WE Open Bolt SCAR H

Hawkeye450

Hi all,

I’m a relatively experienced airsofter & have been playing with AEGs for the past 18 years…

Recently I’ve dipped my toe into the GBBR world & come into possession of a WE open bolt SCAR H.

This thing is an absolute beast & the recoil is mega. 

Just wondering what the verdict is on these things? Like, what’s the life expectancy of the stock parts… is there anything I should consider upgrading before even playing with it? 

Any advice ref parts & reliable UK based retailers/stockists for said parts would be great.

Thanks in advance!!

Picture is just for attention…

IMG_9118.jpeg

I've bought some parts from here with no issues... https://www.kyairsoft.com/ .

I've not fielded mine yet due to a previous owner fecking up an npas installation but it was easily fixed with the parts I got from kyairsoft.

I'm a Scar fanboi & this is probably one of my favourite pews, kinda waiting for decent weather to use it in game but recently ordered some red gas but I suspect it might be a bit hot for my local site (hense the npas), I got 5 or 6 mags with it & 2 of them have lost the base plate so make sure your's are solid on the mag.

The mags are hefty so use sharpshooter sized mag pouches if you wear molle.

fyi... I found it easy to strip down for maintenance but make sure ALL the screws are tight as I found a couple of my body screws loose & one was missing (assuming they loosened due to the GBB).

I'm sure I've seen a couple in the classifieds with missing or broken fore sights so check it over & tighten/adjust them as you see fit.

I don't have any specific experience with the SCAR line but I can say that WE are decent for the price 👍

The trigger components do tend to wear faster than with more expensive GBBR companies but as Gavin said, parts are available from KYAirsoft.  (I have bought quite a few bits too)

You can also get a Steel trigger pack from Ra-Tech like THIS (Reliable shop)

So keep it serviced and enjoy 😁

Anything WE, Kyairsoft is the place to go. 

RA-Tech has a lot of hype however there’s a lot of horror stories of bad QC, tolerance differences messing up. Personally I haven’t bought any RA-Tech parts based on the poor feedback I’ve seen though. 

In terms of longevity, my WE G36 is my most used GBBR being fielded pretty much all summer for the past few summers and the internals are all holding up well!

Thanks for the advice ref: mag pouches on that one. Figured as it’s a 7.62 platform this would be the best option. Now to raid UK tactical for their mag pouch selection… 😉

sound advice ref the base plates too… will have a look at sniper taping them up, or getting some 7.62 magpuls for additional loss prevention.

i’ll deffo have to pick up a few more mags & have a look at the screws etc 🤙

15 hours ago, JinxDuh said:

Anything WE, Kyairsoft is the place to go. 

RA-Tech has a lot of hype however there’s a lot of horror stories of bad QC, tolerance differences messing up. Personally I haven’t bought any RA-Tech parts based on the poor feedback I’ve seen though. 

In terms of longevity, my WE G36 is my most used GBBR being fielded pretty much all summer for the past few summers and the internals are all holding up well!

The horror stories are mostly caused by people 'upgrading' one component and not everything then wondering why the steel munches their pot metal existing components.

On the RAtech front, I've got an RA tech trigger box in one of my L119's , only fitted it because I had it handy and wanted to try it. The original was still going strong and is now in my spares draw. However one that i fitted to a mate's was bloody awefull. I ended up using the RA tech trigger parts in the stock WE trigger box 

Interestingly I've not had a single part failure across any of my WE GBBRs and the L119's in particular get alot of use. They are my usual guns at a game day, i rarely run aeg's now, even in winter I still usually run GBBR's .

Mate's L119 needed part of the trigger mech replacing due to someone trying to force it safe while not cocked, so user error rather than failure in normal use.

If something does break, I'll replace with another stock part

The same same mate has the Scar H, it's been very reliable, but we did swap out the hop unit for an aftermarket one to improve accuracy,

Edited by Nick G

10 hours ago, Hawkeye450 said:

i’ll deffo have to pick up a few more mags & have a look at the screws etc 🤙

Sure there was a recent classifieds add selling WE GBB mags so go have a look.

On 19/04/2024 at 16:52, Nick G said:

On the RAtech front, I've got an RA tech trigger box in one of my L119's , only fitted it because I had it handy and wanted to try it. The original was still going strong and is now in my spares draw. However one that i fitted to a mate's was bloody awefull. I ended up using the RA tech trigger parts in the stock WE trigger box 

Interestingly I've not had a single part failure across any of my WE GBBRs and the L119's in particular get alot of use. They are my usual guns at a game day, i rarely run aeg's now, even in winter I still usually run GBBR's .

Mate's L119 needed part of the trigger mech replacing due to someone trying to force it safe while not cocked, so user error rather than failure in normal use.

If something does break, I'll replace with another stock part

The same same mate has the Scar H, it's been very reliable, but we did swap out the hop unit for an aftermarket one to improve accuracy,

Seems like WE GBBRs are pretty solid all rounders there then… especially if parts are relatively well available!!

Any advice ref the hop units for the SCAR-H at all?!

On 19/04/2024 at 20:09, gavinkempsell said:

Sure there was a recent classifieds add selling WE GBB mags so go have a look.

I may have bought a couple of GBBR SCAR-H mags off here recently… 😉 

will deffo keep an eye out for more!!

now wondering how many Mags people use for GBBRs. 
based on previous experience, I recon 5 or 6 should be enough… any thoughts?

I've got five for my M4 (hold about 40 rounds each) and that seems alright. I just pick my shots and let the hicap aeg types around me throw all their ammo away 😅

4 hours ago, Hawkeye450 said:

Seems like WE GBBRs are pretty solid all rounders there then… especially if parts are relatively well available!!

Any advice ref the hop units for the SCAR-H at all?!

I think from memory it was a TNT hop unit, probably a couple of years since we fitted it . Have to say it made a definite difference to performance.

Mags wise , I tend to take 5 mags out for a game with my GBBR's and a speed loader for a quick top up in quiet moments. I ususally get 2and a bit BB fills to a gas fill so I dont bother taking extra gas with me.

8 hours ago, Hawkeye450 said:

now wondering how many Mags people use for GBBRs. 
based on previous experience, I recon 5 or 6 should be enough… any thoughts?

I have 5 for my Scar-H but have 12 for my XM177 (6 in pouches & 6 in a bandolier), time will tell if 6 is enough or 12 is too much.(last game I felt 6 wasn't enough for my XM177)

On 23/04/2024 at 17:22, Nick G said:

I think from memory it was a TNT hop unit, probably a couple of years since we fitted it . Have to say it made a definite difference to performance.

Mags wise , I tend to take 5 mags out for a game with my GBBR's and a speed loader for a quick top up in quiet moments. I ususally get 2and a bit BB fills to a gas fill so I dont bother taking extra gas with me.

noted… I’m going to trawl through the internet and see what I can find.

i know that the barrels are the VSR style barrels, not the standard AEG ones, so deffo going to have a look at Hops & rubbers 🤙

On 23/04/2024 at 20:38, gavinkempsell said:

I have 5 for my Scar-H but have 12 for my XM177 (6 in pouches & 6 in a bandolier), time will tell if 6 is enough or 12 is too much.(last game I felt 6 wasn't enough for my XM177)

that’s a pretty good fighting scale of rounds ready to go!!

deffo feeing that 6 may be the magic number here!!!

if you want to keep me I. The loop with how those work out, that would be awesome!! 🤩 

20 minutes ago, Hawkeye450 said:

if you want to keep me I. The loop with how those work out, that would be awesome!! 🤩

Don't hold your breath, my next skirmish won't be till mid May.

48 minutes ago, Hawkeye450 said:

i know that the barrels are the VSR style barrels, not the standard AEG ones, so deffo going to have a look at Hops & rubbers 🤙

My go to for barrels are the Maple leaf crazy jets, used them in several GBBR's and most of my pistols. Also use M/L rubber along with their Omega nub .

On 26/04/2024 at 21:23, Nick G said:

My go to for barrels are the Maple leaf crazy jets, used them in several GBBR's and most of my pistols. Also use M/L rubber along with their Omega nub .

I’m going to have to look into these things… I’ve heard good things about the Crazy Jet barrel and Maple leaf rubber combo🙌🏻

I'm swapping away from the M/L rubbers in the rifles, as they do not last very long and frankly seem to suck up every single bit of crud and amalgamate with it. Silverback GBB ones are lasting at least 75-100% longer.