chest rig or plate carrier to go with MTP

adam bussey
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

right as i always do when i get new uniform i have to have appropriate gear to go with it, this time it is because i am joining the army cadets as an adult instructor and i want my own gear any low cost gear that i could use?

Low cost and MTP don't really go hand in hand. The MTP airbourne webbing is about £179 (and most others are £££, unless you like Kombat) but these are cheaper. If you want something a bit different, this might be the answer.

As for plate carriers- cadet direct has these . If you want to buy from somewhere different, no worries, but I'd suggest cadet direct because they have a lot of products from MoD suppliers.

Low cost and MTP don't really go hand in hand. The MTP airbourne webbing is about £179 (and most others are £££, unless you like Kombat) but these are cheaper. If you want something a bit different, this might be the answer.

As for plate carriers- cadet direct has these . If you want to buy from somewhere different, no worries, but I'd suggest cadet direct because they have a lot of products from MoD suppliers.

• Supporters

To go Camping in....

Adam Better off just getting a Belt Kit it's all you get in basic and D&D with your Bergan will be easier

• Supporters

PMC's Legally are not allowed to wear Cammie's in use with any Force so Tan Will be your only Option,

i still recommend a belt kit and just get a PACA Replica

This rig is mainly for use with cadets right?? Chest rigs and PC/AV are a total waste of time!

as an instructor the amount of kit you carry is silly and also ideally you need kit as close to what the cadets use as poss. Also may be worth checking with your CO as to what they will let you use.

My pet hate from being an instructor was the idiot instructor with all the Gucci kit that looked nice but did not fit the purpose of what it was needed for. I used issue DPM PLCE webbing with 1 ammo pouch and an NI patrol pack for normal field craft or a short back bergan for exercises.

If its £70 including the belt and pouches you're going to be out of luck for any decent gear. Speaking for experience cheap options like Viper will just not hold up and they are basically help together with air and magic.

I would suggest the WAS PLB belt in coyote tan, can be found on UKTactical

what about this?

Warrior 901 Omega

http://www.uktactical.com/acatalog/901_Omega.html

and i have never had any problems with viper for the 5 years i have used the assault vest i have

Well its out of stock, WAS don't produce their Professional range anymore and has no where enough storage space for rations etc

Need something more like this http://www.uktactical.com/acatalog/mk1.html (although it is also out of stock they still make them)

This would be good http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/warrior-assault-systems-belt-plus-5-pouchs-paintball-service-use-/121096668813?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item1c31ec868d

To be honest Viper kit is not as bad as people think. The patrol kit i used at work for 5 years and had no issues and that was used 11 hours a day!

BUT for carrying heavy kit and the abuse it will get from field craft i would not trust it.

If it were me I'd go old school and use OD PLCE webbing. Getting harder to get but is old school cool!

For cadet you need to remember that you will webbing needs to have ALL the kit as stated in the manual (plus little extras to make life easier) and then you will have all the training aids, first aid stuff, extra kit foe the little darlings that loose/forget stuff. A chest rig simple belt rig that you would use for airsoft is just NOT up to task!

Adam

I'm an Sgt instructor in the ACF.

I have an Osprey Mk4 MTP Plate carrier and to be honest its just to dam heavy even with the soft plates taken out(this is now for sale on ebay.

I now have a Disciple Battle belt, with My Mk4 Osprey pouches on it along with A new issue Bergen and side pouches, Also on the Bergen it has MOLLE straps I have put on a couple of UGL pouches on here(as they are larger than the utility pouches and have a useful Velcro divider).

I have found this more than enough for my Fieldcraft weekends, and on Annual camp I will just use my DPM short back Bergen with an MTP cover on it.

AS an instructor you will be issued the new PCS kit, I have bought an extra set, along with a UBAC's and bush hat.

The Lowa desert boots are a must as the ones you get issued are only good for fieldcraft.

If you need to know more Ie lesson plans etc drop me a PM as I have loads of info and lesson plans I can help you with.

Adam

I'm an Sgt instructor in the ACF.

I have an Osprey Mk4 MTP Plate carrier and to be honest its just to dam heavy even with the soft plates taken out(this is now for sale on ebay.

I now have a Disciple Battle belt, with My Mk4 Osprey pouches on it along with A new issue Bergen and side pouches, Also on the Bergen it has MOLLE straps I have put on a couple of UGL pouches on here(as they are larger than the utility pouches and have a useful Velcro divider).

I have found this more than enough for my Fieldcraft weekends, and on Annual camp I will just use my DPM short back Bergen with an MTP cover on it.

AS an instructor you will be issued the new PCS kit, I have bought an extra set, along with a UBAC's and bush hat.

The Lowa desert boots are a must as the ones you get issued are only good for fieldcraft.

If you need to know more Ie lesson plans etc drop me a PM as I have loads of info and lesson plans I can help you with.

thanks mike i may take you up on that offer once i have done my training week

To be honest Viper kit is not as bad as people think. The patrol kit i used at work for 5 years and had no issues and that was used 11 hours a day!

BUT for carrying heavy kit and the abuse it will get from field craft i would not trust it.

Used a Viper rig for half a day, tore, got a replacement, that tore before it was even properly used.

TBH its worth spending a little extra and getting somehting that you KNOW will last

If it were me I'd go old school and use OD PLCE webbing. Getting harder to get but is old school cool!

For cadet you need to remember that you will webbing needs to have ALL the kit as stated in the manual (plus little extras to make life easier) and then you will have all the training aids, first aid stuff, extra kit foe the little darlings that loose/forget stuff. A chest rig simple belt rig that you would use for airsoft is just NOT up to task!

am i missing something? Nick why did you copy what Junior already said lol

i think he meant to quote junior

I used to have one of them and it was okay ut no where near as good as either a full chest rig or belt

am i missing something? Nick why did you copy what Junior already said lol

Sorry, the quoting thing messed up..

What I mean to say was I had a Viper rig and it last a whole half a day before it tore, got it replaced and that one tore before it even got into the field. Its far better to spend a little more on kit you KNOW will last then save a few bucks and risk it on a viper type rig

so what would you guys suggest to keep a low profile but carry all the gear i need? i find belt rigs uncomfortable hence the assault vest or chest rig/plate carrier

Archived