New Gun or Upgrade?

Casey
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey All,

I been playing since November now and really enjoying it. But im starting to get fed up with having to make up extra ground to engage. I am currently using a standard SRC M4 A1 which i cant really moan to much about apart from the distance. Its currently kicking out 332fps so not to much room to increase as the local site is limited to 350FPS.

I been told if i get a better barrel as in tighter not length it will help improve the distance. Is this correct? if so where could i get such a barrel in the UK? What other parts would be worth upgrading to improve the gun overall?

If its not really worth upgrading then i might look at getting something new. But this time i would like to get something that would be worthwhile and not spend another £200 and then find i need to upgrade again.

Generally speaking a tighter barrel will improve your grouping/accuracy rather than your range. You usually get a small FPS increase - about 10fps or so.

Poor range is usually down to a bad hop and rubber. I'm assuming that your gun is all standard? I'm not sure if SRC take standard/Marui compatible hop units, but if they do you should find that getting a better hop unit/rubber will have more effect than the tightbore, but it wouldn't hurt to do both. I'd go with something like a Madbull Ultimate hop and a Guarder clear hop rubber. If you can't replace the hop itself, then just changing the rubber is worth a go - it'll cost peanuts and is relatively easy to do.

Ah right cool, Thanks for the info

Ill take a look around on the web see if i can find anything on replacing the rubber and hop for SRC. The book that comes with it does say you can take everything completely apart.

• Supporters

As far as barrels go, you can pick up a madbull black python tightbore for around £40 and they do the job just fine in my opinion.

Look at getting a 6.03mm diameter one, your stock barrel will probably be about 6.05 or .08, so although the difference is literally tens of millimetres, rest assured it will make a noticeable difference.

In my experience barrels do increase overall performance, including range, on their own and it will probably up your fps to the 340s so I'd certainly recommend a new barrel, most shops stock them, I got mine from Patrol Base.

Standard M4 barrel length is 363mm as well, in case you're not sure what length to look for.

As above though, if you're into the idea of upgrading, a new hop rubber or entire unit is never a bad idea.

Nice one Ed!

Ill order one of them barrels tonight, I havent done an upgrade before but in general im very good with bits an bobs and working on small things.

So its got to be done! I got some cash saved just in case its goes really wrong and i need a replacement haha!

Just before you spend money on new parts, have you actually looked at setting the hop properly for your chosen ammo? You don't actually mention having tried changing anything, so I'm assuming here that you bought it, took it out of the box and just started using it without setting it up or maybe even cleaning the barrel before use.

If you haven't done it, you need to first clean out the barrel, in case there was any grease or dirt left in it when it arrived. Then set the hop so that you get the longest, flattest flight of the BB for the weight of BB you use. Here 0.25's need a little more hop than 0.2s, similarly up the weight range, although most standard AEGs are best on those weights. Heavier are better in spring sniper rifles. But 0.25s will usually give a better flight than 0.2s in sub 350fps AEGs.

If you've already tried all that then yes, a new tightbore barrel and decent hop unit / hop rubber / H nub should improve things and get you a bit more range and possibly accuracy.

Archived