become a member at a site they usually have a membership fee, not to sound like a d*ck but there isn't such a thing as a licence, what you need to purchase a RIF is a valid defence against prosecution ( personally I knew what you meant but some people like to jump up and down on newer players if the mix the two terms up)

What mike said, although if you were sold a realistic airsoft gun without being asked for a defence such as the UKARA database registry, the seller is prosecuted not yourself.

You can play at any site you wish with or without registry on the UKARA database, the only thing you need the UKARA defence for is when you're buying realistic guns which have no bright colours on them

Right i got ya, whats a good price for assault rifles / pistols / snipers the price ranges from £100 to £1000 i don't want to pay stupid amounts but want a reliable weapon is like £150 good for a rifle? I know its hard to put a price on weapons but a rough estimate would be good :)

Personally, I'd go for something in the G&G Combat Machine range, such as the CM16. A great price for what you get and will easily compete with rifles double its price.

http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info.php?products_id=5645

For a pistol I'd recommend spending £100+ but probably less than 150 as you'll be wanting a holster, spare mags, gas etc. A good option would be the WE G18C Gen 4. Great on gas efficiency and a lovely little pistol with a good range, and the WE G17 Gen 3 is pretty naff isn't it Ed? Kidding, there both excellent guns, but the G18C gen 4 comes with inter-changeable grips and full auto.

Go with kaza's suggestion, don't buy a sniper rifle as your first gun. Sniping is expensive to take up; you need to buy a good rifle (which can cost £200 up) and then you need lots of Laylax or PDI internal upgrades. It all adds up, just ask some of the snipers on here. As for pistols, don't bother with them 'til you're comfortable with your rifle :)

But yeah, good starter equipment consists of:

• The gun (of course) the best starting options are either G&G, SRC or CYMA. My CYMA MP5 hasn't failed me yet, although many people look down on them. When it comes to the gun, just pick the model you like the most
  • Some camo clothing- you can grab a CS'95 DPM shirt and combat trousers off Ebay for under £30
  • A set of webbing or a small assault vest- PLCE webbing is practically indestructible, it'll probably outlast the person wearing it. The South African assault vests aren't too bad to start with, and they come in every camo pattern under the sun.

After you've got the basics, I suggest getting a couple of good batteries to replace the one that comes with the gun as they tend to be rubbish. A good one will last you a game day and a bit on a full charge. An extra mag is a good idea as well

Yay, me and him are starting together, looks like everything I need to know is covered :D

What's the make double eagle like? I've looked at a few of there guns and they look good!

My first gun will hopefully be, mp5k, aug or mac10/scorpion, there the ones I like at the moment ;).

And tlsx grenades I think there called ^^

What's the make double eagle like? I've looked at a few of there guns and they look good!

My first gun will hopefully be, mp5k, aug or mac10/scorpion, there the ones I like at the moment ;).

And tlsx grenades I think there called ^^

Eeh. I'd try and avoid double eagle if I was you. What website were you looking at? Honestly I'd spend the little extra money and get a combat machine, or a CYMA, like Tac suggested. You'll get much much more for your money and as a start off gun. You cannae go wrong at all.

• Supporters

Some good advice above: +1 to don't get a sniper rifle, or a pistol, and spend your money on extra mags for your rifle. I'll add that your boots and eye & teeth protection should be your first concern.

German Para Boots - currently the cheapest UK supplier. Indestructible waterproof boots that will save you from a broken ankle even if you put a foot down a rabbit hole while running - put insoles in them for comfort and tape the back of your ankles and/or wear Thousand Mile Socks to avoid blisters.

Interlaced Wire Mesh Goggles - this type give the best vision and you'll have no problems with fogging lenses. These, however, are the best compromise between good vision and protection.

Interlaced Wire Mesh 1/2 Face Mask - also available in other colours from same supplier. This type has a 2nd strap which makes them sit more firmly in place when you run. Bear in mind you may well have to bend it and/or add padding inside to make it very comfortable and, depending on which rifle and how you shoulder it, this kind of tough wire mask can interfere with how your cheek rests on the stock.

Also, IME you should be able to get CS95 trousers and shirt for less than £20 delivered from fleabay.

PLCE webbing is indestructible but may not be so good for a 1st load out, because of the weight, the way it is worn and used, and also because it's so robust that it's sort of awkward at first. Still, it's cheap - currently going for around £20-25 delivered from fleabay, assuming you have the patience to get the best deals. You might be better off with something like this. That one is Desert Disruptive Pattern Material (DDPM) which are always very cheap; they also commonly come in DPM, the green, brown, tan, and black camo the British army used to use, which can be had for less than £20 delivered sometimes but, since postage is going up, more like £25; they also come in plain OD or black but those are rare and often expensive... although :)

The South African style Recon Vest is available brand new for less than £40 delivered and, as Tac says, comes in any camo. However there are 2 drawbacks and 2 things to be aware of: 1) the ammo pouches will only fit NATO STANAG mags in them (M4, M16, SA80, etc), no 7.62mm size mags like H&K417 or M14, nor AK, MP5, G36 mags, 2) the pouches are closed only with velcro, they have no press studs or strap & buckle, which means that they are not as secure when tou're crawling about on your belly through undergrowth and, to be aware of, 1) the hydration pouch on the back is actually divided into 2 sections, upper and lower, which is not the right shape for any of the standard 1.5, 2, 2.5, or 3L hydration bladders available - you can fit a 1L bladder in each, but they are more difficult to find and can be quite expensive, or you'll have to modify the inside of the pouch. 2) some of the ammo pouches are on the sides of the larger utility pouches which means that, unless the large pouch is full, mags in those ammo pouches flap about a bit.

While i was having a look for you i noticed these Croatian Army Assault Vests for £21 delivered:

$T2eC16NHJHQE9nzE)jsvBQoQgbTFJQ~~60_12.J

...which is a decent price for a vest, but also means you'll have something very few others will be wearing.

Oh yeah, and DE make sh!t AEG's, but their shotguns have a reasonable reputation.

• Supporters

Thanks Ian for the info, what gloves are worth getting i can imagin getting shot in the knuckle or finger makes the most hardened players shed a tear lol

Yeah it does! And it happens quite often :( I once got my thumb paralysed for a couple of days after a close range shot hit the big knuckle!

TBH the best gloves for stopping the pain of being shot are this type, but they don't look very cool, eh? Next best, without spending silly money, are Viper Tactical Gloves, then British Army Northern Ireland (NI) Gloves. If you want the dog's bollocks, these are they.

I use these gloves: http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-hand-protection.htm/strike-systems-tactical-gear-glove-desert.htm

They work just fine and have a nice carbon fibre knuckle pad to protect, well, your knuckles. Quite pricey but definitely worth it. If you don't want to pay that price look around on eBay for somethim similiar; http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=airsoft+gloves&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Yeah i deffo think i would be more than happy to pay out on a decent pair of gloves, with regards to extras such as Flashlights Scopes and rails and grenades flash bangs anything like that where would be the best place to get them from. And what sort of price is acceptable?

• Supporters

Just found these - brilliant if you've got small size hands: you could literally hold a MK12 flashbang while it went off and you would only feel a sting like your hand had been slapped. They're usually about £40+P&P

You're best getting pyro's from the site where you skirmish b/c they can only be sent via courier otherwise, which makes them more expensive than if you did buy them on site, unless you buy loads at once.

Flashlights - is an area where there is absolutely no reason to buy the expensive brands over Chinese brands / clones b/c they all use the same Cree LED's and aircraft grade milled aluminium. There used to be the problem that the cheaper type did not remember the last mode it was in so you had to switch through the list: Full Power, Half Power, Low Power, Strobe, Emergency Flash in order to get to the function you wanted. It seems this problem has been cracked b/c the last one I bought cost me about £7 delivered and does remember the last mode. The C8 is a good torch (I've got one) + remote switch + top qual mount and the V Shark looks good too - I'm planning to get one of them soon.

Scopes - no. You want a red dot. It depends what will look the part on your gun and how much you are prepared to spend. For eg I recently spent £115 on one of these. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but it was easily £40 over-priced - i could have got the same thing in a 552 replica from Helmet World on fleabay for literally half the price, but i don't have rail space for the longer sight. You can get a serviceable generic red dot for £20-30.

Rails - if you want rails on your rifle, best buy one that has them already on it. There are a whole raft of different manufacturers and types of kit, some of which is mutually compatible and much of which only fits certain guns. What you should consider for a front rail, or RIS (Rail Integration System i think), is either a vertical foregrip, of which there are loads (£5 for cheap'n'cheerful - £25 full aluminium + a bit more for full ally grip/bipod) or an angled foregrip (AFG) of which there are a few clones of the Magpul PTS ones, which are just as good, and cost about £10.

Well thats all down to opinion really, I could stand here and say you get what you pay for, and others would argue differently. Though generally, you get what you pay for.

For grenades it depends really, if you think you're going to be using them often I'd get a BFG (Blank Firing Grenade) These use blank firing shells and are re-usable. Meaning they are cheaper than buying a £2 grenade that can only be used once. They can be found here: http://blankfiringgrenade.co.uk/shop/category_9/V.T.G.versatile-training-device.html?pse=apq

Now scopes. I think you should seriously consider whether it will be worth it for you factors to consider:

-Your face protection- will you be able to see down your scope?

-In a game scenario will you have time to look down your scope before shooting or will you just fire a shot as a guider and adjust accordingly

-Do you want to be spending money on a scope when your basic gear still needs sorting?

-Would you want a zoomed scope or a standard red dot, which would be more beneficial to your style of gameplay?

Scopes can be anything from a 30 quid red dot to hundreds of pounds worth of zoomed ACOG.

As for flashlights you need to consider:

-Would it be beneficial considering the site/s you play on?

-How much power would you want from it if so?

Rails:

-Would you mount anything on it, or does it just look nice?

-If it just looks nice, I'd still tell you to get it, but get the essentials sorted first.

And fcuk you Ian you beat me again. <_<:angry:

Think that's me all sorted! Are AEG blowback guns any good, I found this, http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info.php?cPath=268_318_403&products_id=6981

It's G&G Mp5 :)

Think that's me all sorted! Are AEG blowback guns any good, I found this, http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info.php?cPath=268_318_403&products_id=6981

It's G&G Mp5 :)

I wouldn't say theyre not good by any stretch of the imagination. Can put a bit of extra stress on the gearbox, but it's G&G so you can't go wrong really. I'd say go for it.

Archived