Re-thought my money-spending plan - time to change my L96, a lot.

Liam Porter
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I'm so jealous of you right now. I'd love to have a sniper with the potential of taking out targets at 100m+ I didn't think that was even possible for an airsoft gun, in fact I'd have thought it was on the brink of impossibility with a 12ft/lbs air rifle.

I'm going to have to see this for real at some point.

Certainly set on getting the Ares one as soon as I can afford it.

• Supporters

What do you mean taper? And inner barrel or outer barrel?

If you mean slope outwards a bit at the end, then yeah the inner barrel does.

• Supporters

The real fluted barrels gradually get more narrow towards the muzzle end, I assume he's asking if your's does the same.

• Supporters

I don't think so, if it does then it's hard to tell and unnoticeable.

• Supporters

Got it kinda sorted today. Sorted enough to have a few shots and chrono, not sorted enough to be happy.

Put all the parts in at Urban Assault today, Prometheus hard rubber included. Few shots through the chrono: 570-590 FPS. Shooting high, which I'm not too fussed about as I can solve that easily, the inconsistency is annoying though.

Didn't have time to do anything else to it though.

Took it home, took it apart, lubricated the cylinder and piston, cleaned the barrel out. Did a few test shots, which is where I encountered a few problems..

The hop rubber (Prommy hard) was too hard. The lip that stops it sliding completely on the barrel stopped the BBs, like it should do, for the cylinder head to push them into the chamber when I push the bolt forwards. As it's a hard rubber, the BBs literally jammed here. The rubber was so hard, that I had to slam the bolt forward (not a good idea, but I couldn't get it apart or anything as it was partially cocked). When I took it apart, it had damaged the BB badly, and ripped the hop rubber slightly.

I thought I had the rubber on wrong, took it off, re-assembled the rifle - same thing. Thought I'd risk taking a shot after forcing the BB into the chamber - it was jammed so badly and the air seal so good that it stopped the piston from reaching the back of the cylinder head.

Put a MadBull blue hop rubber in it (soft rubber), and no jamming issues whatsoever. Haven't chance to test FPS or accuracy/range as it got dark.

Any ideas on the hard rubber? As I'll be needing it soon for the best air seal possible. Otherwise may have to try a PDI W-Hold Bucking.

Another thing, when I shoot (a BB, not dry firing) the rifle 'rattles'. It only happens when I shoot, I thought it was lack of barrel spacers (was only testing at first and the spacers were hard to put in the outer barrel), but now I've added spacers, it's still the same.

This happens with any weight BB (from .2 to .4). I think it used to happen when I used .2s at 500 FPS. Could it simply be the high FPS causing it (.4s still travelling at 415 FPS, whereas they travel at 355 FPS when 500 FPS with .2s).

I'll upload a video tomorrow to show what I mean about the sound.

Any ideas guys?

• Supporters

I must say the rifle is looking very sexy!

As soon as i have some money saved up ill be getting mine very similar ;)

When it comes to screwing the barrel into the bolt housing, the best method is two people, two tea towels and just hold on while the other person turns :)

• Supporters

I think we may need to modify the barrel slightly Arden.. I think it's where we had to cut it that's causing the cylinder to scrape, may need filing a little more?

• Supporters

Ah yes .... good point, well whip it out Tomorrow and have a look if there is a burr, i did file it a little but it could need more, i would of thought there would be more tollerance than that though?

Have you had any luck with the rattle, is it a possibly that it could be the hop rattling because its not very tight in the outer barrel

• Supporters

It's mixing brands though, PDI and Laylax, which is probably the cause of it.

Might be, I'll put one layer of tape or something around it tomorrow. It could be anything though.

• Supporters

Yeah will have to be careful though as putting tape around could affect the o-ring on that hop design, and also cause the levers not to move properly

Archived