Using propane in GBB pistols and SMG's

ScoobySnacks
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I was browsing EBay and came across a propane adaptor which I believe allows one to fill gas magazines from camping type gas canisters. It looks like it might work out cost effective as I use a fair bit of gas in the MP9.

The question is, has anybody tried it? Does it work ok? Does it affect the FPS? Does it work out to be cost effective and as easy as buying green gas?

I've read that you have to use "silicon" to lubricate the magazines. Does anyone know which types of silicon oil to use?

• Supporters

I have a mate who uses it in his g18c the only down side he said was having to strip/clean/lube his gun more often.

I use bisley silicon gun oil spray in my gbb (but I don't use propane as I have co2 mags) and generally give my gun/mags a good clean/lube every 5 to 10 mags keeps it running sweet as a nut smells nice too ;)

• Supporters

Propane is the same power as green gas (green is propane with lube in it), the silicone oil you have to add is a specific weight of oil that you can buy from airsoft innovations. As for whether its safe to run in your gun, that's up to you, if you can run green gas in them you can run propane no problem.

Thanks guys.

I'll go for one of the adaptors then. Now just need to find a good source of cheap propane (does it need to be pure propane, or will the propane/butane mixes work?) and the oil.

Is it the same oil that goes in the Tornado grenades, as you mention Airsoft Innovations?

Needs to be pure. Butane will be at a different pressure, so will not work correctly. Mixed will be just the same. Get 100% propane.

GoOutdoors sell them. Think it cost me £7 each last time.

• Supporters

Most economical way to do it of course is to buy a giant 25kg bottle of propane and use that to re-fill the smaller stove type bottles. A 25kg bottle could feasibly last for years unless you skirmish a LOT and exclusively use gas. Even then it reduces costs to almost nothing when compared to buying specific airsoft gasses.

I run my KSC glock19 on propane. Mainly for the winter as the cold and normal gas = 2 shots and vent!

kicks far harder and no cold issues!

Archived