WOW

Samoolol
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Had my First airsoft skirmish yesterday, in a word - WOW :D Spent the day at The Grange in coventry playing some objective games and when you're used to paintball, it was a dream!

Before yesterday I had it in my head that I'd enjoy CQB the most and therefore I was looking at getting a nice compact m4, g36, mp5 or something of the like.

I'd decided on the G&G GR15 L, the long version for outdoors but not the XL so it was still suitable for CQB.

Now, I've come to the conclusion that to get me started I'd really like to focus on more of an outdoors game with open forests, fields ect as the Grange was awesome!

My question today is - Would the XL version increase range/accuracy? I already plan to fit a tightbore to which ever gun I choose so that's sorted. From what I know, the only real difference between the L and XL is the barrel length, no more power or anything. Would that really increase range/accuracy that much?

Sorry, ANOTHER question! I was planning on getting an EOtech clone 552 but after yesterday, I think some kind of scope may suit me better as I like to hang back and take my time. I was thinking around 4xMagnification? If anyone can recommend a decent scope that'd suit a GR15 that'd be great! Bear in mine the GR15 front sight isn't removable so it'd have to b high enough to clear that.

I definitely want to stick with the GR's or similar as I Love their blowback and LOVE all that rail space (A must for me).

All my thanks in advance!

Sam.

Tightbore will increase accuracy however your are limited by FPS at different sites so dont go for a magnification scope and think you can sit back and sniper with it. In my opinion you cannot. If you want to act like a sniper get a sniper or grab your weapon and get forward :)

Personally I'd go for either a Eotech clone (I have one for sale used once for £45 ;)) or a red dot sight with magnification aimpoint scope. That should work the best :)

The Grange's CQB site you can get away with a magnified sight, but if you go some place like the academy you will struggle with it.

The Grange's CQB site you can get away with a magnified sight, but if you go some place like the academy you will struggle with it.

Scratch the magnified scope idea then :)

As long as I know a longer barrel will increase my range/accuracy at least a tad, I've happy! I'll definitely go for a 552.

Longer barrel won't really make a huge difference.

My Mp7 has a 6 inch barrel and can get a good 50m+

Longer barrel won't really make a huge difference.

My Mp7 has a 6 inch barrel and can get a good 50m+

I see, well then the L would probably be good enough! One thing I'm worried about is the tightbore - I'd already researched and found that the L barrel is 357mm, now after researching the XL I've found the same! Don't know what to believe and would rather not buy the wrong length tightbore.

Thanks again guys,

Sam.

• Supporters

Inner barrel length might be the same. It's the outer barrel length that will be longer on the XL, so there'll be space for a longer inner barrel if you want one, it'll just come supplied with the same inner barrel as the L for the ease of manufacturing or something.

Tighter barrels will increase both range and accuracy, at least in my experience.

A 4x scope will suit anything, I have an ACOG and it's great for everything, it can focus on targets only 5m away and the eye relief is good so you don't need to worry about that. But don't think that being able to see further means you can shoot further or more accurately, you're changing your sight picture, not the gun's performance.

Lastly, you mentioned the front sight not being removable. It will be. But more importantly, you don't need your sight to clear it, if the sight has a zoom it won't focus on the front post - you just plain won't see it, it'll be like it isn't there.

If it isn't a zoom sight, the aim point will either sit level with, or on top of the front post, so that's not an issue either.

Inner barrel length might be the same. It's the outer barrel length that will be longer on the XL, so there'll be space for a longer inner barrel if you want one, it'll just come supplied with the same inner barrel as the L for the ease of manufacturing or something.

Tighter barrels will increase both range and accuracy, at least in my experience.

A 4x scope will suit anything, I have an ACOG and it's great for everything, it can focus on targets only 5m away and the eye relief is good so you don't need to worry about that. But don't think that being able to see further means you can shoot further or more accurately, you're changing your sight picture, not the gun's performance.

Lastly, you mentioned the front sight not being removable. It will be. But more importantly, you don't need your sight to clear it, if the sight has a zoom it won't focus on the front post - you just plain won't see it, it'll be like it isn't there.

If it isn't a zoom sight, the aim point will either sit level with, or on top of the front post, so that's not an issue either.

Thanks for the in-depth reply mate :D Makes a lot of sense. I'm going top stick with the normal L variant as It'll still be manageable if I do get up close. Unfortunately on the GR15 series, the front sight is moulded into the outer-barrel :( On real flaw every one seems to find with the cheaper G&G guns.

I understand what you mean with the scope not increasing the guns performance (goes without saying :P) but I would mainly use the scope for seeing how I need to adjust my aim (As in if the shots are just to the right/left/what ever, I'll have a clear view of where I'm hitting if that makes sense).

I think I'll stick with the 552 :) I spent the entire day getting myself behind the enemy team anyway so generally I could be as close as needs be, plus the wide view range of a 552 will help.

Thanks again bud!

Sam.

hi mate the difference between the l and xl is that the ris goes round the front sight post which is molded with the outer barrel.i took mine apart for spraying the other day and noticed that the metal block which holds the outer barrel and only accepts g&g barrels can be taken out and you can put normal barrels in etc.as for tightbore barrels i would reccomend a 6.03mm barrel over a 6.01mm barrel as it gives more accuracy and range as air can get round the bb as it travels down the barrel which reduces drag giving more range and for accuracy the air will cushion bb.6.01mm barrels give more accuracy than a standard g&g barrel but not as much as a 6.03.it will give you a 15-20fps increase as all the air is behind the bb.one thing that needs to be taken into consideration is some barrels wont work well with certain hop rubbers,where as others can be fantastic,i put a modify barrel and a firefly hop rubber in my g&g gr-16 and it was amazing.

hi mate the difference between the l and xl is that the ris goes round the front sight post which is molded with the outer barrel.i took mine apart for spraying the other day and noticed that the metal block which holds the outer barrel and only accepts g&g barrels can be taken out and you can put normal barrels in etc.as for tightbore barrels i would reccomend a 6.03mm barrel over a 6.01mm barrel as it gives more accuracy and range as air can get round the bb as it travels down the barrel which reduces drag giving more range and for accuracy the air will cushion bb.6.01mm barrels give more accuracy than a standard g&g barrel but not as much as a 6.03.it will give you a 15-20fps increase as all the air is behind the bb.one thing that needs to be taken into consideration is some barrels wont work well with certain hop rubbers,where as others can be fantastic,i put a modify barrel and a firefly hop rubber in my g&g gr-16 and it was amazing.

Thanks for that mate :) Going for the L so that I can still take it indoors if needs be. Agree with the tightbore, all the reading I've done suggests for an all round better barrel, 6.03 is the way. Chosen a madbull 363mm - 6.03. It's a tiny bit longer than the stock barrel but will be covered with a suppressor/flash hider.

Thanks for the info mate :)

Sam.

Archived