The Film Thread- no spoiling please!

TacMaster
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Been watching vietnam era war films recently for my history class- best so far has been full metal jacket. Been watching Platoon in bits as well- it seems promising although it's a hell of a lot more serious.

Been watching vietnam era war films recently for my history class- best so far has been full metal jacket. Been watching Platoon in bits as well- it seems promising although it's a hell of a lot more serious.

Check out tunnel rats, its not bad. And one of personal favourits if you havnt seen it, we were soldiers

Also try hamburger hill, wich is more in line with the truth about vietnam and what the Americans did to there own troops.

OH MY f*cking GOD.

I watched My Way last night and it totally rocked.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1606384/

Really think it's a film that blows Saving Private Ryan out of the water and goes down as one of my favourite films.

Yes i'm still on my Asian film streak, It switches between Japanese/Korean/Russian/German. But I don't think you'd even notice it not being in English, its one of those films gripping all the way through.

Directing and acting were goddam fantastic.

• Supporters

I'll have to check that out. I am sure people might rage over this, but I thought Saving Private Ryan was a bit overrated. It does have some great scenes but I found it a bit tedious overall, whilst I loved band of brothers(think it may have the same production crew?)

Watched the second Hobbit film the other night: I thought it was pretty decent but a load of stuff has been changed for no good reason from the book. Hard to explain what without spoilers, plus 2 characters have been added...

I'm not even a Tolkien fanboy as i'm really struggling to get through the last Lord of the Rings book lol.

Also try hamburger hill, wich is more in line with the truth about vietnam and what the Americans did to there own troops.

Apocalypse now is also a classic, but maybe less informative.

I also like We were soldiers (Mel Gibson film about Americas 1st major battle)

And if you want to get into the politics a bit more, The Quiet American is set before the Americans got fully involved (Michael Caine)

I'll have to check that out. I am sure people might rage over this, but I thought Saving Private Ryan was a bit overrated. It does have some great scenes but I found it a bit tedious overall, whilst I loved band of brothers(think it may have the same production crew?)

Watched the second Hobbit film the other night: I thought it was pretty decent but a load of stuff has been changed for no good reason from the book. Hard to explain what without spoilers, plus 2 characters have been added...

I'm not even a Tolkien fanboy as i'm really struggling to get through the last Lord of the Rings book lol.

Saving private Ryan starts great but how can they keep the pace up after the D Day scene.

I saw Gravity in 3D last night. Very traumatic story, but too Hollywood for me- although it's interesting that they did pretty much everything in CGI except the actors and some of the props.

• 4 weeks later...

finally got to see warhorse with it sitting on my dvd pile for months and i was simply blown away. quite possibly the best ww1 movie there is(i fully expect this to change in the next few years as theres bound to be some made to commemorate the centenary of it) definitely worth a watch! was expecting something along the lins of black beauty but tis definitely a good reason for the buzz from this one.

Archived