E&C M4A1 Upper charging handle issue

JinxDuh

Hey guys, got my E&C M4A1 receiver set today from China and it's all good except one thing.

Pulling back the charging handle doesn't open the dust cover, at all. The little "flag" that a lot of AEG M4's have on their charging handle, isn't on the E&C. No biggie, I have a spare specna one laying around so I'll fit it, I thought. The "flag" slides past the button on the dust cover and doesn't drop it.

On the E&C M4A1 upper, instead of the area being flat like a lot of standard M4 uppers, it has a small sphere shaped (Kind of?) cut out where the "flag" should slot into and push the dust cover retention pin down. I'm rather lost on what to look at for potential fixes, etc. 

I also tried a specna m4 dust cover replacing the E&C one but the Specna was too short.

Any help greatly appreciated to help me finish my MK18 build 😬

• Supporters

Is this happening when the gun is assembled, with the gearbox in?

13 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Is this happening when the gun is assembled, with the gearbox in?

It's happening with it assembled and unassembled. The little flag piece isn't reaching the button to drop the dust cover as you pull the charging handle back either way, which is really odd. It's the first time I've seen an upper receiver with a sphere shaped cut out rather than being straight and smooth. I'll upload some pictures tomorrow of it to help explain, just was hoping somebody may have had an idea as to why or been in the same situation!

I just had a look at my 3 other E&C builds (M16A1, A2 and XM177) and they're all using a flat sided upper receiver where the flag sits for the dust cover. 

This is the "flag" I refer to by the way. Not the technical term that's for sure 😂

SPECNA ARMS - Charging Handle Part EDGE™ pour AR15, M4, Original Parts -  Safe Zone Airsoft

• Supporters

I'll have a look at mine later, from the outside there seems to be an extra little tag that sticks out the top of the ejection port that flips the cover open.

3 minutes ago, Lozart said:

I'll have a look at mine later, from the outside there seems to be an extra little tag that sticks out the top of the ejection port that flips the cover open.

If it's any further help, the dummy "bolt" has a lip which slots into the charging handle which I don't think I've seen before either.

E&C – Page 5 – 18 Airsoft

With the specna arms "flag" fitted, it stopped the upper from sitting over the gearbox. 

• Supporters
16 hours ago, JinxDuh said:

If it's any further help, the dummy "bolt" has a lip which slots into the charging handle which I don't think I've seen before either.

E&C – Page 5 – 18 Airsoft

With the specna arms "flag" fitted, it stopped the upper from sitting over the gearbox. 

That's what mine looks like too (E&C M16A2 receiver set). To be fair, mine arrived preassembled so it's not been an issue but the charging handle end is like this:

ec-mp064.jpg.973459a364a58a82ed5e79b61eacff92.jpg

22 minutes ago, Lozart said:

That's what mine looks like too (E&C M16A2 receiver set). To be fair, mine arrived preassembled so it's not been an issue but the charging handle end is like this:

ec-mp064.jpg.973459a364a58a82ed5e79b61eacff92.jpg

When I got mine it didn’t have the flag part at all, but the E&C flag looks different. How is your upper shaped? 

Image 1 is the E&C with the ball shaped cut out, image 2 is a Specna m4 upper with the “traditional” flat side

IMG_6405.jpeg

IMG_6406.jpeg

• Supporters
16 minutes ago, JinxDuh said:

When I got mine it didn’t have the flag part at all, but the E&C flag looks different. How is your upper shaped? 

Image 1 is the E&C with the ball shaped cut out, image 2 is a Specna m4 upper with the “traditional” flat side

IMG_6405.jpeg

IMG_6406.jpeg

Definitely flat like your second pic.

Where did you get it from? I take it it came in a proper E&C package and everything?

5 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Definitely flat like your second pic.

Where did you get it from? I take it it came in a proper E&C package and everything?

18Airsoft in China, yeah it was in an E&C box and all.

I think I’ve worked it out.

The pin is worn, the mock bolt should run along it and drop it down. A replacement dust cover is £14, so I’m just going to remove the pin and let it hang down (And save £14 😂)

Bit annoying it’s worn so fast but 🤷‍♂️

IMG_6407.jpeg

IMG_6408.jpeg

• Supporters

As long as the charging handle pulls the mock bolt out the way of the hop unit it doesn't really matter what the dust cover does!

2 minutes ago, Lozart said:

As long as the charging handle pulls the mock bolt out the way of the hop unit it doesn't really matter what the dust cover does!

Yeah, I have to hold it back to get to the hop wheel but not the end of the world. Glad it’s a rotary hop fitted 🤣 I did order a delta armoury one with some other bits so I may give that a try though as it was only £2