Airsoft Forums UK

G&G GR14 HBA L (EBR)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have had this gun for 6 months now, so it's fair to say I know a bit about the pitfalls of ownership.

I am not going to start on about the real steel history, because its not that type of review and we all know how to use google.

What I am going to do is give you an honest opinion on the up and downs of ownership, hopefully so that you can make an informed choice should you ever feel the M14 itch like I did.

The was my second ever RIF, I got it after 4 months of skirmishing because a wanted a DMR style rifle, I always loved M14s and the EBR looked the best.

What I didn't realise was that calling a rifle a DMR does not make it a DMR! And that it's a lot more involved than that.

The bad;

It's a pain to put the battery in or take it out. You have 6 Allen head screws to undo and put back in, this gets old very quickly.

The hop, it's a brilliant hop, it's ultra stable and so easy to adjust. So why is this in the bad section? Because this rifles hop was blatantly designed for a much stronger spring and it will over hop all weights of BBs by default (even when turned off)

I had to mod the hop by shaving the hop pillow down by quite a bit, If you have to do this with a stock rifle that fires 330 fps something is wrong.

It weighs a lot, with a scope and ammo it comes In at just shy of 6kg, that doesn't seem a lot, but after 4 hours of running around it adds up.

The motor mounting brackets, they are made of cheap pot metal, they are thin and they'll break very easily. This is a clear design flaw. If you do break them would need to get the part number and mail G&G, they'll charge you $40 (£25) In total with shipping from Taiwan. I did this once for me and another time for a friend who has one. (You can get the motor mounts from evike too)

The first time you take I apart you'll regret it. The charging lever and fake bolt need to be at a certain position before they'll click back together, I you use too much force because they are in the wrong position you'll break the charging lever.

The magazines are proprietary and only G&G and CA ones work.

The rear mini rail is a fraction higher that the main rail!!! In order to fit a scope you'll need an M14 scope rail, but beware because if its too long it won't go on because of the rails above the barrel.

He flash hider is secured with a 14mm ccw twist castle nut, great news, because it'll accept my silencer, nope, the thread pitch is non standard, so you'll need to have a special adapter made by someone who know what they are doing, and has a machine shop...

Requires a far bit of upgrading before it has he bite to match its bark, I spent £300 on mine and it works ever so nicely, but then consider the fact you spent £400 on it to start with, what could you get for £700, hmmmm. (That's 7000 packets of space raiders, by the way)

The good;

Looks evil, I can't overstate that enough, it will turn heads, even if it is all talk and no trousers.

The sound of the bolt catch, wow, just wow.

It's an M14 what's not to like?...

In conclusion;

it's a bit of a labour of love, but you want an m14 DMR, and you like looking badass (or at least thinking you do), then buy this gun and then pretend its perfect to your friends, or you could just buy an M4 and not encounter half the problems, spend less money and get similar results, but you'd be boring, and people would point and laugh (in my head anyway)

• Supporters

I had the wood version, I had the same hop issue, but mine came shooting at 390fps out of the box, so I just stuck a tightbore into it, loaded it with .30s and wwwoooooaaahhhh, best not get in the way of the barrel because if you do, you're going down, even if you're 65m away.

Most fun I ever had was mounting an Aimpoint to it. Line people up with the red dot, pull the trigger... "Hit" it was probably the most satisfying thing ever.

But, the shape of the grip on the standard M14 gave me horrific issues with my wrist and I never really liked the 'Nam look of the gun, it didn't fit in with everyone else's modern looking stuff, so I sold it to a mate.

To say that £30 on a tightbore can make it a flawless DMR though, it was a pretty epic gun. Did you get yours downgraded at the shop or something? 330fps seems low.

I guess there might be a US and European spec model or something.

The wooden "veteran" version comes pre upgraded with a stronger main spring, it's supposed to fire hotter than the regular top tech, 390 FPS sounds right.

it's a shame the EBR version just gets the standard internals, because it screams DMR when you look at it.

I got my filthy paws on a SOCOM 16 and I transferred most of l my upgrade parts to it so the EBR is back to stock now.

I use the SOC 16 with a 552 on it, and it's a pretty good jack of all trades, not hot enough to be a DMR but hot enough to get the drop on other AEGs whilst stil being site legal, and Although its not great I can use it in CQB.

I'll post some pictures in a little while

• Supporters

How'd you manage the eye relief with the scope that far forward? Do you field it with the stock collapsed? Doesn't look like the most comfortable of set ups.

Liking the forward placement of the EOTech on the SOC 16 though.

You are correct, it's not comfortable, and no you can't get the correct eye relief, but that was as far back as I could get the scope, I bought a an M14 scope rail, which is something you absolutely need to do if you want a scope on an M14, but is was too long and interfered with the top rail... Like I said make sure you get the right one.

Archived