New to Airsoft help needed :)

CoxyMK5
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

I want an MP5 but I'll probably go for the SD6 variant.

The thing which has put me off so far is the size and shape of the mags - you need dedicated pouches to carry them. Now I've got a black molle plate carrier I will start keeping an eye out for good ammo pouches, such as Blackhawk Strike, going cheap. But then again, I have other things, including at least one maybe two guns, higher on my wants list.

I know snipers aren't good for beginners but for future reference what makes and models would be good to have and scopes? Do any of you use snipers?

TM VSR 10 You can't go wrong. But you would need at least £250 aside for upgrades.

Ok ill give it a few months before looking into snipers, I'm a pretty good shot with a rifle so might be a good move some day. With regards to gear boxes on assaults are they easily changed and what difference would it make?

Ok ill give it a few months before looking into snipers, I'm a pretty good shot with a rifle so might be a good move some day. With regards to gear boxes on assaults are they easily changed and what difference would it make?

I'd try not to focus on the gearbox. The G&G ones are usually spiff standard. I'd go for a tightbore barrel, 6.01, 03, or 04 mm. Possibly a better motor if your looking for ROF then a higher spring and better hop up rubber for a range and FPS increases.

• Supporters

I've recently bought an A&K Dragunov SVD and I've already spent about £100 extra on it and not skirmished it yet. Bear in mind that I've managed to keep that figure low by sourcing parts from the Czech Republic and Poland, but there's at least another £50 to go on a tight bore barrel, may well need a new hop rubber (even though I already bought 1 new with the advanced hop unit :lol: ) so up to £15, and definitely a scope - I may get one 2nd hand, but otherwise that's between £70-130 depending on the make.

To buy the tight bore barrel that I actually want will cost US$265+P&P from Hong Kong & very likely about £50 import VAT & customs handling. If I do get that inner barrel, I will also need an outer barrel adaptor £16 & either a barrel extension (£15-20) + flash hider (£16) or a suppressor (£30 minimum).

Now, also bear in mind that these expenses have not covered any advanced parts for the cylinder/piston and no spring change, b/c the stock ones should do ok, at least until I get used to playing the sniper role. The hundred quid-ish I've already spent does include a mid cap mag, but I want at least 1 more (£19+P&P).

Seriously my friend, don't bother. At least until you are familiar with the sport. Maybe try out somebody else's rifle for a day or two: see if sniping is for you before you spank any money.

Oh yeah, and that's without paint too: I already have flat black & clear coat, so I need tan, olive, and brown = £21+P&P

PPS: don't worry about messing with your gearbox until you've got a better idea of how the sport works. Believe me there's plenty of things you can spend money on for various aspects of it, such as extra mags, cool clothing, extra mags, webbing, gucci eyepro, extra mags, batteries & chargers, optics, extra mags, helmets, radio comms, extra mags, BFG's, and a few extra mags are always a good idea... you get me?

I've recently bought an A&K Dragunov SVD and I've already spent about £100 extra on it and not skirmished it yet. Bear in mind that I've managed to keep that figure low by sourcing parts from the Czech Republic and Poland, but there's at least another £50 to go on a tight bore barrel, may well need a new hop rubber (even though I already bought 1 new with the advanced hop unit :lol: ) so up to £15, and definitely a scope - I may get one 2nd hand, but otherwise that's between £70-130 depending on the make.

To buy the tight bore barrel that I actually want will cost US$265+P&P from Hong Kong & very likely about £50 import VAT & customs handling. If I do get that inner barrel, I will also need an outer barrel adaptor £16 & either a barrel extension (£15-20) + flash hider (£16) or a suppressor (£30 minimum).

Now, also bear in mind that these expenses have not covered any advanced parts for the cylinder/piston and no spring change, b/c the stock ones should do ok, at least until I get used to playing the sniper role. The hundred quid-ish I've already spent does include a mid cap mag, but I want at least 1 more (£19+P&P).

Seriously my friend, don't bother. At least until you are familiar with the sport. Maybe try out somebody else's rifle for a day or two: see if sniping is for you before you spank any money.

Oh yeah, and that's without paint too: I already have flat black & clear coat, so I need tan, olive, and brown = £21+P&P

PPS: don't worry about messing with your gearbox until you've got a better idea of how the sport works. Believe me there's plenty of things you can spend money on for various aspects of it, such as extra mags, cool clothing, extra mags, webbing, gucci eyepro, extra mags, batteries & chargers, optics, extra mags, helmets, radio comms, extra mags, BFG's, and a few extra mags are always a good idea... you get me?

Thats £338.60 at a minimum... Time to edit my above post... :P

• Supporters

Thats £338.60 at a minimum... Time to edit my above post... :P

I make it the gun + £270-ish minimum

Sweet! I guess I'll look into that mp5 then ^^.

What good sites are there in the uk? Big outdoor ones?

What sort of mag pouch would be needed for mp5 mags?

I wouldn't say theyre not good by any stretch of the imagination. Can put a bit of extra stress on the gearbox, but it's G&G so you can't go wrong really. I'd say go for it.

Ay idea on the ROF or FPS on this gun anyone?

These should do, http://www.flecktarn.co.uk/flwmp3nx.html

Depending on you camo of course but they're easy enough to find in different camo.

Not sure on the sites, depending where your based, take a look here http://www.airsoftmap.net/Skirmish/

Cheers! That websites good with all the sites on! What's 'walk on' is that for non members of that site?

No, walk on just means that you're just paying to be there and you're not hiring or anything

Ahh I see. Do you have to be a member at every site you want to play on?

• Supporters

Yeah, just get a membership at a site you're likely to go to most often, unless there are significant benefits on offer for joining another.

You can get Viper molle-stylee MP5 mag pouches, proper molle Condor ones, dedicated drop leg ones, and hard plastic molle ones too, as well as those PLCE-stylee ones that Kieran linked to. Just bear in mind that whatever you spend on mag pouches, they will be useless to you if you sell the gun, because they don't fit much else - Skorpion mags maybe, or extended pistol mags (of which you'll never need more than 1 anyway).

I would expect you to get about 11-12 rounds per second too, from an 8.4V battery (700-ish rpm), but I think the FPS will be about 330, not 350. After you've got at least 1 extra hicap mag, but better 3 midcaps to go with the hicap it comes with, your first foray into upgrading your own guns could be to fit a 6.03mm tight bore barrel (TBB), which, b/c it's very short, ought to give you +10, maybe a couple more FPS increasing your range some, but will improve your accuracy too. Or you could go the spray'n'pray route: forget the TBB, get a gun tech to fit a 105 spring (b/c V2 gearboxes are horrible pigs to work on, apparently - I dunno, I've been a V3 enthusiast from the get go) - it will bring your FPS up to about 345 and then a good sticky hop rubber (which you will probably have as stock) will give you the same range as an expensive gun.

• Supporters

Just noticed these while I was checking something else - the sale price is for non-standard camo, but that's a good thing in my book.

Just noticed these while I was checking something else - the sale price is for non-standard camo, but that's a good thing in my book.

IAN YOU LEGEND!!!! This is exactly what I've been looking for!!

These should do, http://www.flecktarn.co.uk/flwmp3nx.html

Depending on you camo of course but they're easy enough to find in different camo.

Not sure on the sites, depending where your based, take a look here http://www.airsoftmap.net/Skirmish/

Do you know of any vests that have mp5 mag pouches on? Or can you buy a plain vest and add/remove pouches on them? Me and Craig are say on our iPads looking for stuff now :)!

Do you know of any vests that have mp5 mag pouches on? Or can you buy a plain vest and add/remove pouches on them? Me and Craig are say on our iPads looking for stuff now :)!

Yep (*Steals Ian's link with a devilish smile*)

These do: http://www.actionhobbies.co.uk/searchresults.aspx?searchterm=Begadi%20MP5%20Chest%20Rig

More of a chest rig than a vest though.

So a chest rig is something that can strap to a vest?

Just looked at kwa FPG lol looks like an amazing smg!

Archived